does diameter of med matter

I came across an interesting website

(www.d-ball.com/ballsizeweight.html)

which claims
“One size per weight does not fit all - The size ratio of ball to rib cage which is the base of support for lifts, increases and decreases the level of effort.” It would seem to make sense. but how much effect would verying the diameter of med balls really have. And what would be the best way to this small ball on speed day because you can throw faster and farther and lg ball on tempo sense it would use more core or would small ball on speed day place too great a demend on cns and it be better to use the lg ball cause it takes more overall strength.

It does make a difference in distance thrown, but not that much in my opinion. If you really want something you can throw far, use a shot, which will be smaller than any medball probably. The shots will definately go further than a medball, but from my experience it doesn’t seem like all that much, just better for quantifying I guess. Unless the medball is massive and the person is small, I don’t see it really being an issue.

It seems to me the smaller the ball the less core activation would be involved. Isn’t the reason that something of the same weight but smaller diameter can be thrown farther due that fact that having your arms closer together puts your body in a more stable position which leads to less core activation and because one is able to be much more stable with less effort the body can fire the major muscle groups harder? If that is true once one reaches a certain level of core strength using a small ball would place very little stress on the core.

I think you are really over complicating it. With a shot, you can easily get both hands around it nicely and all of your force goes into the throw vs a throw w/ a typical medball ~basketball size where your hands are just underneath or to the side and you do not have a full grasp of it. And extreme comparison would be to jumping on a hard surface or jumping in sand. I think there is core stress no matter what and the type of throw and intensity would have a greater effect of how much the “core” is activated (hate that phrase). Also, you aren’t going to bomb a shot of equal weight double the distance or a medball or anything like that. You’ll get some more distance but nothing huge. I have used both and like both. I like the medball when I am throwing against a wall since it will bounce back and I like a shot for ohb since there is a lot of data on OHB w/ a shot and I feel like I can put everything into it. If I didn’t have access to a shot, I would live and train fine, I just think it is a nice convenience.