How Do You Build Endurance Without Affecting Speed?

I am around 6’0, 82kg or 182lbs (15-20%bf). My acceleration and speed is currently shit. I ran 7.37 for a 40m sprint and only reached level 5 in the beep test (I know it’s shocking). I play footy (AFL) and tennis in summer, so I need both speed and endurance.

I heard that running fartleks, HIIT and other endurance building methods aren’t conducive to building speed, if so then what techniques should I use to build endurance?

Here’s my current schedule:

MON: Weights (Lower Body)
TUE: GPP (josh henkin bodyweight circuit)
WED: Sprint Training
THU: GPP (josh henkin bodyweight circuit)
FRI (AM): Sprint Training
FRI (PM): Weights (Upper Body)
SAT : GPP (Med Ball Circuit)
SUN: Game

Help me out!

Tempo workouts. You can search for them or buy the CFTS

i think you will improve even without speed work. Seems that your overall fitness has to be improved with tempos

Don’t get me wrong, but is 7.37 for 40m true?

If so, do tempo only (like pjb said) (instead of the speed days)for quite a while , otherways speed work might not be good for your health.

sg like 8-12x100m at less than 75% of your Max. with walking back breaks.

Example: if 100m currently take you 15sec., don’t do the 100m tempo faster than 20sec.

If you capable of 2x10x100m move on…

Thanks for the help, the 7.37 for 40m is true, it’s probably the result of bodybuilding training for over a year and a bit, bulking up and gaining a fair amount of fat (I used to be very skinny), neglecting flexibility (I’m very unflexible ATM), plus I have a poor strength to bodyweight ratio, although I was never fast in the past, I’ve definitely got slower over the last few years.

I can somewhat relate to this post. Im trying to gain as much sprint speed as possible before my next soccer season begins but i also want to get in good enough shape to be able to play and to be honest, i dont really feel like im getting in very good shape from the tempo that i am told to do from this forum. It just seems too easy and i know that the main point of tempo is for CNS recovery but i really need to get into game shape and i dont know how hard i can push myself in the tempo runs before i start to go overboard where it is interfering with my sprinting improvement. I usually do my speedwork on day 1 and tempo on day 2…then i take day 3 completely off before i start the cycle again. Does this mean that i can really push myself more on the tempo day since i have another full day after that before i my speedwork day. Please someone clear this up for me. Thanks.

dont try to train like a sprinter if you wanna be a soccer player. Trust me, its experience.
In athletics you train for 1,2,3 maybe 4 days a year where you will really push it.
Soccer is for 3,4 months. So you cant try to do so.

Do endurance workouts only like 2x5x400m and move on to shorter workouts when season begins. I would definetly prefer a long to short when playing soccer.

–Thanks for the info. I assume that 2x5x400m means two sets of five repetitions of 400m? How often would you advise i do this?..and what about the speed work? Where would i place the speed work and how many times a week should speed work be done? Again…i appreciate the help.

That workout prescribed is rediculous. 4000m/day of tempo work is way too much! I’d hover around 2000m of tempo work and never go above 3000m in a session.

Look at the demands of the game. You spend a hell of alot of time standing around and jogging at very low intensities, then occasionally you’ll have to sprint. Tempo work is perfect for soccer.

Irong, just because your muscles aren’t flooded with lactic acid after a tempo session doesn’t mean that it isn’t doing it’s job. You can look at tempo work as a progressive overload of lactic acid buffering. It will help you more than anything else. Shorten the recoveries if you have to. But, stay away from suicides and medium intensity stuff.

–Well i appreciate the info but i wasnt really referring to that workout as a tempo workout…i mainly was considering using that workout to just get in mad shape…but if i was to use this workout as a tempo workout (but use 2000m instead of 4000m) what kind of intensity should i run it at considering im trying to get in the best shape possible for soccer? Keep in mind that i would take the next day completely off from any kind of working out and then i would do my speed work the next day. Thanks for the help.