Diffence between Tempo and intervals?

If from 0-15 sec is Alactate; 15-90 is Lactic; and 90-300 sec is lactic w/ aerobic support,
How does this correspond with Speed end (SE1) and Special Enudurance (SE2).

If I have my sprinters run 200+200 @ 75%,(+ = jogging rest) how is this different than intervals or splits? Wouldn’t an interval be minimal rest also? Would the difference be the tempo or rest?

Please don’t suggest I read the book (forum)called lactate threshold. It is a superb forum but I am already reading from 3 books per week minimum for college classes. Give me the quick and dirty!
Thanks

The 200+200 session is referred to as Split Runs. They are geared towards race modeling/race prep, so 75% on these is not what you’re looking for. But, this could be a tempo-like session, if you are doing them no faster than 75% (absolute max I would say). An interval session is done w/ various reps with a set rest period, i.e. 6x200 @ 26 seconds w/ 3 minutes between reps. Not quite sure on what you were asking about Speed Endurance and Special Endurance, could you rephrase the question? Hope that somewhat helped. Oh, and if you can find time, the Lactate Threshold training thread is well worth the read (I know you didn’t want to hear that, but it is worth the effort!). Break it up into segments!

as far as the famous Lactate thread goes…That is exactly what I am doing…breaking it up like chapters.

Would your intervals be used for training SE2 as it relates to 400 mtr runners?
eg- 150-600 mtr reps w/ full rr

alactate is just up to 6-7sec. thats the point why you also need speed endurance for the 100m

Maybe I’m wrong, but 200+200 at a low intensity like 75% and below sounds more like extensive tempo as long as your fitness level allows you to do a higher number of reps with the last rep as fast as the first.
But that also depends on the duration of the “+”, the jog rest.

That is what I initially thought. That these were tempos
for example I had some sprinters do
2x 300+200+100. (+= 200 m walk)
They completed each run at relatively similar times; they rested for nearly for 7 min between sets. I have also gave them 3x200+200; 200 meter walk; 5-7 min rr.

All of these were done below 75%

opposite of speed days I would give either short speed workouts or intervals (eg- 3x250, 3x150; 10 mn rr between reps; 20 mn rr between sets done at 90%)

while we are chattin… what is really rep power and how do I get it?

Rep power is points toward your reputation. If a member likes what you posted, they can add to your rep points. The little scales on the right hand corner of the message box is where you can do this. Click on it and a box comes up.

Hi WR,
and what are those green squares? Activity? I noticed that my rep started to “grow” after 40th-50th post… Everythig affects rep power (activity, number of postst and thread started, votes etc)

Duxx,

Not exactly sure to what the green squares are or what they signify… I notice that as rep power increases, so do the number of green squares… But you are right, votes are not the only thing that can have an effect on rep power.

Greensquares are amusing. I have a “reputation that is beyond repute” - how can that be? :stuck_out_tongue:

well I have a brilliant future …guess it’s just my past that is dodgey :smiley:

Back on subject

That is what I initially thought. That these were tempos
for example I had some sprinters do
2x 300+200+100. (+= 200 m walk)
They completed each run at relatively similar times; they rested for nearly for 7 min between sets. I have also gave them 3x200+200; 200 meter walk; 5-7 min rr.

All of these were done below 75%

sonicboom that seems like a HUGE rest period for tempo. My understanding is that the rest between reps is more in the range of 30 - 60 seconds (I usually opt for 30) and a 60-90 between sets.

more than half of the team is brand new to track and/or underclassmen.

1. I don’t want to scare them off early
  2. I was only going to use this for the 1st week or so.
    After that I would give shorter rests. Thanks for the insight however.

WOuld you use long to short for tempos and intervals and short to long for accel, max speed and speed endurance?

Tempos stay reasonably consistent in terms of being 100s, 200s or a mix of both within a session. Just the volume changes, decreasing somewhat as the season progresses.

Keep in mind that tempos are for recovery and general conditioning. Though they operate somewhat like intervals, the intensity is low, which is why recoveries are short. When I hear the term intervals, I think of middle distance or distance training where you’re running some pretty hard reps with shorter recoveries. More like the split runs a sprinter would do but over a longer distance.

So I would say that the long to short aspect is in terms of tempo volume rather than tempo rep distance.

thanks. I am submitting my workout schedule for a short 12 week season that begins on monday. I will put in quarter milers schedule as well as the 100-200 kids. Hope to get some feedback.
ANy idea how long the books and dvds take to arrive?

[Speed (Sp); Weights (w); tempo (t); rest ®; Plyometrics §]

March
13-Sp; w; p
14-T
15-Sp; W; P
16-Tempo
17- Sp; W; P;
18-Tempo

20-Sp; W; P
21-Tempo
22-Sp; W; P
23-Tempo
24-Meet

27- Tempo
28- Sp; W; P
29- Tempo
30- Sp; W; P
31- Tempo

April 1st- Meet

Spring break
April
3- Sp; W; P
4- Tempo
5- Sp; W; P
6- Tempo
7- Sp; W; P

10- Tempo
11- Meet
12- Tempo
13- Sp; W; P
14- Tempo
15- Sp; W; P

17- Tempo
18- Meet
19- Tempo
20- “ “
21- Meet
22- Tempo

24-Sp; W; P
25- Tempo
26-Sp; W; P
27-Tempo
28- Meet
29- Meet

May
1-Sp; W; P
2- Sp; W; P
3-Tempo
4- Meet
5-Tempo
6- Sp; W; P

8-Tempo
9- Meet
10- Tempo
11-Sp; W; P
12- Tempo
13-Sp; W; P

15- Tempo
16-Sp; W; P
17- Tempo
18- Sp; W; P
19- Tempo
20-Sp; W; P

22- Tempo
23- Meet (Conference)
24-Tempo; rest
25- Conference
26- Tempo
27- Sp; W; P

29- Sp; W; P
30- Light; rest
31-Regional
June
1- Light; rest
2- Regional
State Championships June 9-10th

I will submit in greater detail the workout plan this afternoon

Looks good to me, though, I’d consider dropping tempo before major meets and replacing it with a day off or just a brief warmup.

Might also back off on weights and plyos when two days before a meet. Upper body would be OK and maybe just a limited amount of speed bounding – if anything when two days before a meet.

Will do, thanks and will submit over the weekend or on Monday.

I have read that a tempo workout should not cause a lactate buildup. What are your thoughts