Doha 2019

He will beat all of them.

Wow - that boy Grant.

Angela, how much time would CF advise top level sprinters to have off after a major comp ? I know John Smith gives up to three months. I am sure Gatlin has had such periods off to help recuperate.

I’m sorry but 3 months is stupid unless serious injuries are at play. I have always heard Charlie recommend 2-4 weeks after the season. I don’t think JS ever recommended 3 months of rest after a major comp.

It would depend on who it was and what they ran and which event. Up to three months? THat’s a big chuck of time and I don’t think any of Charlie’s people ever took that kind of time off. It’s true that the more experienced and higher the level the longer you could or might take off and the converse is also true. The younger and least experienced athletes might have a few weeks but it’s active recovery like swimming and cycling and general cals.

I like to hear this from John directly or witness it. It’s true that this seems like a crazy amount of time. I’ll ask BJ and see what he says.

Don’t forget, our experience with some of the athletes coming to us was that in comparison Charlie’s protocols for training and rest and recovery were not standard or normal. Charlie was not so interested in today and nothing else beyond today. He cared about the athletes and wanted them to be able to enjoy life after they finished running and he wanted them to be able to walk.

I’ll never forget how many people we watched barely able to walk when we went into the offices of Lions in Detroit. Okay, maybe not a fair comparison but getting literally and physically beaten up from your day job does not have to happen.

I still hear of people that are doing tempo on cement and the track with their spikes. No value has been attached what so ever to wear and tear and longer term build up of volume.

How about that 400!!!

Both great runs, I think the lane draw was significant. Would be interesting to see the splits, compare them to Marita, Jarmilla, and Marie Jose. I would hazard a guess our good friend PJV would be able to produce such stats. I havnt posted on the site for years. Coaching took a bit of a back seat following a heart attack a few years back, but more involved of late, retirement helps.

3 months is a long time and especially when considering that tendons lose their capacity to tolerate stress/force after 5-10 days. But considering Shelly Ann Fraser Pryce performance after significant break and Gatlin’s longevity (substantial time off) I’m starting to think that their maybe some value in longer periods away from the track. Obviously, the athlete would need monitor body composition and integrate some general fitness activities. The abovementioned athletes did take a substantial amount of time to return to their best after time off.

I’ve been studying the training structure of horse trainers and they only work horses twice per week and give them 12 weeks spelling and then 4 weeks of pre-training. Thoroughbred breed racehorses are the only other mammal that suffer from tendinopathy.

I know a few track/field athletes that have had total hip, knee and or shoulder replacements at a young age. Their coaches are still in the game and hurting another generation of athletes.

One of the greatest ever.

Sharmer, I am sure you know or knew Charlie’s comments about horse racing?

And don’t forget, are we hearing full disclosure when it comes to what is going on with the training? No, we aren’t.

Is 3 months crazy to take off? Likely it depends on who is it and what they are doing in todays training environments.

I’m going to speak with Tudor about this and get his thoughts.

Athletes are expendable in certain sports so unless the athletes are aware of this and have a plan to avoid it, this is what might happen.

Sharmer, When do we ( I …:wink: get the updated 2019 avatar? LOOKing good!

Ilya Ilyin, who was undefeated during his Olympic weightlifting career until this year, took nine months off from specific training after his Olympic gold medals.

I imagine there are going to variables of age, training back ground and event. The individual matters most I suspect.

She is only 21 as well. Pretty awesome.

What’s up with the WR holder and another 2 year injury from a major track star? When did it start taking 2 years to recover from an injury? Are they growing him a new knee?

Maybe Wayde is saving himself for next year?

well gat was also trying out for NFl teams…then when he came back he went from 10.6 to 9.7 and ran damn near 100 races during his comeback. Shelly being pregnant it also took her a while to return to form. I hear pregnancy gives women a boost in test. dont kno whow tru.

Recent picture, i am better shape now then when at 20. Easy, fast 14-16 hrs a day.