Dietrich Buchenholz aka DB Hammer

You’re missing something. Look at the results. The terminology makes everything seem overcomplicated.

I have read my name a couple of time on this so I thought I would chime in. I am intriquiged by much of what DB writes. I (as most on this forum) love to try, read, learn new concepts. DB does have some confusing phrases and I believe it is easy to be turned off by the way he writes. But, from my dealings with him he has been very helpful and willing to explain all his concepts. My assesment of training with him is posted on his site. Feel free to contact me if anyone has any questions.
toddhamer@hotmail.com

Among the other interesting points, I think that the two factor theory itself and its intriguing application proposed by DB is something reallly deserves more attention and is seldomly discussed.
Its implications would also help to fully understand and manage the “less is more” concept.

any clear protocols or concepts? Anyone can share a workout on how they used his methods?

I have just finished reading the book. To me it’s nothing ground breaking as I’ve been using almost all of these techniques for sometime. However I did pic up a few new info that I’ll be sure to apply.

However DB is overly complicated. As I always say, “Complexity if the language of the simple minds”. That, or he is trying to make his system look more scientific and novel than it is.

Furthermore, the book was shipped to me from Mesa Arizona … same city as Jay Schroeder I believe. Since the material is similar to JS’ I do smell something fishy.

If you go to DB’s website you can see some of his concepts, methods there. I did write an article for him about my experience but I did not write exactly what he had me do. I have saved everything he ever sent me and with DB’s approval will post some of it.

I had a feeling there was something there :stuck_out_tongue:

There has to be something to the “coincidences.” Evo-sport ~ Innosport. The use of the word methodics. Alot of emphasis on bench press. Similar methods. And now that you mention the Arizona thing, it’s interesting that DB’s articles pop up on elitefts where they are often giving praise to Schroeder.

Maybe I shouldn’t mention this, but COUGH…whois…COUGH, and you’ll find out something pretty interesting.

DB is certainly German though, I don’t think they are the same people.

But I am thinking that maybe JS is somehow linked to DB.

I thought that same thing too whenever I got my book, - it being shipped from Mesa. But according to the ST list one of the books editors, Jeremy Diamond, is also from Mesa.

I asked DB about the Schroeder thing and he said anyone he consults with is assured confidentiality and it’s not about turning heads listing a big name athlete or the coaches who he has assisted. It’s about helping anyone who is interested so that the the sports training world, as a whole, will rise up and selling off names is a step backwards from that.

Anyway, I have put together quite a comprehensive list of notes from his articles and such to help interpret and dumb down the basics of his stuff so anyone who’s interested will better be able to understand his articles, terminology, workouts and such. I will ask him if it’s ok if I give this out and if he agrees I’ll post where you’ll can get a copy. It won’t come close to replacing the book but will at least give some background and understanding for those interested.

Sorry, ignore this.

The cheat sheet would be great.

I’m about half-way through his book. He includes a lot of new (and unecessary) terminology. Some examples: miometric = concentric movement, rate of force manipulation (RFM) = speed, duration of force manipulation (DFM) = strength, magnitude of force manipulation (MFM) = power. The interesting thing is that in the book, he often includes the standard definition in parenthesis right next to the new term! I don’t have a problem with coming up with new terms for new concepts, but if the concept is exactly the same, then use the generally accepted term. How would you guys like it is instead of sprinting, I started calling it bipedal, cyclical rate of force manipulation training (BCRFMT)!?! For me, this sets off the warning flags right from the start.

However, that said, the concepts appear to be quite interesting and right in line with the Jay Schroder stuff. However, in the case of DB, he has actually taken the time to outline his methodology and some of the theory behind it. So far, long-term planning (how to organize off-season, in-season, peaking, etc) seems to be missing but it could be that I haven’t gotten to it yet.

Since many are familiar with the Westside training, DBs stuff is an interesting contrast. In a nutshell, Westside proposes that the path to sporting performance is to get massively strong and they provide a great training program for accomplishing that. DB stipulates that the path to sporting performance is by learning to utilize the stretch shortening cycle through neural training. Pure strength training (what he calls DFM) can even impede this. I’m sure that both sides will argue that these short descriptions are inadequate (and I won’t try to defend myself on that count) but I think they capture the essence of the two training methodologies.

I’m going to try to get through the rest of the manual in the next few days. If anything interesting jumps out at me I’ll provide an update.

Hmm I still dont understand why both cant be included. Limited, but both. I have been thinking about it and maybe this could work, as well I thought a fast eccentric portion of the lift w/ a lighter weight qualifies as taking advantage of the ssc, as well because of this plyo is not essential? or needed as often?
Day 1-Sprint and Lift
Snatch
ME Squat
Day 2-Tempo and Upper
ME upper
A couple of assitance exercises, repitition method
Day 3-Off
Day 4-Sprint and Lift
C and J
ME Pull
Day 5-Tempo
Day 6-Tempo
Day 7-Off

3 days of tempo, 2 days of fast running, 3 days of weight training to split it up, ssc and max strength methods combined i think…?

from what I can gather DB’s athletes are damn strong as well

I remember reading a lot of things from him on Supertraining over the past few months. I have to say I wasn’t particularly impressed with things he had to say, nor with his attitude.

He actually has a bunch of articles on Westside’s site. He doesn’t believe in off-season, in-season, peaking linear type periodization. He uses autoregulatory training. Basically he measures fatigue in each session and is constantly adapting the program in response to how frequently you train and other factors.

What he’s doing is optimizing the static-spring effect, which is going to be different for everyone. Static can be likened to muscular strength whereas spring can be likened to reactive strength. Obviously a powerlifter is going to require a certain degree of reactive ability, but less then that of a sprinter or high-jumper and that shows in his programs. The methods he uses to develop strength in a powerlifter are often not going to be the same methods to develop strength in a speed athlete, unless that powerlifter is very speed/reactive deficient. The more speed one requires, the more Plyometric work is going to be built into the strength program, which is where methods like Oscillatory Isometrics fit in……a strength method that still incorporates mixing the 2 (static and spring) together. Actually his strength programs show a lot of similarity to Westside, albeit with different methods and more individuality to determine focus through tests. He tends to alternate workouts. Westside does a lot of speed or power work and even reactive work by using bands and such. DB does much of the same determining on the individual. For example, It could be a powerlifter who is very strength deficient may be doing more of a pure strength (neuro-duration) program. For someone like that, pure Iso’s could constitute a strength/neuro-duration workout while OI’s could make up their speed workout. At the other end, a powerlifter who’s speed deficient….OI’s could make up their strength workout while bench throws and other reactive methods would make up their speed workout.

I’ve been playing around with a lot of his methods and tests lately and have kind’ve experienced a lot of what he talks about. He talks about the ability to release tension after building it to the max and it’s importance for heightening reflexive reactivity. I’ve found the OI’s are a lot of fun and it really is tough to release tension so quickly – but the more effectively it can be done the better the reflexive performance. Like him or not, I see those becoming a staple in a lot of programs in the coming years.

I’m naturally reactive dominant and have done lots of slow strength training over the years. I don’t tend to see any or many ill effects of bad programming even when laying off of any type of speed work for months on end. I can still easily get off a quality 6- punch combination in under a second if not better - even having not done boxing or martial arts in years. Yet when it comes to something requiring even faster speed, like what he describes in one of his neuro-rate speed test – tapping the hand as fast as possible. I try to do that trying to “vibrate” maximally; and after only a second my whole arm knots up and cramps and puts me in pain. So I would think that’s the negative influence of my training and inability of my system to contract and relax at that speed. It may not rear itself for me in most movements, yet put the contraction rate high enough and it does. For some others it might happen at a lower contraction and relaxation rate, like with sprinting.

When someone trains for max tension only and then is put into a situation where they must very quickly gain and release this tension their muscle function can falter. The point at which this happens is going to be variable for everyone, the naturally more “strength” dominant one is vs reactive the sooner this will occur, which is why he doesn’t recommend pure strength training for everyone

For inadequate You may define them,thanks! I needed a fine straight to the point wrap up at this time!

numba,

I’m not sure I understand his microcycle planning enough to answer your question, but based on our previous discussions, I think you would be quite interested in DBs book since it seems to be right in line with the kinds of things you wanted to do.

As far as combining WS and DB, I think that some of the training methods do overlap. I was talking more about the philosophy of sports performance enhancement, not the actual training modalities.