Length of GPP

Why don’t you start off writing out a couple of sample training weeks and take it from there.

Ok … here is the setup I was thinking about doing weekly in GPP.

Monday:
Short Warm Up
Intensive Tempo runs (1000-2800m)
Plyo’s
Strength upper body

Tuesday:
Long Warm Up
Starts and accellerations [(20-80m){300-600m}]
Medball
Plyo´s

Wednesday:
Short Warm Up
Continuos Tempo
Plyo’s
Strength Lower body

Thursday:
Sprint drills
Medball
Plyo´s
Speed endurance - anaerobic Glycolytic(600-1200m)

Friday:
Short Warm Up
Circuits (curcuits jumps w/ intensive tempo runs)
Strength upper body

Saturday:
Hills
Plyo´s

How’s that??

I don’t think your CNS is getting proper rest time. You are going fairly hard everyday except Wednesday, and then on Wed. you are doing continuous tempo which is bad for any type of sprinter. I would recommend doing Ext. Tempo instead. Here is an idea…

Monday - Speed Endurance
Tuesday - Ext. Tempo
Wednesday - Starts and Accelerations
Thursday - Ext. Tempo
Friday - Hills/Plyos
Saturday - Int. Tempo

I think this setup would be better as your CNS gets more rest and you aren’t doing Int. Tempo which is almost as bad for converting type II fibers to type I as continuous tempo is.

Anyone else?

Thanks 400stud, however I tried to keep in mind that my sprint goes all the way out to 800m. Initially I was thinking about Extensive tempo but though better of it since you mainly should stick to intensive tempo in the GPP being that this will better prepare your system to handle E.T when the time comes. Also I was thinking about some easy runs here and there, not enough to accomodate fiber conversion though. I set up muscle activation exercises after any tempo to reimprint on my muscles the speed factor (ie. wednesday’s plyo’s). Granted the rest of the order may be in need of some tweeking keeping in my I have to train in the late afternoon after work(4pm). More thoughts?

Is E.T. - endurance training?

You can still do Ext. Tempo, just longer distances. I don’t really see why you need to completely cut it out seeing as how you do some sprinting, I guess, so form work is in order, and Ext. Tempo makes it easier to work on form than long runs.

Tweek your micro a bit and let’s see it.

Intensive tempo doesn’t set you up for speed work the next day. you justify your selection of intensive tempo because you occasionally run the 800m. I think this is additional grounds to use extensive tempo with a higher volume, perhaps to 4000m with intervals kept primarily in the 100 to 300m range. The staying power for the 800m will be handled very well by split-run special endurance later on.

I though I read somewhere on the site that in GPP you would want to do intensive. I tried to look for the post but couldn’t find it again. More importantly, I need a specific definition for Extensive Tempo(E.T.). I’ve just finished seaching for one for the last 3 hrs and saw 2 different ideas on it. Which One???
One stated: Extensive Tempo= 200-800m and 100-200m >>>component=Aerobic Capacity >>>Effort=40-79% and 60-79% >>>Rest Interval=45sec-2min/30 sec/2-3min :confused: >>>Daily Volume=2400-4000m

The other: Just noted that it was 60-80% (HR 120-160) but didn’t give distances and daily volumes.

Alright, with that said, here is my new setup with the E.T. change to the best of my knowledge.

Monday:
Short Warm Up
Extensive Tempo runs (2400-4000m)
Strength upper body

Tuesday:
Long Warm Up
Hurdle drills
Speed End=Accelleration Dev [Glycolytic Short Speed End {GSSE}(80m@600-1200m)]
Plyo’s
Medball

Wednesday:
Short Warm Up
Extensive Tempo runs (2400-4000m)
Strength lower body

Thursday:
Sprint Drills
Hurdle Drills
Medball

Friday:
Short Warm Up
Circuits (curcuits jumps(plyo’s) w/ extensive tempo runs)
Strength upper body

Saturday:
Hills
Hurdle Drills

How’s it look?

Extensive Tempo can pretty much be reps of any distance. Most commonly they are reps of 100-200 meters and sometimes even 300-400 meters. The key is not the distances run. It is the intenisty which should be from 65%-75% and the rest (the rest must be kept short). A specific intenisty percent is not even that important. The important thing is that you are not getting accumulation of lactic acid since the goal of the workout is primarily recovery and cardiovascular. Also total volume can range anywhere from 1000 meters up. Frequently i use something along the lines of 10x100 with 30 secs rest with each 100 in 15-16 seconds. But remember it will get easier each time so the reps and rest much constantly change. Not the intensity.

last week I did 5X500 with 2 1/2 min rec. The times averaged 1.37.0. I have run 61s in the 500m before but if I had to guess what it would be now I would have to say 67s. So was this a good E.T. workout under the definition?

I did extensive Tempo yesterday and it went well, however I have accel Dev today and do not feel like I have any pop in my legs. Is this the right order to do this in or is it an adaptation issue? Also what was the rationale behind 100 to 300 range and can that be done straight through without sets. This is my 2nd week of GPP.

its an adaptation issue.

i agree. i made the mistake of in my tempo days of trying to run fast for the sake of running fast. i used up alot of energy on a day that was supposed to recovery. i have learned my lesson.

Also for the work outs that were posted in the above thread, have you tried to do the upper body before you run the tempos. it provides focus on form since you have already worked the energy system, also can show mechanical problems an lower back imbalances.

So Charlie, what do you think about my setup of the phase I posted last?

would gpp be different if u went from long to short… or short to long?

what is the maximum intensity percentage should you reach in GPP during extensive tempo workouts?

Invictus, I know ext tempo is not supposed to go above 75% but in GPP perhaps it could be pushed a little above since the GPP schedule as a whole is not too intense? Anyone?

That would seem feasible since the SPP would be between 80-90%. Lends for a smoother transition into speed endurance. So far I’ve been working out at 70% and I can feel the adaptation. Thanks!