Length of GPP

I wouldn’t compete till after April 18th. You have lots of competition available, so the problem appears to be a focus on the special requirements of your main event. Determine what your focus will be- and train accordingly- if you run the 110 hurdles, what possible contribution to your goal can 800m training be?

Funny you should ask … my primary event is the 400h. As I stated earlier I am capable of running at least 4 event well; the 400h, 110h, 400m and 800m. The problem is that I have never tapped into all three at the same time because none of my coaches could plan for that. I know it is a wide range and some of the events do not complement others but being good at these events translate into what I believe to be a balanced 400m hurdler. The agility,speed and power of a 110 hurdler makes the lows feel like they are not there; the 400m, which is the epitomy of speed endurance and quickness; and lastly, the strength and aerobic capacity of the 800m assures fatigue resiliency.

I don’t expect to break world records in all those events but based on several greats in the 400h, certain standards, such as these, should be attainable. Its on record that most great hurdlers ran 45 low or better. Some ran 1:45 or better in the 800m. A lot ran 13.6, but only one ran 13.2. I consider these bench marks for the race since on avg. the times these days are a joke compared to the past. Has anyone realized that at the 1988 USA Oly Trials, 4 guys ran under 48 sec!!! That is what I’m talking about!

Charlie, I assume the same applies to a 100m athlete. What was the greatest distance you had Ben running?

Ok … I’ve decided to go with a GPP of 6 weeks(3-1-3). This should allow for a longer SPP where I can really polish a wide base. So my dilemma is how to actually structure my GPP so that it will blend in smoothly. As I mentioned earlier my events are varied but primarily are the 400h and 800m. I will be running indoors come January and I want to improve my 400m(my achilles heel) significantly while maintaining my 800m strength. Here are my questions:

1. Is there an ideal workout order the week should follow(ie. Int tempo, accel dev, plyo’s, etc…)?

2. What pecentage of progression should occur from week to week over that period?

3. Would minimal distance runs still be acceptable besides my tempo work (ie- am/pm runs) to maintain aerobic capacity?

Any thoughts … Pleasssse?

Such a good thread.

posted by charlie

I don’t like integrating meets into a “training cycle”. I used to see this with a lot of coaches at the end of warm weather training camps- the results were almost invariably a rash of injuries. How can you be ready to compete during a hard training period? What could you possibly gain from the bad result that will inevitably follow? Train to get ready to compete and compete when you’re ready

I have been looking for an answer to this for a long time!

Any takers on my last question? Really in need of a setup for my 1st 6 microcycles. I’ve looked everywhere and did not see anything similar to what I was trying to do.

Invictus. I still don’t have a handle on what your emphasis is. Even if you want to compete in a wide spectrum of events, you need to have a training focus. 110hurdles or 800? Your move.

My event is the 400H, so that will be the ultimate emphasis. I believe by improving my assets(technique+speed) in the 110H and aerobic capacity for the 800m that these with directly translate into my event. However lets not forget the cornerstone of all of this … being able to run very well in the flat 400m. I am not planning on consistantly competing in the 800m (maybe 2 races [one indoor/outdoor]) because I would use it as a bench mark tool, as well as something to give me a change of pace. I would be happier with a PR in the 400m and 110h.

Ok … here is my initial attempt at my plan. I know there are no workouts listed yet but I felt a skeleton would be good for now.

Charlie what is the greatest distance you would have a 100m sprinter running when training?

Depending on the approach, 300m.
As for the plan, Invictus, are these speed volumes or intensities?

The plan indicates volumes. The Intensities should follow the plan somewhat but not to the letter. I used the 3-1-3 scheme up the Jan and the intensity increases 8-10% each week.

Charlie wht do you mean by depending on the approach? Do you mean what phase the athlete is in?

A program can run from long to short or from short to long, depending on the athlete’s strengths.
Invictus: I see too much variation in volume. The adaptations should be primarily related to intensity.
Think in terms of averages. If you want to average 500m per speed session, what sort of volume would you have to hit on your highest days to compensate for the low days (you show a variability of 6X!)? How could you advance both intensity and volume to such a degree?

Charlie,

If I have PB’s 23.91 and 54.42 in my two main events, what would you say is more of a strenght and how should I run…long-to-short or short-to-long?

Again my apologies for my lack of scientific support for this setup however I’ll do my best to explain as well as learn. 1st off … I have’nt input the exact distances per session yet, however I know that the intensities throughout the program will mainly increase 8-10% until pre-comp starts; of course with adequate rest periods. As for the increase in intensity and volume; sorry for the confusion. The chart displays intensity percentages, However; lets say I start off doing 5X400 w/60 sec rest … I do expect to raise the # reps to 8 or 10 being that for a workout like that I would be trying to increase my aerobic capacity. Mind you that type of work will only be in GPP at around 50-70% effort

As for my volume on my highest days (i.e.- intensive tempo), it will be between 1500-2800m to work my anaerobic/aerobic system. The speed day volume(to start after GPP)will depend on which system I will work on a given day (anaerobic alactic[300-600m] or glycolytic[400-800m]). I Think some of those speed sessions can be combined by the way.

You mentioned “a variability of 6X!”… that threw me, can you elaborate.

If it relates to volume, your graph shows 6x as much at some times vs others. You need to add numbers now, before going further. First of all the volumes of speed work and tempo work must be separated. Second, the volumes must rise and then become constant for some time or else the intensification will not be optimal and the peak will be short-lived. The intensty of speed work can be adjusted by the type and volume of componants within the sessions as well as the speed of execution of the same elements, requiring little volume change to achieve a recovery week. Also, a given vol of pure speed work will be more stressful than the same vol of speed end work and this must be reflected in the sessions.

Whoa!!! OK … I looked at fig. 6-5 in “Training for Speed” so I believe I understand. Intensity seems to start out a little higher than volume whereas both remain consistant until moving into phase three(or the last peaking phase) … correct?

And moreover, Fig. 6-1 in CFTS depicts Volume of work for what I believe to be mid-season. Where can I find examples of work loads/volume for an athlete with my goals, as well as a per phase average?

To make sure I understand you correctly; your saying that if my chart showed volume, the increase would be too high, whereas it needs to be constant for a period of time or I’ll burn out? So how can I utilize my chart to show microcycle developement over time correctly?

Why not turn the chart on its side and log two charts- one for speed work and one for tempo. the speed progressions can be dased on the distance over which you accelerate-ie 20m accel + maintain, 30m accel + maintain etc.

I can do that, however I’m lacking the knowlege of how much volume of speed and tempo work thoughout my macrocycle. Once I have that information will that make it easier to develop my Mesocycles?