Flying Sprints done properly

I posted this as part of another thread, but I thought this would be more helpful to me and others

When doing a flying sprint, how hard do you sprint in the Acceleration Zone, and how hard are you sprinting in the Fly Zone?

Lots of details please, because I have been getting a bit overall confused with flying sprints.

Also, are there any biomechanics I should be keeping a mental check of, such as higher hips perhaps?

Hey UnlimitedSteel,

Thanks for asking that question; I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully we’ll get some good answers here.

If your goal for the flying sprint is to work on your top speed, then in the acceleration zone you need to accelerate as fast as necessary to get up to 95%+ of maxV. A shorter acceleration zone will require quicker acceleration. A longer acceleration zone allows for a more gradual acceleration.

In either case, the idea is to be at your top speed for the run prior to entering the zone, Do not try to increase your speed while running through. Simply work on relaxing and maintaining top speed through the flying zone.

Isn’t there a part in training, shown on the GPP video I believe, where you come into the cone already at a decent speed and then accelerate once you reach the zone? Or am I thinking of another drill?

xlr8- So basically, I’m doing an acceleration sprint, 95%, then i just maintain it? Why not go 100% and maintain it?

I figure my problem is, I figure that if I’m not speeding up anymore, and I’m just “maintaining”, this is gonna cause me to just slow down, and not get the job done. Your thoughts?

I remember being told that reaching a decent speed (80+%) for the accel zone and then “blasting” in the fly zone wasnt good because then you are just accelerating, and not actually working top speed. However, I feel like I reach top speed when I do a flying sprint like this. Is there any reason why doing a flying sprint like this is no good?

I think I typed in 95%+, so yes, depending on where you are in your training cycle and what you are trying to accomplish in the workout, you can go 100% in a flying sprint…this is what I usually do!

I figure my problem is, I figure that if I’m not speeding up anymore, and I’m just “maintaining”, this is gonna cause me to just slow down, and not get the job done. Your thoughts?

One of the goals of flying sprints is to teach top speed mechanics and relaxation. You can’t continue to speed up all the way through a 100m sprint, so you have to spend training time getting used to holding on to your speed without tensing up. If you continue to try to accelerte when you are already at maxV, you will tighten up and slow down.

I remember being told that reaching a decent speed (80+%) for the accel zone and then “blasting” in the fly zone wasnt good because then you are just accelerating, and not actually working top speed. However, I feel like I reach top speed when I do a flying sprint like this. Is there any reason why doing a flying sprint like this is no good?

See above. Basically, I think the solution is to try to teach yourself to hit and maintain top speed through the zone. You can do this by understanding when you reach top speed, what it feels like and learning how to relax and keep your speed when you are there.

There are in and out drills where you go:
20m easy, 20m fast, then 20m easy

OR

20m fast, 20m easy, 20m fast

Perhaps this is what you are thinking of? Personally, I don’t consider these flying sprints.

Thanks a lot, now its making more sense.

There’s just one thing that I can’t stop worrying about. If you are doing basically a full out acceleration sprint before you get to the fly zone where you maintain, aren’t you really working acceleration a lot too?

Do you think I should count the accel zone of a flying sprint as part of my total sprint volume then?

Also, do you think an in and out sprint is basically how I was doing my flying sprints?(somewhat light accel, then burst of speed, accelerating in the fly zone basically)

Sure, in order to get to top speed, you obviously have to accelerate first. However, I think the point of flying sprints is to do a bit more gentle acceleration - accelerate smoothly over a longer distance, usually start from the up position - to save your CNS energy for the top speed portion. It is really a matter of changing the emphasis.

Do you think I should count the accel zone of a flying sprint as part of my total sprint volume then?

Absolutely! A good rule of thumb is if you are unsure count it :slight_smile:

Also, do you think an in and out sprint is basically how I was doing my flying sprints?(somewhat light accel, then burst of speed, accelerating in the fly zone basically)

Yeah, probably more so. Note that in-out’s tend to be better for late acceleration than for top speed.

Yes you count every meter as part of the volume. Do you have the Vancouver dvd? I really recommend you buy it. You will be sent a PDF file showing you a short to long program with all the volume distnces set out and the long to short program with all the volume set out. You can then model your sessions on these bench marks. Honestly, its worth buying it will clarify everything once you watch the dvd.

I believe flying 20s could be used for accel as well as top speed.

For top speed obviously reach a high % of your top speed before hitting it.

For accel you would reach approx your 20-30m max speed ie. the speed atained at 20-30m when accelerating hard, but over 40-45m then nail it. Since we do so many 30s this would benefit the accel phase after 30.

xlr8 is right on with his description. I wouldn’t call the acceleration zone a full-out acceleration, but it’s very fast – understanding that you won’t hit top speed in 20 meters or even 30 meters no matter how hard you try. The point is to hit a high speed and then maintain it. As the season progresses, you can extend the acceleration zone to 30 or even 40 meters, which will put you much closer to top speed. The emphasis in the maintenace zone is to hold speed while remaining relaxed. So while there is an important acceleration component in this exercise, the focus is on the maintenance and relaxation portion. And, yes, you should include the acceleration zone as part of your total volume.

Your analysis of in-out sprints vs. flying sprints is correct. You were likely doing your flying sprints like in-outs.

If I understand you correctly, with a short accel zone (say 20m), you aren’t working on maintaining MaxV. If that’s the case, what would be the point of that since you’d always want to run your MaxV in a race.

The acceleration is also determined by how fast you can run. A man who is capable of reaching 12m/s will manage a longer acceleration phase better than a man only capable of reaching a top speed of 9 m/s. So GENERALLY and generally is the operative, a slower athlete needs only shorter acceleration phase bacause he will reach his top end much quicker and hold it for less longer, whilst a faster athlete will attain a high top end speed with a slightly longer acceleration and hold it longer. Hence the fact that most of the finalists in Tokyo 91 and Seoul 88 were achieving top end speeds in the region of 50-60m or 60-70m respectively. Whilst slower athletes achieve top end shortly after the 30m phase. Exposing your body to top end speed at the point where you reach top end speed is MAYBE more important than trying to prolong the acceleration hoping to reach top speed further down the track (unless you are varying intensity and working on technique more than speed). As you become faster the shorter acceleration distances will GENERALLY be inadequate to achieve those top speeds because though you will cover the acc phase faster then before your top end will then come further down the track . But this does not negate the need for longer acceleration distances in training if you are not elite, this maybe the case if you want to vary intensity.

Body position is also very important. You want to be in an upright position entering the zone.

Some drills Charlie showed one of my sprinters while up in Toronto are now staples in my program - and they (my new sprinters) have improved their mechanics for top speed. I will have to figure out if they are in the DVDs.

Does anyone have a script of all the drill names for charlie’s videos?

Alright, I just read over all of your posts, and want to make sure I got this, so here goes.

1. Acceleration zone should be about 95% intensity, so definitely giving it a lot of effort, but just a bit less than all out

2. Start the acceleration zone in more of an upright position, so that when I’m at the fly zone I’ll already be in the right position. Does that make any sense, or should I just start however I want? If I’m starting in a track stance, I figure why not use blocks, so yeah just wanna clarify

3. Fly zone is just maintaining the speed reached in the acceleration zone, so whether or not I’ve actually reached top speed isn’t as important as working on the form and relaxation of near top speeds

4)xlr8 said this "
Sure, in order to get to top speed, you obviously have to accelerate first. However, I think the point of flying sprints is to do a bit more gentle acceleration - accelerate smoothly over a longer distance".
So, if I wanted to make the acceleration zone less “intense” for example, I would accelerate for 40 meters at a slower rate to reach the speed I would in a 20 meter all out acceleration?

1. I’ve built up my acceleration to about 30-40m thus far in the season. How should I progress with my acceleration zones and fly zones? A sample of a 4 week progression would give me a good idea too:slight_smile:

2. This is just something I was thinking about. If the idea is to “maintain” the speed you reach, wouldn’t this kind of be speed endurance really?

Anyways, I don’t have the Vancouver DVD. How much does it cost?

THANKS EVERYBODY!!!

X-ACTLY WHY THIS SITE KICKS MAJOR ASS! All of you guys are fantastic with your willingness to help members!!

I’ve learnt something new today :D!

Would you use a shorter accel zone in GPP, then work up to a full one once you transition into SPP?

I love this site, it is amazing.

mcrepsac- I’m not sure, maybe these guys can help.

Bump for my post above, I think once I’ve got those sorted out I’ll know enough. :slight_smile: