GAY/SPEARMON training methods

My guess is you would have to call the 6x250m as 1 REP as opposed to 6 if you see what I mean. Its special endurance rather than intensive tempo.

1500m of se?

Yes, it’s not one rep. Anyone got times for these?

anyone know what intensity they run the one workout at ( 350, 250, 250, 160 )? I’m guessing since it’s 1010m volume that it’d probably be at 90-95%. Seeing that spearmon and gay have 160m times at around 15.7-15.8 that last 160 would be at around 17.4-16.5. Don’t know what their 250 or 350times are.

Would this (350, 250, 250, 150) workout be the same as John Smiths ( 300, 200, 100) workout, but for a 200 runner rather than 100 runner?

“I still got a few but not with me right now, I mean I can tell you that they load up during the fall HEAVY [as in, loads and loads of volume of the running most in int. tempo form] and as the championships roll around they do things at different meters, like 225m and or 125m 2 to 3 good rest and FAST Shocked I mean really fast”

-from a student of brauman’s. may get some of those fall workouts soon–lost them in a computer crash.

From discussion with Tyson, his 300m training PB was nothing special, for someone who has run 19.6. Food for thoughts, so here are some theories:

• this huge intensive tempo has no incidence on his 300m PB, or
  • this huge intensive tempo prevents the development of his 300m PB, or
  • 300m PB was done during these intensive tempo workouts, or
  • 300m PB was done early in the season so it doesn’t match his 19.6 shape, or
  • Tyson doesn’t tolerate (physically, mentally…) long runs at high intensity.

When asked if he wants to run a 400m, he replied No Way. Spearmon is different on this (300m WIR, low 45sec competition…, but only 10.11 few days before 19.65).

Not much focus on weights (doesn’t go heavy at all), but high amount of mutli jumps.

What are Fasuba’s 150 and 300m pb’s PJ?

Thanks

my coach visited them in early june 2006 and told me one of the speed workouts was 2x3x60m, sprint 20m, then relax and maintain 20m, then accelerate to top speed for 20m

Gee! Looks like speed work to me!

yeh and its low vol.

Yeah but that is right around where they are peaking and rather late in the season, as we know they must be doing speed work at that point. What does that leave for the fall and part of winter?

Re: weights for Tyson. In a number of recent interviews with him-maybe in T&FN or at least in articles posted there(I don’t remember) he acknowledged that he needed to focus pretty heavily on his strength training in the future. I’ll see if I can find the article(s).

He does give up a large gap to some guys during the acceleration phase but is always coming on strong late in the race.

I wouldn’t heavily shift my focus if I just PB’d insanely this year. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

That’s what we’d like to see posted if anyone can give the details

150m is 14.87 ht (June 2006) and 300m never tried faster than 34 (May 2005).

Excellent Times. Thank You PJ…

since J-mee samuels trains at arkansas you’d think that gay/spearmon may be trying to match j-mee in terms of strength in the weightroom the same as j-mee may be trying to match them in on-track workouts. Believe J-Mee squats 505 and benches 365 as of march 2006, so perhaps Gay & Spearmon are shooting for J-mee’s weight room numbers, whilst J-mee may be trying to keep up with their intensive tempo numbers, leading up to their special endurance numbers, since he probably already has them matched in the purespeed department (0-60m).

If they can match J-Mee in the weight room they should be ready to go 19.5/19.4 if they aren’t already at J-Mee’s weight room strength.

And conversely if J-mee can match their intensive workout times then he should be able to match their special endurance numbers, which in turn, means he should be able to match their 200m times if not go sub 20 at the very least.

spearmon wont never hit those numbers

J-Mee was at 10.08 for 100 metres in 0.7 wind in 2005 and 20.32 for 200 metres above altitude in 1.1 wind in 2005, so one may be inclined to believe that he could progress to 10.00 or 9.95 in 2007 in the 100 and 20.00 or 19.95 in 2007 in the 200, if he could stay a step or two behind gay and spearmon in the intensive tempo/special endurance range during 2006-2007.

Any thoughts or insights?

Or perhaps since he don’t have brauman’s expertise, for reasons known to the general public, he may just stay within his 2 year old parameters of 10.08 or 20.32 because of this or because of injuries during 2006.

Of course I’m just reporting what he said in an interview.
I do think that would be a point of emphasis for him in the future, though, since by his own admission he has not emphasized that aspect of training in the past and he does get gapped by several people, at times, early in races.