How to DE-HYPERTROPHY an athlete???!

We have read on this forums (a) how to induce hypertrophy, (b) how to induce funtional (FT fibers) hypertrophy, © how to avoid hypertrophy and build relative strength, but, suppose you get an athlete who was screwed by last coach who gave him to do leg extensions/curls for 4x10reps with isometrical holds, builded great muscle mass (non functional) in legs…
How to dehypetrophy an screwed over-hypetrophied athlete who should improve relative strength, power and reduce MUSCLE weight, without becoming slower in the proccess?

• Avoiding any reps above 3 per set
  • Lowering lifting volume (to 1-3 sets) and increasing intensity and concentric speed
  • Reducing carbs intake overall and especially in PWO
  • Increasing aerobic demands via tempo runs

Any input on this issue?

Are you sure things won’t resolve via traditional max strength work and increased aerobic demand alone ? Is he that big? Which exercises will you use?

Go through your normal process and the optimal outcome will be reached.

He is not that big but he could be much faster if appropriate method were used.
I plan to use exercises I use with other athletes: Olys, squats, dead lift, bench, pull-up, military presses, rows, RDLs and some single leg stuff (bugarians, split squats, lunges…)… Ordinary multijoint barbell stuff :slight_smile:

I understand lowering carbs in general, but why specifically in PWO?

I think I read it somewhere…
Maybe to prevent energy for hypertrophy after the training… just to slighty refill glyco stores and provide proteins for recovery, but avoiding bringing energy for anabolic purposes…
That this makes sense?

Yes, but I’d expect a decrease in strength gains. Wouldn’t you?

Why not just lower calories (carbs) through out the rest of the day?

EDIT: I could be wrong though, let me do some quick research

Then add a little Creatine in PWO…??? this would help maintain strength during “those days” of reduced carb intake…

Might reduce the number of lifts to let the amt lifted go up more and reduce to total volume of all lifts which can affect cross section even though each individual lift is within the low number range. I’d leave the diet alone.

Thanks Dr. Evil! :slight_smile:

Charlie,
Just to be clear -
reduce/keep number of exercises?
reduce/keep frequency of lifting sessions?
reduce/keep set numbers?
reduce/keep reps?

Thanks

I think he means just simplfy it, reduce the overall volume, reduce the volume per muscle group and keep the reps high enough.

?? You stated earlier:

He is NOT that big but he could be much faster if appropriate method were used.
I plan to use exercises I use with other athletes: Olys, squats, dead lift, bench, pull-up, military presses, rows, RDLs and some single leg stuff (bugarians, split squats, lunges…)… Ordinary multijoint barbell stuff.

He is SLOW so make him fast throught the ordinary stuff! How do you determine what is functional and non-functional muscle?

Though question…
If the increase in muscle mass (and BW) overcome increase in strength, thus reduces relative strength… also, increase in muscle mass without increase in explosiveness…

You can try:
increasing tempo work
longer special endurance runs
replace some weight work with expl med-ball and plyos
use olympic lifts inplace of power lifts

Just get the guy fast thru the ususal methods.

(It’s not horse racing)

Were you infomred of all these parametres prior to working with this individual?

Actually NO!
Great question…

What’s his level, his stats? (sprints or BBall?) As long as he’s not elite level I wouldn’t worry about the exact composition of his leg muscles too much.
Guys can usually run 11.00-11.50 with “wrong” training, so even one season of Charlie’ type GPP can change your athlete to improve a lot.

Don’t take it personal, but coaching is far from being an exact science. So forget the over-theoretical approach and train your athlete for speed…from a more pragmatistic view (in other words: just use “appropriate methods” from now on…very much as you outlined initially):

a few basic mulit-joint lifts in low rep numbers (< 6) - concentrate on and keep max power
aerobic work (tempo)
a sound diet high in protein, but low in carbs like ountlined here quite often
and everything centered around specific training for his event

It will take some time, but his body will adapt and in one year time the ratio of non-functional to functional body mass will have changed to the athletes (and his sucesss) favour.

Generally: How much body mass is unfunctional? Look at Mo or Crawford! How much bodymass do they really need to run their times? Who will ever know? Only sucess can tell you that you’re right and like in their case at 9.79 or 9.88 something must be right :wink:

Duxx, your level of participation and thought processes on here is excellent. I know this athlete is in great hands:)