Joc's Journal for speed & endurance. Critiques welcomes...

found an old journal from may last year.

My 400m time back then was btw 72.1 and 69.8. I dont know what it is now. I hope its better…

I also struggled to do 4 100m sprints. times were 14.14, 13.88, 13.13, 13.00 although im fairly sure all were over 14s. I just cheated a bit on timing.

on the other hard 1200m was easy enough for me to do approx 4.13

40 yards. 5.46, 5.32, 5.32, 5.28, 5.4.

I was doing LOADs of weighted dips and bicep /tricep stuff. and i thought i was strong !!!

Tore hamstring on 30th may just a few days before a big game. eneded up playing but couldnt move much. we won handy though. weighed 82kg @ 12.4%BF

A few thoughts on your video.

-during A-skips & B-skips, try to stay tall and keep your hips more forward/higher (under your COM). You are dipping your chest toward your rising knee on each skip.

-your jumps look ok (is that 9’ from toe[start] to heel[landing]?) but your med ball acceleration runs…ick :smiley:

I used to run kinda like that many moons ago. Try to count your steps in your short runs. Like if you are running a 30m, count how many steps you need to get to 30m. It should be around 16-18. You probably take like 20-22. In training try to get to 30m (or whatever distance) in the fewest steps possible (within reason). I wouldn’t do this for your whole career but it should help get your stride opened up a little.

thanks for the advice.

I’ve noticed on my skips i lean forward. i will correct that.

the 9’ is from balls of my feet to balls of my feet approx. how should i measure them? What is a good score for a 22 yr old male of my hieght/build? 5’10" 180lbs

I know my runs look terrible. Steps are horribly short. That is a good idea about counting steps. It will help me on the road to a longer stride. I think practice is the key too. I dont think its a flexibility issue. I’ve just ran that way so long now its second nature. I need to break that habit. Any other tips to help me take longer strides?

Just looked at some video’s and im taking about 20-21 steps for the 30m. I never actually realised this was a bad thing. I know one size doesnt fit all an all that but obviously im cutting off a lot of my stride. I really need to work on this. I think its the last major piece of the puzzle…

Thanks again…

i didnt do anything last night. my hammers and calves were very tight after my first weight session in a while last sunday.
Just had a crazy idea though. In work we have this carpetted staircase. Its 4 floors high and perfect for running up. I have yet to find anything even close where i could actually train on.
Im going to start coming into work a bit earlier and do 10x sprints up (doubles) and then stay on a bit late and get 10x more in.
Hopefully this will help me lengthen my stride a bit. Hell i could even replace these with the hills for a while. Its the perfect crime!!

I just hope my boss doesnt catch me. He thinks im crazy enough as it is with my ironmind grippers etc etc

been a bit of a disaster for the last few days.
i’ve been working long hours plus ive to show ppl around the house so i couldnt train much.
on the other hand ive been running up the stairs in work as much as possible. maybe 10x a day or more. what an exercise!! can really feel my legs all over getting hit. v good for acceleration i think.
if all the ppl come i will try get out for some tempo tonight but its late now so i dont know if i can…

Standing long jump is usually measured from the front of your foot at the start (stand behind a line) to the farthest heel backward on landing like X is your foot and | are the measure points.
X| |X

It’s been my experience with low/moderately talented athletes that 9’ gives the potential to run low 11 and 10’ gives the potential to run a mid-high 10. Do you have this? www.trackandfieldnews.com/technique/109-Frank_Dick.pdf

Hopping up the stairs might also be a good idea especially because they’re carpeted. Maybe like 100 hops on speed days?

Thanks i appreciate that. I will remeasure soon and let you know. its probably much less than 9’ so…
me run close to 11s?? ha ha, now thats a good laugh

i actually like doing the stairs. the carpets make it so much safer. Also it helps me lengthen my stride and get in good acceleration.
Carl Lewis swore by them too apparently.
I know its not the most organised way of training but i try to get in as many stairs as i can a day. say if i have to go to the first floor then i’ll go to the fourth first then come back down you know? very haphazard but at least i can pass it off and not have ppl in work watch me doing 10 reps in 10 mins kind of thing.

what a session tonight???
i was FLYING.

1200m in 4:16 (need to get this to well under 4)
full warmup incl static, ballistic, core + drills

3x 200
all under 30s with 2 mins rest in between
These are the fastest i’ve ever gone. I concentrated on long strides just like i see maurice greene doing and guess what? it felt so good and easy. i was flying. i had to stop and look at the watch to cop onto the fact that it was sub 30. I couldnt believe it.

static stretch and cyclone shake.

i guess eating well and drinking water and looking after myself is eventually starting to pay off. im delighted…

i got an ironmind.com wish you were here dvd during the week.
Its AWESOME. it follows kolechi and azizande through a weeks training (2 polish record holding lifters)
Some really great things in there. Id highly advise anyone here interested in getting powerful to forget about that next box set of LOST and get some of these instead. I could watch them all day…

3 feb 05

usual warmup
some snatch but wrist still not strong enough

bulgarian squat
2x6 @ 26kg DBs with 6 depth jump after each

pullups
ladder set til 6. got 3 on 7th set. a new pr.

seated row to chin
40kg 2x6 i think

static stretch, swim, sauna, contrast shower

5 feb 06
first team training of new year!

coach plans 2 sessions a week for a month. one skill work in the pitch on sunday another on the track on wednesday (which i cant make as i live 120miles away)

he pulled me aside and told me to lifting weights telling me they are very bad for me as they strengthen the quads and weaken the hams. he also said i sapent all last yr out with bad hams (which i didnt - pulled a ham once - out for a week)

he also grouped me with 2 or 3 fat lazy fellas saying that we would be prone to pulling hamstrings. He said if i went out and did a 400m run id pull up and not finish. well my jaw dropped. i told him id stop but he knew i didnt mean it. i was disgusted with the way he was counting me as one of the worst ones but let it slide as i like him and i was going to show him how much work ive done.

so to training and i really did show him. on the runs i was burning lads that would have easily beaten me before. i was flying. same with our practice game. i fairly sure he’ll not tell me to alter my training again.

one thing is for sure i need to up the work again. more stairs, more hills, more intensity in my tempo. but im a mile ahead of where i was last year thats for sure

also met with my college supervisor. he said he might have a masters position for me in my old college, fully funded too. college has the best training facilities in my country and i could train full time plus im back in college.
id jump at the chance if it comes up.
i’ll keep you posted

6 feb 06
great day at work today.

stairs (50 steps with 5 platforms after 10 steps)
3, 6, 5

7 feb 06

it was VERY wet today but it stopped long enough for me to get a good session. track was like an ice rink though so times were disappointing. v windy too

1200m warmup in 4:18
usual warmup but no drills - too wet

200s
2 x (4x200) with 2 min btw reps, 4 min btw sets
6 under 32s, 2 34s. lactic acid buildup was crazy. but i got through it anyway. getting fitter and fitter…

weights
DBs SLDL
8 @ 23kg
3x9 @ 32kg

Bulgarian squat with 5 depth jumps
6 @ 23kg
2x6 @ 32kg

pullups with 25lbs disc
3x5

seated row to chin
3x8 @ 40kg

calves
3x10 @ 60kg

static stretch and home…

Thurs 10 Feb 2006

800m warmup in 2.45
core + ballistc static

4x150m in 21s with 90s break

static stretch

tried some snatch but wrist still isnt right. need to get it sorted

motivation and well everything is at an all time low. been very depressed i suppose recently. nothing is going my way. need a break

sun 12th feb
team training. crap as usual.

weights
reverse hypers
2x8
6 + 20kg bar
2x6 + 30kg

bulgarians
2x6 with 30kg DBs
2x6 with 36kg DBs
2x3 with 44kg DBs

seated row to chin
2x7 100lbs

calfrasie
2x7 @ 70kg

static + swim + sauna + contrast showers

DOMS bigtime after this. still have it on tuesday. dont know if i can train tonight.
dont know if i want to… :frowning:

well sore wrist turned out to be at least 3 dislocations in my hand. 2 are back in now after a couple hours effort the last two days. i was in AGONY.
I have a funny feeling i have another one out though so the worst has yet to come i think.
although maybe not. we’ll see.
DOMS still plagueing me. i need to look after myself correctly after my hard sessions. need to ice much more, esp my hams.

plus ive started watching 24. what a show. wateched 3 series in a week!!
jacks the man

thurs 16th jan
been out all week with wrist, DOMS

warmup (not so good cas it was so wet)
2x400m 77,70
10x100m all around 15s with 100m walk after

static stretch

back 2 my usual tricks again last night,
got drunk, had a good nite until about 4am some guy started in me. i swear i did nothing to him. chased him, caught himn( happy how fast i caught him) had a few “words” and was leaving when his mates arrived. i was trapped! at least 3 of them. fvck.

lying here in my bed with blood everywhere. on my clothes, my body, my bed, even my walls ffs. not good!!