Is this statement/s true???...

Hi, Can anyone give me confirmation on these statements that they are true…

“If all I did was olympic lifts especially power cleans or snatch, my
quad and glute strength would decrease and I am sure my first 30m time (Acceleration phase) would increase”.

“World-class weightlifters who perform Olympics lifts only would probably have greater acceleration over 30 metres than elite sprinters”.

"Olympic lifts are better suited to improving acceleration than squats.

Can anyone verify these comments…

This is really amazing stuff. Wow.

In a similar approach to the CJ Hunter story, on a recent training trip to Los Angeles with a group of Dutch and British throwers, one of the guys achieved a similar feat.

We were training in the weightroom at Huntington Beach High School, where they have a number of Bounding Boxes. The tallest of these boxes was 54 inches, or 135cms. Rutger Smith, a 21 year old Dutch Shot and Discus thrower, and former World Junior champion, was able to jump onto this box from seven feet away! Rutger is 6’6" (1.97m) and 126kg or 280lbs.

Jurgen Schult is supposed to have a best SLJ of 3.67m, and Werner Gunthor at 315 lbs had a best for 5 bunnies (two-footed bounds) of 19.36m. He also had a High Jump best of 2.11m!!!

ShaunP

These are opinions of the knowledgeable members of the forum only.

By verifying I assume you mean provide scientific studies to support them.

There are probably no studies directly relevant to the first statement, definately no studies relevant to the second statement (assuming the statement means weightlifters who do not do any assistance exercises), but possibly (although unlikey) studies relevant to the last statement. If there are any the more science-study-conscious members of the forum should be able to find them.

1-30m is based on strenght.more than likeky if you make agins in the weigths room your 30m will decrease in time.olympic lifts i find are great for involving numerous fibres with just one exercise.ie-how many grounps are invloved when doing a full p.clean…???

2-world class weightlifters are meant to be really quick over 30m but honestly i can’t see them beating any elite sprinter.they maybe close but thats it.don’t forget that a sprinters race is over 100m,not 30!

3-i wouldn’t say that olym lifts will improve acceleration directly.acceleration involves alot more than lifting weights.track work would be more important to me than trying to lift and maybe lift wrong.

This has been discussed already. Look in the Archives. I think that those exact quotes were discussed.

“If all I did was olympic lifts especially power cleans or snatch, my
quad and glute strength would decrease and I am sure my first 30m time (Acceleration phase) would increase”.
I actually posted this, and I know from experience that using power cleans does not maintain my strength. The cleans may be maintained, but after a certain period my contractile protein will be decreasing leading to decreased maximal strength. I’m sure this would lead to increasing 30m time, since there will be less contractile protein for contraction under acceleration, and even if the lifts are still maintained they are not so specific to acceleration that they will definately allow this to be maintained. BTW I have little experience with full oly lifts, which would help maintain strength better.

“World-class weightlifters who perform Olympics lifts would probably have greater acceleration over 30 metres than elite sprinters”. Not sure about this, but with a little sprint practice also, I could believe the lifters may take the title.

"Olympic lifts are better suited to improving acceleration than squats’’
As long as squats are well developed, this may be true, and could be due to speed of movement and possibly more favourable mechanics. However, I still wonder if oly lifts are needed if a sprinter employs a sufficient programme including squats, maybe deads, plyos, and sprinting including sprinting using added resistance.

Any comments?

Weightlifters would certainly NOT be able to keep up with top sprinters out to 30m. This is pure fantasy. They’d be good out to 10m though, and the world record for the standing long jump is held by a shotputter.

In response to one part of the initial post of the thread, I seriously doubt there are any world class olympic-style weightlifters who don’t include front and/or back squats(with most doing both) in their training-they don’t just perform the olympic lifts. Many, in fact, perform a significant amount of assistance lifts in their training.

‘‘Weightlifters would certainly NOT be able to keep up with top sprinters out to 30m. This is pure fantasy. They’d be good out to 10m though, and the world record for the standing long jump is held by a shotputter.’’

I suppose hamstring function and technique would be too much to contend with, especially after 10m.

Sorry to completely change the subject, but what is the SLJ world record?

I have actually heard from a couple of sources that there were studies donein the 70’s or early 80’s and that weightlifters were able to beat sprinters and that they also beat jumpers in the vertical jump. I will try to locate the references if they actually exist.
Being a thrower I feel that the fist 30 m is more power related than technique related. I have run a 3.5 sec 30m with not much technique work, this is a hand time from a modified 3 point stance with the timer starting at first movement and stopping when my foot hits past the line. I ran this time with maybe 2 weeks of short sprints 10-40m to prepare for the test and i was coming off a base so i was doing 8 reps in squat and 5 reps in the OL.
I never felt that my technique needed much work, but if i were coming out of the block id be lost.

Originally posted by pete
Sorry to completely change the subject, but what is the SLJ world record?

On his tapes Charlie mentioned it was 12’4" by a 285lb shotputter…but then what does that guy know:P

Dear God, 285 pounds!

I 2nd that.

Originally posted by pete
Dear God, 285 pounds!

found this post on the Ring about shotputter C.J Hunter - :slight_smile:

In an informal talk last year at Denton, Brian Blutriech (who still has one of the best shot-discus doubles of all time)and I were talking about C.J. and he told me a little story about the then 315-320 lb’er that is both funny and “freakish” ! I hope I get it right or Kapt. “K” will accuse me of smoking the “wacky” weed again…grin! Anyhow, Brian asked C.J what was something that he felt was unusual or freaky that he could do athleticly? C.J. replied “Broadjump eight feet!!!” Brian said “I can do that…!” and C.J. replied “On to a 3 foot table?” I hope Brian read’s this and correct’s any number’s ect. but the horsepower to move that bodyweight and jump that far is pretty scary! Remind’s me of a few Oldfield stories…smile! Oh yeah…speaking of 70 footer’s…there could be (5-6) U.S. putter’s over that distance at Eugene or at the trial’s…Intresting scenario’s !!!

Coach Mac

WHOA

FYI: C.J. Hunter is currently employed as an assistant strength and conditioning coach for the North Carolina State University football team in Raleigh, NC. I don’t know if he is still training but I saw him a couple of weeks ago and he is a big man!

I saw him as well, his calves are like prize winning pumkins cut in half and slid under his skin! Insane strength levels but still as nimble as a cat.

Clemson welcome back, Its always funny to see a big guy with sprinters calves. It just doesnt look right. He can probally motor for 20 yards or so. :o