Importance of Powerclean?

Hey everyone, I’m new to the forums and I’ve been wondering…I know that powercleans are good for explosiveness and are a good indicator of strength as well, but how well do they help your sprinting performance? Do you have any good recommendations as to how to train to get your powerclean stronger(routines, programs, etc.)?

Just a few quick questions I thought I would get off of my chest if you guys don’t mind:

How important is upper body strength in sprinting speed?

Since track starts in a couple of weeks, what is a good program/split to follow to peak up right before the season starts? As in, how many lifting and speed days during the week?

Hi Hulk

Welcome to the site, you just missed the weighlifting “team” (a group of members specializing in weights). They’ll be back I’m sure.

Eitherway, just wanted to say hello and welcome. Enjoy your time here.

Rupert
Your host
CharlieFrancis.com

http://charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=1345&highlight=horses+mouth

Read that thread all the way through. It will help your cleans. I gave the program to a jumper of mine and he comes back and PRs in everything with nearly 0 technical work.

thanks a lot, bro…I really appreciate it.

Hey, Upper body strength can be very important to sprinters. Try searching the forums using the search system for the words “Bench press” and look specifically for posts by Charlie (you can use the search engine to specifically look for his posts).

In terms of number of lifting and speed days, it varies with how advanced the lifter is but Ben Johnson was using 3 speed and 3 lifting days a week with speed and weights on the same day.
The Charlie Francis Training System eBook in the store has all this information condensed in one place for you or you can search the forum to find out the majority of information about his programme.

TC

Which program? If you are talking about the program given by martn76 I have a few concerns. This could work for a beginner, but not for an advanced lifter. With an advanced athlete I would use something more like David W’s example progression (with buffering), especially when sprinting speed is the primary goal (not lifting more weight).

Hulk,
Power cleans are not necessary for sprinters, but if you master the technique it can be a good means to increase your strength. But it’s still general (not specific) to sprinting, so any other exercise (squat, deadlift, snatch, …) would do the trick as well. Use what works for you and feels right. That’s the best advice I can give you.

[QUOTE=jumpman]Which program? If you are talking about the program given by martn76 I have a few concerns. This could work for a beginner, but not for an advanced lifter. With an advanced athlete I would use something more like David W’s example progression (with buffering), especially when sprinting speed is the primary goal (not lifting more weight).
QUOTE]

Yea I was talking about the martn76 program. I like to do something like that for cleans (minus the supersetted SLDL’s and pullups, etc).

If you take a quick read of Charlie’s HIT article on the homepage you will find that Cleans, save the athlete time in the gym amongst other things. I am finding that my performance (not in sprinting, but in fighting), has improved drastically since I started doing cleans (with Guy Grevette as my strength coach), moreso than at any other point in my athletic career. I am a huge fan of cleans, provided the athlete can do them right. The fastest sprinter I have thusfar coached never did cleans.

Come on now, folks, we all know that power cleans rule and that they are the basis of life on earth as we know it. They’re that good.

In fact I would say that its more of a program for advanced trainers I would not recommend it for complete beginning athletes. David W’s method probably suits beginners as well as advanced because of the buffer zones. The rest weeks in the method I recommended should be used for regeneration of all kinds to get your body ready for the next level.

Depends on what you want. Both methods are relevant for trainers with extensive backgrounds.

You do not have to do SLDL you sould supplement with CF’s hamstring exercises as shown on the GPP video.

The point about the regimen I gave is that it works…it has been tried and tested and it works like a dream.

Your 30m time SHOULD improve by a minimum of a 10th to 2/10ths.

Jumpman, have you seen Jon Edward’s strength training program in NSA by Carl Johnson his coach? It is very very similar to the method used by my friend…I think there was a connection between my friends power lifter and one of the weight/power lifter’s that J Edwards trained with…small world. I remember him talking about Dave getting his ideas from the J Edwards connection, i will check to clarify.