Less is definately more...

All my recent reading has been related to overtraining (reaching) and intensity. (See Fry, Kraemer et al, Journal of Applied Physiology, 1994) From my reading I have been experimenting with this simple training cycle adapted from Dreschler.

Wk1
1 6x3r @ 90% 3RM
2 6x3r @ 92% 3RM
3 3r @ 100%+ 3RM

Wk2
1 8x2r @ 90% 2RM
2 8x2r @ 92% 2RM
3 2r @ 100%+ 2RM

I was thinking even this may be too stressful. Possibly the third session should be 3x3r @95% with max tests every other cycle?

Yes, it’s easier to handle 50% loads, but you are not going to increase your strength levels that way. You are instead working on hypertrophy

REALLY?

Power cleans can improve pulling strength (albeit not optimally) and may be performed at loads as low as 50% max deadlift.

Marshall,

I don’t really understand your question…??? Yes, the faster you accelerate the bar, the greater “force” you exert. However, if you power clean 100 lbs quickly for reps, it doesn’t equate to power cleaning 300lbs for one (1) rep.

There is a belief that if someone works with 50% of their 1 rep max, and does the exercise quickly, that this will somehow carry-over to a higher 1 rep max. I am simply disagreeing with this idea. Yes, it’s easier to handle 50% loads, and the recuperation is easier, but you are not going to increase your strength levels that way. You are instead working on hypertrophy (muscle size not strength).

moving 100 pounds fast requires more than 100 pounds of force from the muscle - if this tension can be generated here, why can’t it be generated with a heavier load?

(I’m not saying one doesn’t need to train for maximal strength, just that power training can impact maximal strength)

Originally posted by David W

Wk1
1 6x3r @ 90% 3RM
2 6x3r @ 92% 3RM
3 3r @ 100%+ 3RM

Wk2
1 8x2r @ 90% 2RM
2 8x2r @ 92% 2RM
3 2r @ 100%+ 2RM

Is this adapted from the Cuban approach to weightlifting, it seems similar to what is there on training methods in Cuba in Drechsler? I am interested in trying this sort of training at some point. Is it just one exercise per workout or multiple exercises? The loads seem light if it is just three workouts a week, compared to the description in Drechsler, (9 workouts a week, squatting 4 times), what results did you get from trying these cycles out?

Hang on, it looks to me like the program calls for training at about 80% of your 1RM which sound quite reasonable for up to 6 sets of 3 or even a couple more sets at 2 reps.

Agreed that this takes a while in the gym, but while doing similar high set/low rep programs, I tend to super set an upper body and lower body exercise which dramatically cuts down on the time to complete the session and doesn’t seem to negatively impact my intensity. However, I don’t do this supersetting with the olympic lifts since they seem to hit virtually every muscle in the body!

xlr8

thats setsXreps right?
8 sets of 2 reps? since your foucus is strength you would need 3-5 mins recovery(full recovery)? so 8 sets can take anywhere from 24-40 mins? is that right?

also what does the 3rep max and 2 rep max mean after the percentage… for example does it mean you want to do 90% of you 2 rep max? and why would that be? why not just lower the intensity and have it in proportion to your 1 rep max…?

After 3+ weeks of those high weights, you’ll go backwards man. I’ve been there before, now I train on the otherside of the sprectrum :slight_smile:

with far better results, less stress and its more fun

At such low intensities 2 minutes recovery would be sufficient: 14 minutes

CCJ - I don’t consider this to be too tough. If I can lift 100 for 3 reps, 3’s at 90 will be piss.

Why would you train like this?

90 - 95% of 3rm for 3 reps, would be okay if your recovery was sufficient. I’m guessing.

Never it myself. If I lift at 3 reps it is generally 98 - 100% effort.

maybe I’m reading the setup wrongly - arghh looks confusing.

anyway I hang around 70% most of the time, and the rest 40-60%. working great so far.

Cool,

70% and 40-60%!?! Of your 1RM? Why so light?

xlr8

Rate of force developement baby :slight_smile:
Like they say, for athletic attributes, its not much much total force you can exert, its how much of that force you can exert at the fastest speed.

Use a light weight and apply the same force you do for a 1RM on it. Power output will infact outstrip heavier weights moved at slower speeds.
My 1RM and 3x3RM keep going up training like this so far.

I do go heavier every so often, about once every 3 to 4 weeks to find a new 3x3RM or 1RM every 9 weeks.

read these articles for some insight

http://www.renegadetraining.com/code_03_19_03/chris_korfist.html

http://www.renegadetraining.com/code_08_21_02/code_chris_korfist.html

http://www.renegadetraining.com/code_08_28_02/code_chris_korfist.html

http://www.renegadetraining.com/code_09_04_02/code_chris_korfist.html

http://www.renegadetraining.com/10_02_02/code_chris_korfist.html

http://www.renegadetraining.com/code_01_22_03/chris_korfist.html

Cool one, that is a great series by coach chris

OK, but three questions.

First, even though you are moving the bar faster, you are not generating limb speeds anywhere near the speeds you will see on the track or field. Why not save the speed for the track and the strength for the weight room?

Second, when you move the bar that fast, you don’t have time to develop maximal force and you may be therefore not recruiting high threshold motor units. The most powerful athletes in the world are sprinters and weightlifters. Sprinters are obviously at the speed end of the continuum, and weightlifters are at the strength end. However, you don’t see world-class weightlifters training with weights below 75% of their RM (or at sets of more than 6 reps for that matter!) Why would you think that this kind of protocol is optimal for developing power? I realize that you are seeing results, but how do you know that you wouldn’t see better results with a heavy lifting regiment?

I seem to recall that you said you are not doing much (any?) sprinting currently. Do you think that the value of this type of work would be less if you were addressing RFD through actual sprinting?

xlr8

Very good responses xlr8!

Agree with xlr8 and Pioneer!

I think it is probably beneficial for Col to do this stuff since he is not sprinting, but for sprinting and not powerlifting its probably better to sprint. It might even be better to sprint for getting high lifts once your sprint speed gets really good. Dave Tate probably couldn’t get to the point where sprinting is going to start dictating the lifting, which is why he needs to do this stuff. I have done the light speed training every other training day like Westside and now that I have cut it out am making better gains in the weightroom as well as on the track because I’m doing speed work, med ball, and high speed stuff.

put a 10lb plate on a scale, move it slowly up.
put a 10lb on a scale and move it fast.

Note the difference.
To move the weight fast requires you to hit Fmax pretty quickly and then you keep acclerating the bar all the way through. I feel this does recruit high threshold fibers.

I’ve lifted heavy before, I’m getting far better gains across the board now - strength, power, and mass.
I don’t have a separate speed day - i do everything in a single workout

Use what works for you. This works for me. Averaging 2.5-5lb gain on my all lifts per week not good? I am getting stronger and more explosive week by week. You can’t ask for anymore than that :slight_smile: