Faster than the speed of light...the speed of need

Charlie,
I have read both of your books and have studied both of your videos and I was wondering if you could clear up a few things for me? During the GPP phase, what kinds of short accelerations would be done.i.e. 4x10m reaction drills? Could lifts that just involve an athlete’s body weight be used for a 4 week GPP phase? During the max strength and short speed phase, what kind of distances were used and were flying runs or ins and outs used? Thank you.

For the top athletes, the GPP was short- no more than 4 weeks in the fall and shorter for the subsequent training cycles in the year. You could start with light weights or, as we did, with medicine ball work. Accelerations started after 2 weeks and were short, but in-and-outs were reserved for the Special Prep period. Where possible, the accels were done on a smooth grass surface.

Charlie,
Thank you for getting back to me! I was beginning to think that it would go unanswered. Would you mind giving me some info on the GPP phase that I have?
Thanks.

Please describe deflex drills.

whats the reaction box, and those split jumps? can you explain? also what is the numbers (1) and (5) for?

Charlie,
The Dflex (dynamic stretch) drills are just stretching movements specific to sprinting. These include forward/backward lunges, High knee grab (which stretches out the hamstrings) lateral movements, etc… Dflex is like a stretch done during a movement. It is the opposite of static stretching. They are great in that they stretch the muscles by doing movements that are specific to sprinting. There are a number of new studies indicating that static stretching done by itself before a workout can cause injury.

Quick,
The numbers (3) or (5) are the amount of recovery in minutes between sets and reps. The reactive box drill involves stepping onto a box while alternating the legs as fast as possible for a certain number of reps. They are like explosive step ups. Archulleta split jumps are done by doing small bounces in a parallel squat position and then exploding up and landing into a split stance. It is very useful in strengthening the achilles, and tendons in the knee and ankle joints.)
I incorporated both of these plyometric exercises because in the video Charlie talked about using plyometrics that involve the knee in a pistoning movement, these two drills work perfect in that respect.

how many bounces are done in those jumps and do you land in a split stance like the stance you would wind up in after a jerk?

Originally posted by Vincente
I incorporated both of these plyometric exercises because in the video Charlie talked about using plyometrics that involve the knee in a pistoning movement, these two drills work perfect in that respect.

I don’t recall seeing that on the tape. Which one, part 1 or 2 ? Charlie?

You would do five small bounces and then one split jump. Then repeat for say 5 times. The landing would be the same as that used during a jerk. Charlie talks about the types of plyos used in tape 1 or 2. He says it more as a side note than and exclusive point.