GPP Speed work

Just ordered and reviewed ‘GPP Essentials’ and have some questions.

In the first 4 weeks, Hill work is to be done 3x a week.

My question is, if I wanted to 1. Reduce sprint work to 2x a week and 2. Replace the hill work with a flat accel. session, What would be good volumes to start with over the weeks?

The volumes I decided on were:
Wk1 3/20yd (2)
Wk2 3/25yd (2)
Wk3 3/30yd (2)
Wk4 3/30yd (2)

-My week would look like this…
Monday:
Pre-Workout A
Hills (per the GPP Chart)
Jumps (Explosive)
Primary Weights (Squat, Bench, RDL, Row, Leg Raise)

Tuesday:
Pre-Workout B
Med Ball Throws
Tempo
Auxiliary Weights (Accessory Work)
Abdominal Circuit

Thursday:
Pre-Workout A
Flat Acceleration
Jumps (Reactive)
Primary Weights (Squat, Bench, RDL, Row, Leg Raise)

Friday:
Pre-Workout B
Med Ball Throws
Tempo
Auxiliary Weights (Accessory Work)
Abdominal Circuit

Notes: I am an American Football Player (DB), and this would be the first 4 weeks post-spring ball.

Any help regarding the volumes of the flat acceleration work would be appreciated, thanks.

Dump the hanging leg raises. Remember GPP is pure accel work 0-30m, keep the volume between 180-250m.

OK. So then the volumes I am doing are alright.

I’d rather have to little volume than to much. Like I posted previously, I’ll be working in 120-180yds. of Accel. work, along with the Hills per GPP graph.

I’m not a sprinter, so personally I don’t think I need as much volume, especially as this year was the first year I performed any real, formal form of sprint training.

Why are you trying to mix flat accel work with the all the hill volume? You are asking for trouble - typical football player.

For my own curiosity, why would he be asking for trouble. I dont have an opinion either way. Would just like to know the reasoning for myself.

Buy the gpp dvd and you will see. Do you think it’s smart to do 400m of hill work + 100m+ of accel?

You recommended at first to run 180m-250m of acceleration work, because this is the purpose of GPP. Now why are you changing your mind saying that I’m asking for trouble? Would you recommend cutting out the flat acceleration work for another hill session?

Like I said I’m planning much lower volumes than what you are recommending and I am only doing intensive running 2x a week. I may also reduce the volume of the hill sprints, but we’ll see.

Like I said in my earlier post, I wouldn’t do 400m of hills follow my 180 of accel work. If you are speaking about doing below - then yes.

4x20
2x3x30 hills
4x20

I don’t mean on the same day.

Monday would be Hills, Thursday would be flat Acceleration.

Sounds good, but I would try and get sled/hill work done in both sessions esp early in the program. EX:

Mon:
3x20 sled
3x30 mb
3x30 face down

Thur:
2x20 pushup
3x20 hill
3x30 hill
3x30 facedown

OK. I see what you’re saying now.

I’m just throwing out ideas, you spent money on the dvd and like the workouts so follow the dvd. Instead of going 3 days go 2 days with half the volume and I promise you will like the results…

Wk 1:
Mon/Thur
5x10-20-30

I agree with RB34.

A few years ago I tried the exact workouts with a few athletes to see how they worked. I used the exact volumes shown for sled work, but as soon as I got into SPP, they hit a wall.

From this experiment I realized the capacities for my athletes which helped shape future workouts/programs.

For non-track athletes, I might only have them for 6-8 weeks, and I would find myself spending half this time doing workouts similar to GPP. I have since modified it to incorporate both GPP style workouts mixed with SPP type accel and speed work. Results after 4 weeks have been fantastic all around.

I keep volumes around 150-200m.

Example:
2-3x20m sled

2-3x20m

1-2x30m

or 2-3x 20m sled

EFEs and FEFs

Plus med ball throws and med ball accels on alternating days

Alright, thanks. I see your points now.

What are EFEs and FEFs?

Edit: Never mind. I’d assume Easy-Fast-Easy Fast-Easy-Fast