Help with Starts with no blocks

Hello Everyone!

I am wondering what to do on my starts that I do without blocks in practice. My private coach can only work with me a few times a week and my school coach is telling me things that don’t make any sense. Here are my questions please.

If I am doing starts without blocks should I drop my butt down my back is parallel to the track? He said that blocks change everything and that placing my butt down will make me quicker. My private coach says that I should keep my butt higher than my head even without blocks.

My next question is it better to snap my knee up first to get a fast step? He says pushing off is against Newtons laws and pushing the opposite way is foolish. Do I push off the track with both feet, or just the back foot?

I am making some great improvements using a quick arm movement but he says that arms don’t cause the legs to move. I don’t agree with what he is saying. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Is this worth worrying about? Is there any value of working on crouched starts without blocks? Why not just use a standing start when you don’t have blocks?

Are we talking about crouch starts with no blocks here?

Don’t worry, neither do I.

Can you use blocks when your private coach isn’t around? I don’t see the value of worrying about all of the above issues when you will end up using blocks in a race.

Mortac8,

In order to be on relays we must do football starts because he works with some of the university football team during practice (including my boyfriend) and now my starts are no longer an advantage. I have a hard time starting when I use blocks because I practice most of my starts with a low butt. If I can keep my but up like I did during indoors I would do better but he is getting paid by football players to get their 40 yard dashes faster now. :mad:

Hips higher than shoulders.
Front leg behind hips.
3-point starts could be used as block pre-exercises if you are coming (or have to come) from high(er) to low(er) positions.
Hope it helps!

I think you’re smarter than you’re coach. Here’s a few things to help you make a point with him.

I think this guy needs to review Newton’s 3rd law “For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction”. You have to push off to get moving. The harder and faster you push off, the faster you go.

You are right about the arms. Don’t let him tell you different. Tell him to read page 21 of CFTS . “Arm action must slightly precede leg action”

In a 3 point, I start with the arm swing, then push with both legs, drive the back knee forward.

I feel sorry for these guys 40 times :(.

Thanks everyone but here is his arguement:

He still says that when you take the blocks out your feet have to change a bit and you must drop your hips in order keep from slipping. :frowning:

I don’t have blocks so I do all my accels from a crouch type start. I start with one foot forward and the other one back, my opposite arm to the front foot is bent at the elbow and forward and the other arm is back. Then I allow myself to roll forward and down slightly just before I take off. In this position my hips are definetely higher than my head. I can’t imagine being able to get any power at all if it wasn’t that way, since you don’t have anything to push back against. I would stick with what you are saying

the feet are not the issue, it is the line up of shoulder to hip to feet. the blocks allow you create the proper angle for acceleration because you are able to push back against them. if not using blocks then the roll start someone already spoke of works well, the three point start will work but whatever you decide to use…the most important factors will be to create the proper angle to allow acceleration and lead with the arms.

the only way i see you slipping is because of the surface and poor shoe choice.

due to the power i develop out of the blocks, i cannot for the life of me anymore do a block start position without blocks there. I slip or trip or fall or something. It just does not happen.
Belly starts are great, teach you well they do.

If you are slipping it must be the shoes or the track, but as far as the hip being higher than the head just use a 3 point stance with feet placed close as if your doing a 40yrd dash that should also raise your hip elavation quite consideribly.

Can someone familiarise me with the 3 point stance since I’m not accustomed to grid-iron.