Gpp

Is there a given time for GPP? I know for high level athletes the time spent in GPP is less than a novice but, when do you know to move on?

Question 2 :slight_smile:

Also I was looking through my copy of CTFS and I was trying to figure out if there was a way to make the training princibles tailored for a long to short program. Or is it OK for anyone regardless of thier level to follow a short to long program?

Thanks

-j

Typo thats…

CFTS :wink:

You can hit edit to go back and correct typos.

There is no ideal- only specific solutions for individuals. depends on:
1:Nature of program- short-to-long or long-to-short.
2:Number of training years- more can be gained initially by developing general fitness first, and, as the beginner reaches his (lower) top speed sooner in the race, he will spend more race time in the speed endurance area.
3:Time of year- the vol of accel work must be balanced against requiremed vols for speed and speed endurance.
4: Individual tolerance for high intensity work (less tolerance requires more work in the endurance portion of the equation)

You have to develop through acceleration first (with general endurance and fitness at the other end of the development curve). But, once acceleration is in place, top speed WILL influence the acceleration curve as well as vice-versa.
As for time under acceleration, I think it is a bit tricky to answer but, I suspect, for the higher level sprinters, the development would yield a longer accel time initially, but development of accel would yield the previous velocities sooner, though new top speed capacities, achieved farther into the race, would end up leaving the acceleration duration pretty much constant.
sorry if this is a little convoluted.

In both programs, acceleration and speed end are developed from the beginning and acceleration distances are used to control the speed of execution.
With the long-to-short approach, the main emphasis is on longer runs, so accel vols start off a bit lower and tend to be concentrated on accel distances needed for the speed required, ie 20m accel is adequate for any level of 600m run required (20m accel + maintain).
With the short-to-long approach, the initial accel vols are higher and tend to run slightly longer than required for the speed end runs at any given time, ie accels out to 30m simultaneous to speed end runs of 60m, performed as 20m accel + 40 maintain.

Whatever method is used, you must develop general conditionning first (get the 5 seconds available in the 200m before worrying about the .3 available in the first 30m) This is what I mean by thre “Right to Left” shift of trainng throughout a career, BUT the means to general conditionning may not be related to the selection of Special Endurance distances. in fact a 15 year old should not be running SE beyond 150m, yet he can work on General conditionning without a problem, and an athlete emphasizing shorter runs may be far fitter than an athlete using longer SE.
The selection of approach should have more to do with individual aptitude.

Think of long-to-short and short-to-long as acting along a speed curve, moving up then down again. So you could work on accels out to 20 and then ues accel to 20 + maintain, generating enough speed to break the world record in the 600m, then 30m accel + maintain to break the WR in the 400m, 40 + maintain for the 200m, accel as far a possible, up to 60m for the 100 WR.
So you can see you can work on Speed and SE at the same time with either approach. The diff is that with L to S you work on accels only out to the distance you’ll use for the SE at any given time, while with the S to L approach, the accels are worked on beyond the distance you use for SE (for example accels out to 40m, but 30m + maintain for serial reps over 60m) Thus speed is developed ahead of SE.

A long-to-short approach (assuming the accels started in the GPP phase).
In this approach the accel is always sufficiently far to support the speed requred for the special endurance done at that point in time. IE
20m accel in place- then 600
25m accel in place- then 500
30m accel in place- then 400
etc.

Everything above is from C.F.

Cool. Thanks. I’ll cut and paste this into word and read it over and over until I have it memorized!

Great post ONE

Incredible insight C.F.

In both programs, acceleration and speed end are developed from the beginning and acceleration distances are used to control the speed of execution.
With the long-to-short approach, the main emphasis is on longer runs, so accel vols start off a bit lower and tend to be concentrated on accel distances needed for the speed required, ie 20m accel is adequate for any level of 600m run required (20m accel + maintain).

Does the above mean run 40m but time last 20m?

Also does hill work and med ball accels count towards total volume for a speed session? What are the volumes for hills and med ball runs?

So you can see you can work on Speed and SE at the same time with either approach. The diff is that with L to S you work on accels only out to the distance you’ll use for the SE at any given time, while with the S to L approach, the accels are worked on beyond the distance you use for SE (for example accels out to 40m, but 30m + maintain for serial reps over 60m) Thus speed is developed ahead of SE.

What exactly is meant by serial reps? is that like 3x3x60m?

A long-to-short approach (assuming the accels started in the GPP phase).
In this approach the accel is always sufficiently far to support the speed requred for the special endurance done at that point in time. IE
20m accel in place- then 600
25m accel in place- then 500
30m accel in place- then 400

[b]I interpeted the above as:

20m accel in place- then 600 You run 20+20
25m accel in place- then 500 You run 25+25
30m accel in place- then 400 You run 30+30
40m accel in place- then 200 You run 40+40
60m accel in place- then 100 You run 60+60

I think Im wrong here… [/b]

Do you test the accel distance from standing every now and then? or do you get the time when doing the 20m+20m runs?

Everything above is from C.F.[/QUOTE]

1: The higher the level the shorter the GPP requirements

2: CFTS applies to both long-to-short and short-to-long programs. this will be dealt with in the new material to be released in a few weeks in E-book format including vastly improved graphics (!) This will be complimentary to the GPP DVD.

Cool. That should clarify things. I’m sure as soon as I get my DVD things should be more clear. The illustrations in the 02 FR are extremley helpful for setting up volumes and stuff.

[/QUOTE]

I’m a little confused by the 20 + 20. When you run the 600s, you accelerate for 20m and maintain the speed achieved by 20m for as far as possible throughout the rest of the 600 (hopefully till the end)

I’m a little confused by the 20 + 20. When you run the 600s, you accelerate for 20m and maintain the speed achieved by 20m for as far as possible throughout the rest of the 600 (hopefully till the end)[/QUOTE]

Oh damn. I had it totally wrong. I thought that the sum of a bunch of flying 20m sprints were supposed to add up to a WR 600m time. So this is more endurance related running not pure power work?

Ok Mr. Francis :wink:

Now a few questions about this type of work. How much per session? If an athlete cant go out to the full 600, should he make that his speed training distance until he-can-go-all-the-way :slight_smile:

Also for the moving up of distances of acceleration (i.e. 20m to 25m to 30m and so on) Do you just test these? How do you know when to move up?

Thanks

Oh damn. I had it totally wrong. I thought that the sum of a bunch of flying 20m sprints were supposed to add up to a WR 600m time. So this is more endurance related running not pure power work?

Yes, this is Spec End 2. If you can’t complete the 600 on pace, you prob have to go out a little slower next time (move the acceleration mark back slightly- 17m maybe)
Usually, you do 2 reps per session with full recovery- which must increase as the times decrease.

Ok Mr. Francis :wink:

Now a few questions about this type of work. How much per session? If an athlete cant go out to the full 600, should he make that his speed training distance until he-can-go-all-the-way :slight_smile:

You can go 600, if the pace is adjusted.

Also for the moving up of distances of acceleration (i.e. 20m to 25m to 30m and so on) Do you just test these? How do you know when to move up?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

It’s pretty certain that you’ll already be able to accel for 20m after the GPP and you’re ready to start the Spec End in the SPP

It’s pretty certain that you’ll already be able to accel for 20m after the GPP and you’re ready to start the Spec End in the SPP[/QUOTE]

Well, Im glad I asked.

Once again, thanks for the help on this. Its starting to make more sense now.

I´m starting to create my first real planning
i´m thinking in mix the GPP with Periodization Training,
it´s good do this ? There´s space for this 2 kinds of train ?

• What the regular basis and the crossroad between they ? -

Put your plan up here in a graph form, if you can, so we can comment.

:slight_smile:
thank uvm,
i´ll work on this next weekend and post here since finished.
Thanks Charlie.

Charlie,
i´m preparing this weekend my GPP for this coming year ( starting next Monday, august 23th ).
I still having some doubts where i would apreciate if you help me on this.
Well, first i would like to tell that this GPP Program covered in DVD is just perfect to me, because, i have 7 more weeks until start a 1 year part time job ( a job from this October to Oct 05, 5 hours a day 8am to 13pm, 6 days a week).
Well, let´s talk about the GPP…

I didn´t wrote the sessions details here because i´m following exactly as described in GPP DVD.
But please, let me know if i´m wrong in any part of this ok ??!! :wink:

Week 1:
Monday / Wednesday / Friday
Hill Work W1;
Weights Upper Body ( Graph 1- Beginner );
Sit-ups (abs exs).

Tuesday / Thursday / Saturday
Tempo Session;
Weights Lower Body ( Graph 1 – Beginner );
Explosive Medicine Ball Throws ( Graph 1 ).

Week 2:
Hill Work W2;
Weights Upper Body ( Graph 1- Beginner );
Sit-ups (abs exs).

Tempo Session;
Weights Lower Body ( Graph 1 – Beginner );

Week 3:
Hill Work W3;
Weights Upper Body ( Graph 1- Advanced );
Sit-ups (abs exs).

Tempo Session;
Weights Lower Body ( Graph 1 - Advanced );

Week 4:
Hill Work W4;
Weights Upper Body ( Graph 1- Advanced );
Sit-ups (abs exs).

Tempo Session;
Weights Lower Body ( Graph 1 - Advanced );
Explosive Medicine Ball Throws ( Graph 2 ).

Week 5:
Hill Work W5 ( Mon&Fri );
Speed Work ( Wednesday );
Weights Upper Body ( Graph 2- Beginner );
Sit-ups (abs exs).

Tempo Session;
Weights Lower Body ( Graph 2 - Beginner );
Explosive Medicine Ball Throws ( Graph 2 ).

Week 6:
Hill Work W6 ( Wednesday );
Speed Work ( Mon&Fri );
Weights Upper Body ( Graph 2- Advanced );
Sit-ups (abs exs).

Tempo Session;
Weights Lower Body ( Graph 2 - Advanced );
Explosive Medicine Ball Throws ( Graph 3 ).

Week 7:
Speed Work;
Weights Upper Body ( Graph 2- Advanced );
Sit-ups (abs exs).

Tempo Session ( Tues&Thurs );
Hill Work ( Saturday );
Weights Lower Body ( Graph 2 - Advanced );
Explosive Medicine Ball Throws ( Graph 3 ).

Charlie, my 1st doubt is about the Weight Work schedule and the Graphs covered by the DVD.
So, basically what i´m planning is;
Graph 1 Beginner Circuit Weights for the first 2 weeks,
Graph 1 Advanced Stage Weights for the next 2 weeks,
so, Weights Graph 1, for the 1st 4 weeks
Then in week 5; Graph 2 Beginner Circuit Weights,
and for weeks 6 and 7, Graph 2 Advanced Stage Weights.
As you can see, i didn´t use the Graph 3 yet, because i´m thinking in use this days of total body weight work only in my SPP ( after the 7 weeks of GPP ).
Any problem with this ?

The other doubt is about the Plyometrics, so, when should they be performed ?
Tempo Days ? Hill Work Days ? Saturdays ?

3rd doubt;
why you called some weight exercises from “Primary Exercises” and “Secondary Exercises” ?

4th;
There is any order for the exercises each day ? ( Weights or Track First ? )

5th and last…
About the Weight Sessions:
What should be the number of sets, reps and the %of 1RM for exercises ?

Charlie,
Sorry for all this questions, but actually, for the first time, i spent some time in my chair, watching the DVD many many times, then thinking and planning about my first step career into sprint world.
Please, don´t let my poor english be a “hurdle” between my thoughts and the real knowledge ok ?!

Tks for the comments,

I see that you have the explosive medball throws on your tempo days. I thought med ball throws recruit a high amount of motor units. If this is so, wouldnt it be better to add those to your speed days?

Flying what are you doing for speed work in weeks 5-7? also how far are the hills?

nycjay01,
speed work for w5 to w7:
in week 5, there´s oly 1 session of speed work performed in middle week day ( and 2 sessions of hill work );
6x10m from lie
6x10m from push-up position
6x20m just as above
6x20m stand start
1x(4x20mE + 20mF + 20mE )
1x50m stand start
TT: 650m

week 6, 2 days of speed work:
1st day:
4x10m from push-up
4x20m same
4x20m stand
2x(4x20mE + 20mF + 20mE )
TT:660m

2nd day:
4x20m from push-up
2x20m stand
4x(20mE + 20mF + 20mE )
4x(20mF + 20mE + 20mF )
1x50m
TT: 650m

and for week 7, 3 days of speed work:
1st day:
same as the 2nd day from week 6

2nd day:
4x30m stand
2x(4x60m)
TT: 600m

3rd day:
2x30m stand
4x40m
4x50m
4x60m
TT: 660m

As you can see, the reps distances are rising as the time passes, but the total volume each day is the same.

The distances for the hills are;
10, 20 and 30m for the first week and then 40m for all other days of hill weeks.

I´m not sure yet about the better day to perform the explosive throws, let´s hold for Charlie´s answer in this.

nycjay01,
if you ( or anyone ) intend to start the GPP, we could start a GPP Journal where each one of us would post comments and the results from this program. This could be very interesting.
What do you think ?

Regards

Sounds like an Idea. Im still waiting on the DVD so Im not sure how I want to set it up yet. I will PM you to discuss this more.

Thanks

Oh and what do you mean by

1x(4x20mE + 20mF + 20mE ) E=Easy F=Fast???

that´s right !!