Last Speed endurance b4 competition

Good for you Komy. I think the biggest thing for athletes in any sport is to find their own way to PB’s. Many, myself included, can waste so much time & opportunities looking over their shoulder to see what someone else is doing. I am not saying you can’t learn from others… hey, you don’t have to reinvent the wheel here, I am just saying if what works for you is not what the guy in the lane next to you does, don’t worry. You have to run your own race & your own training & warmup. I personally would rip everything in me if I didn’t even jog like fast said… obviously that’s his (her?) way. :wink:

cheers man. now i think we have an understanding :wink:

Komy. I said i was serious here. And I don’t want to make you look so bad. So you’d better cut it off, or I’ll get you enough proof to show that you never ever ever in your life ran below 11 seconds. Thats FAT of course! So if you don’t SHUTT UP and care about your own ( above 11 stuff ) and never call them 10.6 stuff, I’ll be quite. Else, you don’t blame me. Right.

You know what I’d like to see?
A lot more effort on trying to improve through an open exchange of training ideas and a lot less effort on trying to look big by exaggerating- or by attempting to make others look small.
By all means, check the lists for performances- and make sure you check for your own ranking while you’re at it.
At the end of the day, it’s time to compete.
Just ask Andy Norman:
Money talks- Bullshit walks!

I have to admit that I made a bit of a mistake by getting a bit over nervous about this. But I have to tell you why I did this. I care so much about young and up coming athletes. I believe that the spirit they have should be accompanied by 100% pure info that would help them draw their path. As an athlete myself I want that too. So usually young athlete do the following. They check the times. And then decide whether to take the stuff or not. Look what happend when we opened discusions on Gardner, HSI , bloc, etc… People were all coming to listen in with intrest.

The problem is that if you start to lie about times. The youngsters out there will start evaluating the stuff you say according to that. Then they start copying and convincing them selves. Then you start spoiling others with you lies. You see I don’t like lieing. But then by which other way could I have told him to stop it. Its not nice to see a guy respond to his post by saying that his stuff is good enough cause he runs good times!!! What do you think??

so r u sayin u r not proud of urself and wat uve achieved. i think everyone should if they have put efforts in their training even if they ran 12s they still should be proud. i dont think anyone should lie and definitely i know i dont. i know what i did i dont need to prove anything and all i do here is say what works for me, just for the sake of open suggestions cause u never know someone might pick it up and sure might work for him. but i have trust in ppl and athletes in this forum. they said they ran this or that, i beleive em and congratulate em and tell em to try harder next time. i dont go around telling them what big fat liars they are, its not even any desent manners. what do others think? i mean all of us are here to learn form one another. ive definitely almost learnt from every single one here and hope they’ve learned something from me. maybe u should try and think about that fast11. try and look at it from learning point of things, after all, its why u here in the 1st place! dont start wondering whether ppl lie about their times and then start checkin em out. its not even healthy for urself.
if anyone disagrees then plz point out, thats all i got to say
thanks

Look… I come to this forum for information without the BS of advertising, etc. If I post a question or result, I expect I can get constructive info from the people out there not insults & inflammatory statements. I never thought of changing any info of results on the web, nor do I approach other’s statements or questions thinking they did… maybe that’s nieve.
I don’t know either Fast or Komy but after reading that exchange, I can say that if I ask a question looking for answers, I hope I can get it here instead of attacks on my personality or morals.
i enjoy that there are many disagreeing points of view here but that was over the line, in my opinion. I apologize if I am wrong here. :rolleyes:

So, back to the following

sat: tempo 6x100m on grass nice and relaxed

sun: 30-40min bicycle plus lots of stretches

mon: light 3k jog (listen to ur music, rehearse your race), stretches, pool laps

tues: rest

wed: compete

I guess thats what you said Komy. Ok. Now lets see. We start with the rest day before competition. I don’t like that nor does any of the coaches or athletes I’ve met. Even some very basic coaches know that a total rest on the day before competition is not good. I learnt that from practice and then was tought that by a very respectable coach. I’m sure she can read this right now. Sometimes you can take 3 total days of rest but then on the fourth day before competition you have to go out there and get up your body. If you think thats harmful, then think of Michael Johnson running 19.32 after 4 rounds and an O.R in the 400 and 3 rounds in the 200m. Your body will not die if you go out there on the track and try to waken it up. Infact it will do something a little rusty and then come up the next day much more ready for the same kind of action.

Then on the 3 days before that you are doing very very easy stuff… To me it looks like you are preparing to go into sleep! You start off with a very easy easy tempo. Thats OK. But then you start doing long aerobic work for another two days. Your body is going to sleep. The fact is that form goes up with increasing intensity and decreasing volume. To say the truth you had to say the stuff you do withing the whole of that last week. And not just 4 days before competition. But from what I see I can say that you prefer to not do any sort of any speedy work.( I didn’t say 100% and I’m not saying not to do 100% ) I’m just saying speedy work. Now lets see. Why not do a special endurance 2 session. maybe a 300 or a 250 on 95%. Lets say 1, I wouldn’t go over that personally… It will not over stress your CNS ( cause if you look at the top speed reached within the distance and compare to your own very much top speed we’ll be talking rubish ) so its not stressful but its very good for lifting your body up. Instead of “jogging” and " biking "!! on the other day you can go ahead and do a 50m with a 30m may be. Or just one of them. Depends on you. You surely don’t want volume. you want intensity. Your body will listen and get prepared. And on the day of competition your body won’t feel like its doing something new.

Pool laps : man why don’t you be a bit specific?
Lots of streaches : seems like you don’t do that quantity unless you’ve got competition. If you’re not used to it within the season don’t do it before competition. And if you were used to it, you weren’t gonna say lots of streaches. you’d probably say. Some streaching
rehearse your race : First of all. You should know before hand that everything has been computed in your head. now you should be able to get down and do it. Rehearsing the race is something you do everyday, everynight, whenever you’re alone. Sometimes while I’m watching TV, I start flying away in my own day dreaming and feel how that very next race is gonna be. I don’t wait till the race ( 2 days before ) and try to automate my head! usually doesn’t work. I don’t see you writing “rehearse your race” anywhere in your journal unless you’ve got a competition.

At the end. Here is my point of view. And lets say thats what fits me. Let me also say that when I was young I was thinking the same way you were and I was making mistakes. Now I’ve learned more and I’ve stopped doing my mistakes.

Now THAT I can get some help from.
Thanks.
:wink:

I agree with what fast 11_12 is saying about the day off before a meet on some levels, because if you took a day off before every meet you competed in, you would lose that many training days. However, I never thought of that when I was competing. I think taking the day off before a meet is a personal preference, not a rule. Personally, I always took a day off before the meet when I was competing. I didn’t always run my best, but every PB I have ever had has come using this method.

okay now we’re actuallt talking. fast11 u mention that whenever u were younger u did the same (about resting day prior to competition), dont u think thats more related to your training age and level of fitness. i can honestly say that on any speed day the chances are that im sore next day, and more like physically tired so thats obviously scares me a lot, and to be honest unfortunatley we dont get them many meets her(2 big ones in the year) plus other smaller ones, so i dont really get to try other stuff cause im always too scared of risking anything. if u check out my journal u would actually see that on my competing week i actually did do some sprints and that was the 1st time i ever do it, but i wasnt so sure whether that was the right thing.

i can honestly relate this to my fitness, recovery wise. u mention michael johnson running his 400s then breaking WR in 200 after other 200 rounds but hey, thats mj, u cant compare, if he was gona run another 200 nxt day it was gona be super fast till. the guy doesnt know wat tyring is, wat was he like after breaking the wr in 400m? he was taking laps carrying the flag and waving to fans!!!

so hopefully through better training and increased fitness levels i can actually manage to do a light warm up (prior to competiton day) and thats hopefully what im gona be training myself to do during summer

mo greene and boldon do 400 300 and 200 on their competing week, i can never do that, unless im super fit

another thing is weight training. i dont kow what u guys do but i need to get myself away from the weight room when its time for me to run fast. i start feeling lighter. and more ready for speed work. but im hoping that will change sometime this year as well

personally i think its all related to urself and UR OWN LEVEL OF FITNESS of what u can do b4 ur competition day, i have two throwers whom are good friends of mine. one actually does weight training ON his competing day while the other stops 3days b4 his competition, and both are apparently satisfied that way

i must say im sorry for my previous posts in this section. i hope i havent offended anyone nor have made anyone lose any confidence in me. its just trying to be of some help for someone and suddenly getting attacked on the other side was not a thing im used to
( sorry to mr francis and all other members and athletes )

and as far as im concerned with u mr fast11, i guess its this summer competition that will be proving things and hopefully getting me in the rankings (by running sub10.6) and then u can check my name, but until then guess u gona have to try and trust me a bit more

Now we’re discussing the topic! For me, I like to see some stimulation closer to the meet, but not always the day before. the time you can maintain the required stimulus usually depends on the athlete’s level- the higher the longer. Also, it depends on the vol and intensity of the previous training- again, the more the longer. Komy, give me a list of the workouts over the previous 10 days before the meet.

I agree w/ Charlie (okay, that sounds funny because i am no where near the authority he is but…).
What I have also found is that it can be a very personal thing that requires time & patience to find what works for you.
I have team mates that, although extremely fit, requires much more rest before a race while I am so full of energy, if I don’t train the day before, I have a terrible combination of lethargy but full of nerves. Not condusive to a great sports performance in many fields!
I suggest taking as much info as you can & trying it, tweaking it, to find a combination that gives you the best possible factors for your comp. Sometimes what seems like an impossible benefit from a change is exactly what you need.
Good luck.

Fri 26/03 small meet 100m-10.72 l.jump-5.98 (no approach measured wat so ever but had to do it for the points)

Sat 27/03 1x120m 13.82 (was tooo exhausted) didnt finish training. light jog

Sun 28/03 4x80m smooth and relaxed (sore knee from long jump)

Mon 29/03 6x30m (4.05, 3.99, 4.02, 3.80, 3.99, 4.00)
1x50m 6.28!!!
1x80m didnt run it, didnt wana get dissapointed. was the worst time i ever ran for a 50m

tues 30/03 6x100m tempo, rest: walk back.
easy plyometric session (jumps over short hurdles + frog jumpsx30mx2)

wed 31/03 4x40m blocks 5.00, 5.00, 4.88, 4.98
2 track laps, sprint 100m curve, jog 100m straight

thurs 1/04 massage therapy

fri 2/04 rest

sat 3/04 5x20m 2.74(pb), 2.86, 2.94, 2.85, 2.88
1x120m 13.52(pb)
2x80m 8.87 (pb), 9.00
this session actually proves wat im like after a good break

sun 3/04 easy 2k jog, stretches, light plyometric drills (bounds, hops, etc)

mon 4/04 massage therapy

tues 5/04 rest

wed 6/04 Competition… heats 10.79 final 10.66 FAT won silver

thurs 7/04 was toooooo sore to run the 200m

fri rest

the following week on monday i ran 2very surprising pb’s in the 120 on the same day 13.05 and 13.15.

wat do you think mr francis? dont u think its better to rest prior to competiton or to do a light warm up as they suggest. wat about my training times compared to my competition times? i just have zero adrenaline on training days and apparently get saturated with it during my competitions, esp that that race was here in alexandria (EGYPT), all my friends and family so i had plenty of support

thanks for your considerations

Komy, You are having a good training season as I can see from your journal. That means that you should be fit enough to be able to handle the heats and final of the 100m and come down about fresh to do the 200m. Now you say you only have 2 major meets a season! Then why do you miss the 200m. You NEED competition. Your body learns a lot of things during competition. Things that you can’t teach your body through training. The conditions and the tightness. The ability to run relaxed no mattar whats going on, no mattar who’s running beside you. Now the thing is you should have fun! Thats the most important thing. You should enjoy. It shouldn’t be a horror movie ( like it is to a lot of people ) and it’ll only be fun when you get your self in a properly schedualed table for meets. That will get you to be more experianced. If you don’t have much, Then don’t miss ANY chance ahead. You got that! As for the preperation before meet. I’ll leave that to charlie at the present time. I think he’ll say the best of it.

[QUOTE=komy]so r u sayin u r not proud of urself and wat uve achieved. i think everyone should if they have put efforts in their training even if they ran 12s they still should be proud. i dont think anyone should lie and definitely i know i dont. i know what i did i dont need to prove anything and all i do here is say what works for me, just for the sake of open suggestions cause u never know someone might pick it up and sure might work for him. but i have trust in ppl and athletes in this forum. they said they ran this or that, i beleive em and congratulate em and tell em to try harder next time. i dont go around telling them what big fat liars they are, its not even any desent manners. what do others think? i mean all of us are here to learn form one another. ive definitely almost learnt from every single one here and hope they’ve learned something from me. maybe u should try and think about that fast11. try and look at it from learning point of things, after all, its why u here in the 1st place! dont start wondering whether ppl lie about their times and then start checkin em out. its not even healthy for urself.
if anyone disagrees then plz point out, thats all i got to say
thanks[/QU
fast11 i think u r some how harsh ppl here as komy said sll need mutual benefit…i have also been training for 2 years like u komy and also i was injured i am recovering now trying to get in a shape like u ,would u tell me abt ur pb in the 60,i am gng to have a meet sooon and i want to see the range of the expected time…keep it up man

fast11 i think u r some how harsh ppl here as komy said sll need mutual benefit…i have also been training for 2 years like u komy and also i was injured i am recovering now trying to get in a shape like u ,would u tell me abt ur pb in the 60,i am gng to have a meet sooon and i want to see the range of the expected time…keep it up man

I think the reason you need so much recovery befor the subsequent meet is because of the amount of speed-work in a row after the first meet. For example, you could keep the Sat workout after the fri meet as is (like a two-day meet) BUT then Sun would have to be off or easy tempo. Mon you were dead. you could have done the mon workout without the Sun session. I’d go as follows:
Fri 26th: Meet
Sat 27th: Off
Sun 28th: 4 x 80m relaxed
Mon 29th: Tempo 100s
Tues: 30th Your Mon 29th workout
Wed 31st: off/massage
Thurs 1st: 3 x 30m block starts, 2 x 120 full recovery
Fri 2nd: Tempo 6 x 100m
Sat 3rd: 3 x 20 bl st. , 1 x 80, 1 x 120 full recovery (blocks at max but runs at slight sub max)
Sun 4th: Off/massage
Mon 5th: 4 x 30m bl st Sub max
Tues 6th: warm-up or off- possibly light massage
Wed 7th Comp- hopefully with the right tone and enough recovery to handle the 200m as well.
What do you think?

thanks a lot mr francis, i mean who am i to judge? but it definitely sounds like it would work way much better. ive also noticed uve dropped the volumes somewat in some workouts. thing is i never paid a lot of attention to recovery, but ive learned its just as important as training. so hopefully for the summer competitions with increased fitness levels and better recoveries i can manage better 100 times and should cruise throught the 200 next day with no problem. what do you think i should do about my weight training sessions? do you think i should avoid them all the time like this when im near competition?

so i guess that explains why two weeks after that competition i only ran an 11.00 FAT. i guess thats probably because i was wasted. here how it went on from the other competition form earlier

wed 100m

thurs too sore to run 200

fri rest

sat 10/04 3x150m 17s very relaxed. my legs were even still stiff and sore (especially the hamstring muscle group)

sun 11/04 rest (thought i rest and come back with a strong workout nxt day)

mon 12/04 2x(30, 60, 120m) 3.92, 6.88, 13.05 (pb)
4.05, 7.15, 13.15 (pb)

tues 13/04 5x150m tempo 18s rest: walk back
light plyo drills. crunches and hypers

wed 14/04 3xflying 40m ( 4.60, 4.29, 4.17)
5x20m blocks, only did one at 2.92 and my legs yet again was sore

thurs rest

fri rest

sat 17/04 1x (40, 60, 150, 120 ) 5.00, 7.18, 16.20 (pb), 13.15

sun: rest

mon 19/04 2x10m blocks 1.83, 1.69
1x20m 2.70 (pb)
1x120m 13.44

tues massage therapy

wed travelling (rest)

thurs 22/04 100m competiton ran 11.00 heats DNQ

so coach decided i run the 200 nxt day and see how it goes. i obviously was not up for it, he told me later he did it as more of a psychological exercise, cause i was obviously upset from my performance. slow start and definitely the slowest finish in my entire life

fri: ran 200m in 22.70

and beleive it or not i never ran 200 in a big competition and got an official e.
time for it. so that to me is considered a pb until i run it another time.

again, thanks a lot for your consideration.

for me flying duck, when i got injured last october it took me 6 long weeks to get back to training. obviously during them 6 weeks i did a lot of long distance running, its apparently one of the best therapies for an injured hamstring, jog long distances on grass. when im though im fit to start a training program it was 29th november and the doctor said the shortest running/ sprinting distance would be 150m. so i did one big extensive 7weeks of 3 days a week tempo work. plus weight training that had to be very light with a lot of reps as therapy. so i went on like this for my whole body.

i swear i can remember that i used to do bench presses with 50kgs 5x10,8,6,6,6. a total of 180 reps in each session. so u can imagine how much it added up to by the end of the week. i focussed a lot on my upper body weight training
bench press, incline db press, lat pull down, straight arm db raise, shoulder press, db swings, db arm curls
my only lower body wrokouts were leg presses (high reps), single leg curls and extensions 3x30 very easy weights

after them seven weeks i think i was in the fitest form of my life, but then remember there were NO sprints watsoever!!!

only had 4weeks preparation for the 60m trials. did a lot of sprints at that time. turned to heavy and very fast weights.
pbs in weight room 115kgs bench press (253Ibs), 200kg squat (440Ibs)

i also did one speed weights sessions a week were i timed my 6reps. eastern block method i learned from my friend who is a thrower.
60kgs bench in 4.60 and 140kgs squats in 4.65

can u imagine my pb in the 120m was 14.60 then!!! and my 150 was 17.00!!!

i went to the trials, the day b4 i had a meet in the 100mwere i ran 11.00h, i travelled that night and next day ran the 60m in 6.70h, and the following day i had to run the 200 for the club and ran 23.43h.

then things got sorted later on so that was good!

i know there’s a lot there, but u just got urself my whole sad story. hope wont be any depressive to u.
gluck in ur 60
all the best