Females and tempo

You must do tempo especially for sport. Females are especially vulnerable because they have trouble staying lean without it….,

Secondly their nervous system can not tolerate higher volumes of more intense alternatives.

Sorry for being daft, and many thanks in advance, but what do you mean by tempo and what would be the more intense alternatives the nervous system wouldn’t tolerate?

Many thanks, love everything you are doing.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/sorry-ladies-your-hunger-pangs-are-more-than-mansize-20100424-tkll.html

Sorry ladies, your hunger pangs are more than man-size

STEPHEN CAUCHI
April 25, 2010

NUTRITION experts are urging overweight women to remember the importance of diet in losing weight, following a host of research papers showing that exercise may encourage them to eat more.

The research shows that although exercise has many cardiovascular benefits for both sexes, its usefulness as a weight-loss technique for women is negated by its stimulating effect on female appetite.

In one study, by the University of Massachusetts for the American Journal of Physiology, the hormonal response of overweight men and women was measured after exercise.

It found that ‘‘women had a more robust hormonal response to exercise’’ that stimulated appetite, replacing the calories lost through exercise. The paper noted that its findings have ''implications both for our understanding of basic human biology … and in terms of exercise and dietary recommendations for the lay public.

‘‘There is some evidence there that women really need to focus on significant modification of diet, as much as exercise, whereas for men the emphasis is more on exercise rather than diet,’’ said Kevin Norton, Professor of exercise science at the University of South Australia.

‘‘Women tend to compensate by eating more. Physical exercise by itself is less likely to lead to weight loss in women than dieting, whereas physical activity for men - and lots of it - may in fact result in significant weight loss.’’

Eleanor Stepanova, 48, of Notting Hill, has been through both the exercise and dieting struggle, and she knows which one works.

From 2006 to 2008, she went to the gym most days of the week to lose weight. Her weight went from 96 kilograms to 88 - but for the 165-centimetre chemical engineer, it was not enough. ‘‘After the workout I would come home tired, hungry and I would eat an enormous amount of food and sit and watch TV,’’ she said.

Ms Stepanova said she was eating healthy food then, but a lot of it.

In August 2008 she joined Weight Watchers, inspired by a couple of workmates who had successfully lost weight using the company’s dieting programs.

Last September, after 13 months, she achieved her target weight of 67 kilograms and there it stays to this day.

‘‘It’s such a pleasant feeling when you jump on the scale and you can see 700 grams off, and then the next week another 700,’’ she said.

‘‘Before dieting, I wasn’t eating bad food, it was just the amount of food I was eating. As soon as I started to bring it under control I started seeing the results immediately.’’

At present, she walks about seven kilometres a day and goes to the gym five days a week.

David Cameron-Smith, from Deakin University’s school of exercise, said that ‘‘men don’t feel hungry the way women feel hungry after exercise’’.

Dr Cameron-Smith, who is conducting a study examining where fat settles in the body, also noted that women lose fat slower than men because of the importance of fat in childbearing. ‘‘Men tend to lose fat faster because they have ‘‘fast fat’’ - fat stored around the middle [of the body],’’ he said.

‘‘For women it’s a little bit slower because they have important fat that you find around the buttocks and thighs.’’

University of New South Wales researcher Anthony O’Sullivan, who has studied how the hormone oestrogen hinders women from shedding body fat, said a woman would ''have to modify her diet to a greater degree than her male counterpart.

‘‘It’s very hard to lose body fat just through exercising,’’ he said. ‘‘You have to do a lot of dieting.’’

Professor O’Sullivan said that the University of Massachusetts study showed that weight-loss programs needed to be designed separately for men and women.

The question is, does Prof O’Sullivan get paid for such deep thoughts? Not that they are not true, far from it, but the problem is not knowledge, is eating less and moving more.

Runs performed at 75% or less of your best time with short recoveries.

Higher volumes of more intense alternatives.
Sprints for example.

From 2006 to 2008, she went to the gym most days of the week to lose weight.

I would like to know what she did at the gym. If, for example, she only walked on the treadmill no surprise she didn’t lost weight.