Hello, help me - Vertical Jump

Hello
I want to increase my VJ.

My back squat: 265 lbs
My body weight: 180 lbs
My standing VJ: 23 inch

What do You think about my program(9 weeks) on increase vertical jump?

Day 1 sets x reps
A. jump squats
. speed squat 3-5x3 (50% 1RM squat)
B. C&J
. Back squats according to (Bill Starr - Glenn
Pendlay 5x5 ) 5x5
D. Bulgarian squat

Day 2 - recovery

Day 3

. drop jumps 3x3
. depth jumps 2x3
. reactive squat 3x3 (50% 1RM squat)
. back squat Bill Starr 3x4

Day 4 -recovery

Day 5

A. jumps squats with pause
B. hang snatch
. back squat Bill Starr 1x5
D. good morning

Exercise A

Week:
1.free
2.3x4 (20% 1RM squat)
3.3x4 (25%)
4.4x3 (30%)
5.2x2 (35%)
6.3x5 (25%)
7.4x4 (30%)
8.5x3 (35%)
9.2x2 (35%)

Exercise B

Week:
1.free
2.3x4 (70% 1RM)
3.4x4 (75%)
4.4x3 (80%)
5.2x2 (85%)
6.3x4 (75%)
7.3x4 (80%)
8.4x3 (85%)
9.2x2 (90%)

Exercise D

Week:
1-4. 3x5
5-9. 4x4

my plan for squat (however on Wednesday I do 3x4, no 5x5)
I with this plan do only back squat
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Periodized_5x5.htm

Waht do You think about it?

When in your program are you actually going to practice doing plain-old vertical jumps? Performing / practicing the movement that you are trying to improve is probably the single best way to advance.

Sometimes(twice per week) i play volleyball

its simple, at ur strength levels get stronger (bsq 450’s).

mon:
pc
bsq
gh

wed:
hs
snatch dl
1 leg squat

fri:
pc
fsq
gh/rdl

If you must add jumps, do something like this:

mon:
depth jumps
bsq
lunges
gh

fri:
speed squats
snatch dl
1 leg squats

i would also add in some low vol sprint work, throws, vertical jumps 2x a week. once you get your base strength levels then start working on depth jumps etc till then just focus on practicing your vertical jump

For strength 5x5 is bad?

Mixing one guys strength program, another person’s plyo routine, etc. is rarely a good idea. I’d try to figure out what your personal strengths and weaknesses are and focus on addressing those instead of just throwing together a bunch of stuff.

Why?
:confused:

I would assume that this would be bad because each person’s program is tailored to fit other aspects of their program. A certain strength program may be too intense to add a high intensity plyo program to. Most strength work is done on the same day as plyometric work, therefore mixing and matching is not optimal. This also depends on you and your training history. I never follow template programs. Instead, educate yourself on the basics and build a progressive smart program that meets your individual needs as an athlete.

Cleans seem to have a positive effect on my vert…

[QUOTE=tamfb]its simple, at ur strength levels get stronger (bsq 450’s).

Are you suggesting that his back squat should be about 450 lb.???

How many volleyball players can squat 450 lb.?

TNT

im saying get stronger, he should at least squat 1.5-2.0 bw before he try and get fancy.

[quote=“tamfb”]

You KNOW for a fact that this person is a male?

TNT

[quote=“TNT”]

who cares, get stronger same rules apply.

I agree, completely.

Also, getting stronger is not always the absolute solution. He simply doesn’t have the time to express that strength in volleyball. It’s a careful balance between developing the strength necessary to allow him to express it completely (speed-strength), eg I have girls who jump higher than that and who squat much less than that. Not a completely equal comparison, even though they are volleyball players, but still relevant.

It’s the same with sprinters. You can’t gauge a sport with more general requirements (read football, and more specifically, football-dominant strength coaches) and make an absolute standard for a sport with more specific requirements with weight room numbers.

I agree that getting stronger is not the absolute solution but for most developing athletes in the U.S. its the bulk of the solution no matter what sport they play. The question is how much strength does an athlete needs to be success in his/her sport?

And when do you decide to develop another quality to bring out more success?

Kids run fast without strength, jump high without strength, etc, etc, and yet we look at their performance as if they’re missing a piece of the puzzle when, by definition, the quality of their performance is defined by their current success, not by strength.

And when do you decide to develop another quality to bring out more success? I think it would depend on the athlete, because if Billy John a 10th grade highschool football player who is 5’7 135; then I think base strength levels should be establish before moving on to other qualities, if I have a high level college football player who has solid strength levels then the focus should on other areas. You are right people do jump high and run fast without strength but those are the truly gifted athletes and they also have ideal body types (carl lewis, randy moss, vince carter), if you have an athlete that has a shorter-stocky build with thick ankles then I think things would be different.

No they don’t run fast or jump high without strength. Where did that come from? Do you define strength only as the amount one can lift in a highly specialized exercise such as the squat or bench press?

No, there is different kind of strength. I was speaking about weight room strength.

A lot of professional players.
Some one over 550 lb (half squat).