Flying Sprints done properly

In order to be able to control things and see what’s happening, I would maintaing the top speed distance constant -at least initially (e.g., 20 m). In this way a greater stimulus can come from a longer acceleration, or build-up distance, e.g., from 20 to 30 to 40 m and perhaps longer, if you can.
Hope this helps!

If I get what you said right, then you’re saying that I should keep the Fly zone the same mostly, but increase the acceleration zone for progression?

Do you think I should start my flying sprints(in the accel zone i mean) from blocks, or from a near standing position?

Yes, this is what I mean.
If you start from blocks, this will be a flat out drill, not a top speed one.
Falling/rolling starts are fine! Take this time to relax, get “into position” watching your technique (e.g., on the line) and when the top speed zone comes, move arms and stay relaxed!

PS how’s your ankle BTW?

So don’t use blocks then, alright. I’m sorry but what are falling and rolling starts?

Thanks for asking, its a lot better, and able to sprint with again, just some pretty minor pain. I never actually got it checked out, so I’m going to get it officially checked on monday, and get it x-rayed too just to make sure it isn’t a bone thing.

ignore…

Nevermind, I’m going to assume this to be a flying sprint:

Do a gradual acceleration over longer distance(use 20m to begin with, and progress on to 40m or so, maybe 50m if i need to) using standing start, reach 100%(or as much as i can in the accel zone) of top speed, and then maintain this speed(10m at first…progress on to 20m and perhaps 30m if i really feel the need)

That is basically a flying sprint right?

im such a loser lol, but I like to make sure 100% that ive got things down, or else i get all these doubts and stuff and yea…

Yes, this is it in general!
Make sure to take your time for progression, as top speed might be difficult to realise improvements vs. Speed Endurance, for example.
Hope this is ok now!
PS blocks should be avoided for this specific drill, or at least initially; not avoided in gerenal! :wink:

Alright cool, thanks!

Heh yeah I know :slight_smile:

P.S: What are falling/rolling starts?

Falling: as per standing, but to avoid some stress from pushing every time, you can let your self fall forwards and just before losing balance completely, you start running -you may achieve better angles this way, too. It’s on Charlie’s GPP DVD!
Rolling: not standing, but starting with a couple of steps behind the line -I would prefer this one initially for flyings, it gets you in a better position technique-wise for top speed IMO.
Hope this helps!

That helps a lot!

Just wondering though, is the only difference between a rolling start and regular start the distance behind the line? Or is there an actual form difference?

A rolling start is more like a couple of easy jog steps or easy rocking forward before hitting it. I find they are good to help to remind you to stay relaxed through your acceleration. Note, you don’t have to break these down so much. You’re liable to suffer from analysis paralysis. The money part of these drills is in the fly zone. Just get up to (near) top speed and then fly through.

I don’t generally do flying sprints in GPP. GPP is for developing acceleration, then I work into flying sprints as I move to SPP. But yes, if you want to do this, I would think a shorter accel zone would be appropriate. Probably in-n-outs would be
better.

Gotcha.

Thank you everybody for bearing with me!!! :slight_smile:

I agree. I currently do accel dev on hills, and plan on starting flying sprints in SPP.

Thanks for the heads up on the ins and outs!

yet another thread gets added to my list of subscibed ones :smiley:

I would agree that this work is better toward the end of GPP or holding off until SPP. You also are correct in working shorter acceleration zones and then lengthening them as you progress. Start with 20m then 30m and maybe up to 40m. I wouldn’t use blocks.

Sometimes within a session – later in SPP, you can start with 20m acceleration for a couple of reps, then go to 30 for a couple and then 40 for a couple – the shorter ones function as more of a warmup as build up closer to max speed.

What about the breathing patterns for the max velocity runs?

what cues do we need to teaching the athletes.

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=2343&page=2&pp=15&highlight=breathing

In Phase I Speed Progression - Short to Long

The acceleration sprints 2x30 intensity limit is set at 20+m w/ 3.5 min. rest between reps.
Would this be considered a Flying Sprint?

Are ‘Finish Drills’ the same as Flying Sprints?

What would discern these different forms of training from one another?

What would discern these different forms of training from one another?

Accelerations + maintain
Finish drill
Flying Sprint