Lewis greater than Bolt

I thought Hay (biomechanist) got ahold of the Lewis jump video and claimed it was like 8.80 or something. He scoffed at the 30’ claim. I think it’s on youtube somewhere. I will find it if you send me cupcakes. Anyway, there are plenty of guys who hammered 9m+ jumps either slight fouls or wind aided or both. There is a jump where Pedroso is clearly well beyond 9m but it’s a foul…again on youtube.

Who would you choose to coach Ben or Carl ?

My view is that Carl had the levers and elastic strength to run faster than his pbs. Toms methods are good but I think in terms of developing acceleration and max vel there are deficiencies in his approach.

No doubt Carl could of run faster but so could of Ben.

He was running and jumping in to a sand pit in his back garden at the age of four. I have read his auto-biography and probably know even more about him than you do. He was ‘bold’ from the age of four, five or six, is what I meant. I didn’t mean that he suddenly got the idea as an adult, to try both events. i eman he was bold enough and self-believing enough even as a young child to know exactly what path he wanted. But his path was very focused. By the time of his high school years, he got a tape measure, and measured 8.90 meters in his back garden, just to see what it looked like. he also sowed the numbers: “27 feet” or something on the back of his jacket which he wore to school every day. when classmates asked him what it meant, he told them he’d be the high school kid that would jump over 27 feet in the long jump. Nobody believed he’d do it, but himself.
For you to suggest he discovered his talent, and was “allready” this and that is wrong, because no matter how good he was in his teens, he’d allways planned everything before-hand, long before he started prooving it on the field. I’d say he was bold, the epitomy of “reaching goals” is Carl Lewis. He’s not the ‘fell out of the womb and broke the junior record’ kind of athlete. He was just very driven. He was running and jumping in to a sand pit at age four, and actually visualizing the track & field version of the long jump.
He was bold all his life, which is why he became a very good jumper early on in his life. He didn’t discover his talent by “accident” as so many other sprinters claim of their own talents. Carl was driven, his elder brothers and sisters were more athletic than he was (for a while) and his parents were ofcourse, track coaches. Eventually, after 12 years of training, he starting getting very good, by the time he was 16 years old.

It doesn’t matter that you don’t believe it. Also, I can’t be arsed to fax you a copy of the literature from a sports biography (and even if I were to, you could Claim Carl lewis was biased.)

It’ll be easier if you just dissagree and don’t believe me, instead of me going and finding the articles and sources.

You probably also wouldn’t believe that one of my basketball team mates triple jumped 17 meters (without a full-time training schedule) , of the back of very little triple jump training, and when he was about twenty years old, because I can’t proove it.

You may also disbelieve that Deion Saunders was out-running the adults in weakend football games, when he was eight years old, because I can’t proove it.

I also can’t proove to you that a personal experiment in self hypnosis, pulled a muscle (without contracting the muscle). Admittedly, I was not aiming for a ‘pulled’ muscle.

Yes, that’s the problem with not getting credit for the LJ. You have no proof of what you could have done regardless of the reality.
The other point here is you can’t have it both ways. Carl started training at age 4 and according to Steve Davis, a Clemson guy who went to his HS, he ran 9.3y ht at 16. Carl then claimed Ben had no talent because he wasn’t that fast at a young age yet Ben didn’t start training- or growing till- almost 15 and had a lot of catching up to do on a 10 year head start. Of course Ben was behind initially but improved to 10.21m E by the end of HS.

Ah, I see - that makes more sense than how I interpreted it.

I’m not sure I understand the purpose of your second post, but let’s not worry about it.

I mean, you have been known to outright make-up stuff on this forum and you have never seen video of the jump, nor have most of the people claiming it was 9.28m, hence the reason why people don’t believe it.

You seem to have stuck your foot in your mouth once again:

The next day it seemed Indianapolis was intent on robbing him, as it did last year. This was, you will recall, the place where, in the 1982 Sports Festival, Lewis made a jump that some estimated to be 30 feet, only to have officials rule that even though he’d left no mark on the Plasticine that is used to detect a foul jump, his toe had broken the imaginary plane at the end of the board. Thus the sand was ordered swept before the jump could be measured. No such plane-breaking rule exists; the international and American rule books speak only of touching the ground beyond the end of the board. But the sand had been swept.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1120969/index.htm

Note that Kenny Moore wrote that article in 1983. It’s not like somebody just made it up.

That Carl made an outrageous jump (and that meet officials made an equally outrageous screw up) at the 1982 Sports Festival in Indianapolis is not open to dispute. Too many people of high reputation saw it, and Charlie apparently knows some of them–no surprise. The only point open to dispute is how far over 30 feet it was.

You might consider learning what the hell you’re talking about before you go around attacking people.

That’s my point about the situation. There is absolutely no doubt it was a huge jump and also absolutely no doubt the officials had no right to sweep the sand after finding no mark in the plasticine because that’s what it’s there for. Now those who don’t like Carl will diminish the jump and those who do might exagerate it.
No one would accuse me of being a Carl lover but I’m still sure it was just over 30ft based on my info. Credit where credit is due.

The only reason he jumped over 30ft mark was that he never steped on the board or plastecine but over it and that is why there was no mark in the plasticine and that is also the reason why he could land so far :rolleyes:

The tv coverage at the time didn’t show that.
Of course, nowadays the replay like at the WCs would show exactly where the foot was.

There was video footage of the jump on youtube a year or two ago, but I was unable to find it when trying today. It was in a fairly long (9-10minutes or so) documentary style movie that was quite old, and I think had some mentions of ‘scientists’.

Have you seen it? Is there video? No. Is there photo evidence? No. Is Sports Illustrated a reliable source? Apparently, only when it is convenient. Do you know it was 9.82m? No. Does anybody? No. Quit being a dumbass.

Perhaps you are referring to this one:
http://www.arielnet.com/media/play.aspx?video=1052

Thanks - that is the same video I’m remembering.

That’s a typical crap video in which they want you to see something that is not shown.

Cool, yes I should of mentoned initially that I meant from an early age, rather than when he was older.

Cheers mate, because I don’t want this to turn in to another Fogelson “V” Goose argument thread.

No I have not been known to outright make-up stuff. I have merely been percieved to make-up stuff (by you). Because you just don’t seem to be able to understand that some other people might know a few things you don’t and visa-versa. Is it not concievable to you that I might possibly have a few different experiances than those you have had, and therefor; I will know more in some quaters than you? (just as you will know more in other quaters than me.)

Perhaps now fogelson, with the weight of support in this thread, you might realize that I am not the only one who knows of the carl lewis jump, and didn’t just make it up, and niether did I get my referance from the same referances mentioned in the thread.

I got mine from the horse’s mouth, because I read Carl Lewis auto-biography “inside-track” way back in 1989. However, I’m glad that other people in this thread have heard the same thing that I have, which means you can stop accusing me of making things up, time and time again, jumping on my back(just because you have never heard of it yourself.) Some of us have been fans of track and field for longer than yourself and might know a few things that you don’t and visa-versa.

Carl claimed something in an autobiography, ergo such claim is true. Yep, that sure has a lot of validity. Would hold up great in court. Make your claims to the IAAF and they may ratify it, hell, they ratified FloJo’s mark.