Long to short dialog....

Hi,

I have posted on here before in regards to the S-L program but I decided to do the L-S program.

I’m only on the second week of the L-S program that came with the Vancouver Series and I must say that I definitely feel the difference. It’s definitely a world class program; thanks Charlie.

The main difference that I feel is that in HS and in collage I never did any pure sprint work (i.e 4x30m). After warm ups we would jump right into 6-4-2-4-6 ladder or say some fast 300. Believe it or not Univ of Texas (girls) believe heavily in this; the training of Special Endurance type 2 only.

Anyhow, with this L-S program, after I do the sprint work; the 300s or the 600s feel so much differently and I guess it’s becasue I excited the nervous system?

More specifically, when I feel I need to cycle my legs faster on say the 300s it happens more quickly instead of having lag time when I was training under other people who did not utilize sprint work before endurance work.

One other thing, about the sprint work, I have noticed that after I shut down after a 95% effort on a 30m run I feel a tolerable pain like somebody is squeezing hard from my knees all the way down to my feet for about 30 seconds then it goes away.

Trust me, I’m ok and it actually feels kinds good…lol I believe this is from all the power my legs are generating as I took a 2 year lay off and got my over all strength up as my squat is up to 580 and change…

I have another question about Vancouver Series Graph. On week 4 in the acceleration:

4x10
4x30
4x30 blocks

1. I’m I suppose to run all of this including the 60 meters at 95+ effort?

2. I don’t have blocks so what do you recommend in this situation 3 point stance?

3. How much rest should I take in between all this?

1. yes

2. yes or even from a pushup or lying woudl work but closer to meets you’ll want to try and get access to some blocks.

3. Depends on what you need. A general guide here seems to be 10m = 1 min

Remember to adjust the sessions to fit your personal situation and abilities. The 60m may be too far and the total volume too much so be conscious of that.

Thank you!

Mr Francis or anybody else; what is the point of doing say 4x10 then 4x30.

What I mean is, why change the distance?? Why not leave it at 8x20?

There are two reasons- the shorter starts allow for more start opportunities with less fatigue and the longer starts cover more of the total capacity to accelerate rapidly. 30s are typically used because the majority of possible acceleration is over at that point and most of the speed change beyond that is a gradual drift upwards.

Hmm, thanks!!

Another question…lol

I just want to make sure; but the Special Endurance 1, what percentage are they suppose to be run at?

So far have been doing them at about 80% and no question the Speed work that I do before hand helps me greatly! Also, I’m no longer tired after the SE1 and I feel that I can push myself faster so this program is working!

What do you mean by 80%- is that effort or time?

That means in effort. I don’t like to muscle my way through training just for the sake of trying to go faster.

How do you gauge 80% effort? Time is finite and can be gauged to different intensities, whereas effort is subjective.

What are some personal best times in different distances and then what are your workout times for your distances? That would help

Ok I see what you mean. Well, let me just flip the question back to you guys. Quite simply I just would like to know how they are suppose to be run as I don’t like to time myself as I find that it distracts from my running.

So, for example, the speed work is 95%+ and I understand that but the SE1, I just want to make sure I’m in the right training zone. Like I said however, I don’t have any hard numbers. Uhh, times like this I wish I had a good coach so I could just have fun running.

By your description, you are prob running in the right time frame but the only way to know would be to get someone to time them. 95% is a time reference and might feel very easy from an effort point of view.