Gpp

I´m afraid there´s something wrong in Weights Graphs 2 Advanced Stage,
look the exercises lists for each day:
Tuesday: Power Clean - Dead Lifts - Backsquats - Romanian DL
Wednesday: Power Clean - Backsquats - Push Press - Goodmorning
so, power clean and backsquat performed within 24h of rest ?
Could be wrong this schedule ?

In Tempo Days is better do weights first or after Tempo ?

The plan would be to follow either beginner OR advanced weightlifting, depending on your level and training age- not alternate between them.

when doing medicine ball throws do you have to run after throwing it?

Yup. Its like coming out of the blocks low and explosive. I like to put the ball on the track and pick it up throw and sprint all in one motion. Falling starts holding the ball at your chest and throwing it is good too.

Does the hill work count to the total speed volume and is the intesity 95% and above in all hill work (I assume it is)? Could Charlie explain the progression of hill/speed volume in the gpp dvd:
week 1: 1800m
week 2: 2160m
week 3: 2400m
week 4: 1920m
week 5: 1930m (of which 650m of track work)
week 6: 1970m (of which 1320m track work)
week 7: 2420m (of which 1940m track work)

And on week 7 is it correct that 8x60m hill work replaces tempo or is this done under 75%? I know that hill work isn’t as demanding for your CNS as track work is, but what is the idea behind this?

The hills on Wk 7 move to Sat and are still high intensity (>95%). Yes, they are of a lower CNS demand than the track speed work, but still high and are now in the role of Speed End.

Understood. How long in to the SPP can these hill speed end runs go before switching to track completely?

And what about gpp weights… obviously this is the time for hypertrophy training for younger athletes, i.e. requiring higher volume, but do you prefer bodybuilding type training with 8-12 (slow) reps per set or would it be better to use something more specific to target the hypertrophy to white muscle fiber? For example 10 sets of 3 reps with short rest intervals.

If no hypertrophy is needed, how would you approach weight training in the gpp (volume, loads, goals)?

Attn Charlie, I see the same thing on my version of Weights Graphs 2 Advanced Stage as well. Also, is it wise to do Push Press on Wed, Incline Press on Thur? Would this not lead to overtraining the anterior deltoid (front shoulder) muscle by using it two days in a row?

I see the same thing in graph 1 as well. Incline press being done on Wed, Push Press being done on Thur, and Bench Press as well as Military Press being done on Friday.

P.S. I think that perhaps in graph 2 Monday and Tuesday are exactly the same as graph 1 and this is why we have the problem we do! But even if these days are switched as Charlie on the dvd might indicate it still does not answer or solve the secondary problem I pointed up above. For example, lets switch the days in graph 2 then this leads to doing Bench and Military Press on Tue, Push Press on Wed, and Incline Press on Thur! :eek:

P.S. Is this because supplementary lifts means you do less volume and perhaps load as well?

In our area, the hills end shortly into the SPP due to weather deterioration, though they could be maintained up to 3 weeks before the pre-comp period if weather permits.
As for weights, the GPP usually is the time for hypertrophy weights, as advanced athletes who need less hypertrophy also need less GPP.

I don’t have the graphs with me as they were put into the film itself - there should be two graph possibilities- beginner and advanced. As I can’t access the graphs from here, can you pull them out and print them so we can see if you’re reading them as intended? I know it’s a pain- but, if you can’t print them, can you copy them and post here exactly as shown?
Supplementary lifts are always MUCH lower load and would not count towards high intensity totals.

The programme on the DVD sounds very interesting. As some of us on the Forum are not in a position to order the DVD - would it be possible, Charlie, to maybe print the programme on the Forum?

I would LOVE to see the examples, please.

Thank you.

Not sure what you mean. Do you want me to just list them here as they are on the DVD or print them from the DVD to the internet some how? I will list them as I see them on the DVD for the Advanced Weight Athletes later on today.

You don’t know what your missing! :eek:

Actually the DVD Voice of CF states that lower leg work would be done on MWF in graph 2 so it is incorrect. But this still does not answer my other quesitons.

Will post the graphs in an minute.

Thanks. Be sure to list which are the primary lifts and which are secondary for each day.

As Stated Exactly on the DVD.

In Graph 1 Monday consits of Primary Lifts 1. Bench;
Secondary Lifts are 1. Lat Pulldowns Front, 3. Military Press, and 4. Seated Rows.

Tuesday consist of Primary Lifts 1. Power Cleans/technical, 2. Deadlifts,
3. Back Squats;
Secondary Lifts are 1. Romanian Deadlifts.

Wednesday consist of Primary Lifts 1. Incline Press;
Secondary Lifts are 1. Lat Pulldowns Back, and 2. Seated Rows.

Thursday consist of Primary Lifts 1. Power Cleans/technical, 3. Back Squats;
Secondary Lifts are 1. Push Press, and 2. Good Mornings.

Friday consist of Primary Lifts 1. Bench;
Secondary Lifts are 1. Lat Pulldowns Front, 3. Military Press, and 4. Seated Rows.

Saturday consist of Primary Lifts 1. Power Cleans/technical, 2. Deadlifts,
3. Back Squats;

No problems so far (except the anterior deltoid one).

In Graph 2,

Monday is same as Monday in graph 1, which consits of Primary Lifts

1. Bench;
    Secondary Lifts are 1. Lat Pulldowns Front, 3. Military Press, and
  2. Seated Rows.

Tuesday is same as Tuesday in graph 1, which consist of Primary Lifts

1. Power Cleans/technical, 2. Deadlifts, 3. Back Squats;

Wednesday is same as Thursday in graph 1, which consist of Primary Lifts

1. Power Cleans/technical, 3. Back Squats;
    Secondary Lifts are 1. Push Press, and 2. Good Mornings.

Thursday is same as Wednesday in graph 1, which consist of Primary Lifts

1. Incline Press;
    Secondary Lifts are 1. Lat Pulldowns Back, and 2. Seated Rows.

Friday is same as Saturday in graph 1, which consist of Primary Lifts 1. Power Cleans/technical, 2. Deadlifts, 3. Back Squats;

Saturday is same as Friday in graph 1, which consist of Primary Lifts

1. Bench;
    Secondary Lifts are 1. Lat Pulldowns Front, 3. Military Press, and
  2. Seated Rows.

No problems with graph 3!

In Graph 1 Monday consits of Primary Lifts 1. Bench; Secondary Lifts are

1. Lat Pulldowns Front, 3. Military Press, and 4. Seated Rows. So is there an exercise missing since # 2. is not listed or is correct to assume that this is just a misprint on the DVD and these are the correct exercises in the correct order (I am referring to there being no second exercised listed it goes from lat pulldowns listed as 1. Lat Pulldowns Front and then 3. Military Press and then
  2. Seated Rows)? This happens on Thursday in Graph 1 as well. In Graph 2 it happens on those listing but different days since the days are switched. Not a big deal unless Charlie is hiding some secret exercise that produces 9.79
    sprinters. :eek:

The anterior deltoid problem however is not completely solved although if the CNS stress is not high then I guess overtraining can be avoided.

The graph is wrong, however if you listen to Charlie on the DVD you’ll know that in graph 2 that monday should be a legs (squats) day and tuesday an upperbody (bench) day. Just switch the Monday with the Tuesday with each other in Graph 2 and you’ll be fine.

Sorry about that. I can’t get at the raw footage for a while as the guy who has it is out of town for another month but we’ll see if we can fix it. Hopefully the description allows everyone to figure it out ok. We were doing the editing very late at night!

About the hills, i have a question;
hills can be done in 2 ways, so;
asphalt surface and over 90% effort
and grass surface but not so hard ( because of friction ).
DVD shows only grass examples.