Experiment

Pop quiz hot-shot… you can only do 3-5 strength training exercizes for the next 40 workouts - what do you do?

I’m no hot shot, but the first step is to identify the training goal.

‘Strength training’ is an insufficient amount of data, as there are many trainable components of strength

Sure - subject is a beginning sprinter (10.89 ht 11.00 fat 100m prs) 5’9" 160 ~10% bf…looking to get stronger so that he may sprint faster…
low Box Squat 275x1
Deadlift 315
Bench press 205
But the point was more to the hypothetical
“You can do any 3-5 lifts, but only those 3-5 lifts, for the next 40 days. What do you do?” Just an exercise in polling popularity

i’m a hot shot and i say the most important exercise is wobbleboard overhead squats blindfolded. :smiley:

squat
bench
rdl
pullup/lat pulldown

and power cleans

OK, first off, he should clean up his diet and shed a few percent bodyfat. This alone will increase his relative strength/power/speed.

As far as the lifts go, no need for speed strength lifts, as his max strength is insufficient to facilitate any marked performance increase as a result of DE lifts.

I wouldn’t consider speed strength lifts until he approaches the vicinity of a double bodyweight squat and 2.5 bodyweight DL. By then his post chain should be strong enough to yield rewards from the implentation of speed strength lifts.

I would suggest:
squats
GM’s
RDl’s
bench press
pull up/chin up

I would use variations of all of the above, as forty days, in my view, is too long a period of time to utilize the exact same variation of any lift.

In regards to strength/power development, I feel that there is little room for short answers

but can you go to the bathroom while doing this?

One-arm overhead clubbell pistols on said wobbleboard blindfold. Don’t forget your earplugs.

How much variation do you figure in those estimates? (2x BW and 2.5xBW) Is there any other signals to start speed lifts/DE in addition to those guidelines?

Quark, I suggested these guidelines to be viewed in a general sense and in relation to the numbers which Brian posted.

My view on the implementation of speed strength lifts is based upon the athletes level of physical preparedness and a needs analysis.

Med ball work may be introduced at a very early stage and is a great means of power conversion for athletes.

In general times, I would assess the cross-sectional state of the athlete as well as certain strength levels, force: posture, muscular coordination, etc in order to determine whether the integration of speed strength lifts is appropriate.

Remember, a very simple, yet highly effective equation for raising strength/power/speed is

1. Increase limit and relative strength in basic compound lifts (squats, gm’s, dl’s, presses, rows, pull ups, dips, shrugs, etc)
  2. Explosive med ball throws and plyometric jumps
  3. Speed work (sprints, starts, accels, etc)

Limit strength + relative strength + power + speed makes for a hell of a foundation of physical preparedness, now just add the technical development of whatever sport skill is necessary.

Thank you. I am still trying to figure this stuff out and these key pieces help a lot.