Help with GPP

Hey Guys!

I’ve just purchased CFTS and the GPP download and i’m hungrily digesting the information but was wondering if anyone can offer some advice as to the best way to fit in all the relevant components when you have a limited number of training days.
Our GPP will start in October and my problem is that beacuse of school/work commitments we only get to train tue/thur/sun. A number of my athletes will be able to do gym work on their own away from the track on mon/wed/fri so what track units best go together to make sure we get everything done with just three track sessions?

Cheers

Cain

You could make tue and sun high intensity days speed and weights and thur a tempo day.

Thanks tamfb

my concern with this is that we train sunday mornings and really struggle with speed work relatively early in the morning. I guess in GPP where the speed work is mainly accomplished through hills we can cope but i might have to mix things up as we move into SPP. Also Wots the difference between doing the plyos’ in the GPP download where the athlete jumps forward releasing the med ball and landing on a HJ mat and the MB squat throw where the athlete releases the MB and accelerates after it. With limited time to fit in all training components are both exercises required or will they both achieve the same objective?

Cain

Hi Cain, if you keep the distances on the acceleration work relavent to the standard of your athletes you should be okay. Beware of getting carried away on the volume of the speed work as well. I fell for that one, even though I reduced it from what is shown on Charlie’s graph. Unless you are working with true elite athletes the volume is way too much.

Cheers PhilG

We’re just about at the end of our season with just a couple of low key races left so i’ve been trying out a few of the sessions from the gpp download to get a feel for them and you’re right, you don’t need much volume. We did some accelerations from floor position and from press up position ( 3 x 20m) and then 4 x 20m fast/slow/fast followed by 2x80m and for and old man it were more than enough.

Cheers

Cain

Approximately how much did you reduce the volume by initially when you found it to be too much, and how much do you generally reduce it by now?

Also what level of athletes are you talking about?

Thanks

My squad consists of guys 16-27 running mid 11s although a couple have ran quicker in the past and an over 40 male running 11.9-12.0. I reduced overall speed volume by about 1/3 but realise it wasn’t enough, 1/2 the volume would be more realistic.

Thanks for clarifying.

I halved the volume as well.