Dietrich Buchenholz aka DB Hammer

Yes, I finished the book last night and you are correct. He talks about nano-, micro- and macro- cycles but doesn’t address seasonal planning at all. This leaves me at a bit of a loss as to how to integrate it into a typical football season. Obviously the practice and games that I do during the in-season will impact my other training and I’m not sure how this fits into his auto-reg training.

Thanks for the tip to the articles on WS. I’ll take a look at those and see if it clears it up!

Good summary Kellyb! <clap> <clap>

I also agree with you that OI training is one of the more intriguing concepts in the book. It intuitively has a lot of applicability to speed, since the ability to relax quickly is arguably as important as the ability to contract quickly and traditional strength training does address this.

I have been struggling with the concept of relaxing while I sprint (I tend to want to power through the whole thing!) And saying “relax” in the general sense is a bit too unspecific for me to fully grasp. I’m wondering if OI can help me localize the concept of relaxation during power movements. In addition, OI involves being very specific about what gets relaxed…you will need to keep the core solid while only relaxing the agonists, which is exactly what is appropriate in sprinting as well. So I’m looking forward to trying these out.

Being a little further away than you guys - my book is taking longer than I expected - but I can’t wait to get reading his concepts - definietly sounds interesting …

Some of his claims seem a tad extreme:

"Athletes of any qualification will see a return of at least 18% in their first run with AMT work for vertical jump enhancement. If they do not, it was due to poor administration or failure to meet the list of pre-requisites. This method has also been used, in conjunction with other methods, to produce hundreds of pounds of improvements in squat poundages with dozens of advanced athletes (I am talking 635 lb raw squat to 855 lbs raw in under 60 days! (Only 5 sessions!)). "

http://www.elitefitnesssystems.com/documents/pick_your_poison_db_hammer.htm

That’s the whole premise of that article. All the stuff you’re doing right now is giving marginal results including olympic lifts. I think some people feel offended by his confidence and threatened by the fact that they might have been doing far from the optimal ways of lifting. The fact that Hamer gained 30 lbs. on his bench in a few weeks without even following the routine completely and having little sleep says alot.

Where can i purchase this book??

Thank You!

www.inno-sport.net

[QUOTE=xlr8]I’m about half-way through his book. He includes a lot of new (and unecessary) terminology. Some examples: miometric = concentric movement, rate of force manipulation (RFM) = speed, duration of force manipulation (DFM) = strength, magnitude of force manipulation (MFM) = power. The interesting thing is that in the book, he often includes the standard definition in parenthesis right next to the new term! I don’t have a problem with coming up with new terms for new concepts, but if the concept is exactly the same, then use the generally accepted term. How would you guys like it is instead of sprinting, I started calling it bipedal, cyclical rate of force manipulation training (BCRFMT)!?! For me, this sets off the warning flags right from the start.

[QUOTE]

Christian T kinda does this, for a different purpose though… tries to make the name explain the exercise better…

Yeah, I like the explanation of the difference of a muscle, power, and squat clean. I have always been told that athletes need to do the power clean, and so when I did it, I always did it with a full squat instead of the quarter squat.

bottom line…is the book worth getting?

depends, I don’t have the book yet, but I suspect it would aimed at people who have good general understanding of advanced training concepts

I have been in contact with DB over the past couple of months via e-mail. I am sold on his system because it works unlike any other system. My clients are experiencing tremendous gains (Iso bench press hold for 8 seconds at the (CJC) weight increase of 70lbs from 335 to 405 in a 22 day cycle by a 220 lb running back/ 1 legged squat increase from 3 sets of 6 reps @ 115 lbs to 10 sets of 10 reps @ 155 lbs also in a 22 day cycle by a 240 lb wide receiver) I have asked DB about Jay’s methods. He said he is not impressed by what Jay does, and his athletes don’t really put up the numbers that Jay claims they do, or work out as often as he says they do. Also, a lot of Jays athletes progress stalled and Jay couldn’t do anything about it so his athletes actually contacted DB to have him help them out. It isn’t really to impressive to be a strength coach for over 20 years and only turn out one big name athlete. If you read through DB’s book a couple of times it isn’t to difficult to understand. It is also a huge help that DB is so willing to answer any questions that readers of his book have.

Xtreme trainer those are some awesome results! Have your guys been incorporating any of his speed and power work or just focusing on the strength aspects?

I put this up and I figured those following this thread might like to check it out. DB Hammer and Jay Schroeder

Disclaimer: the following remarks are not intended to cause personal offence.

I have been following this thread with great interest. I would like to remark, however, that prior to this thread I had never, ever heard of Dietrich Buchenholz, or his “elite training camp” in Hamburg. (I live in the Netherlands; I do not claim encyclopedic knowledge of German sports coaches by any means, but I do peruse their literature, and train and compete there on occasion). A quick Google search reveals that no Dutch, Belgian, Austrian or German websites mention his name in any context whatsoever. In fact, the only websites that reference “Dietrich Buchenholz” are American (Elite Fitness, CB.com, Yahoo Supertraining, and his own Inno-Sport.net).

His articles are interesting, the claims he makes are intriguing, but (hat tip to Colin J) his writing style is a cross between Pavel Tsatsouline and a generic Testosterone.net writer. In other words, he sounds pretty American. While the prospect of making training gains of the magnitude DB claims is most enticing, I must confess to a certain scepticism as to the authenticity of Dietrich Buchenholz. By this I do not mean that I doubt he exists: the website Inno-Sport is real, as is the strength-training background of the author of the articles there. But I have no way of confirming his purported background.

Is there anyone who can provide pointers to extra information about Mr. Buchenholz. such as the location of his Hamburg training centre, or names of German athletes he has trained (enabling me to confirm by asking them, for instance)?

I realise that this is a little ad hominem: ideally the personal details of a coach should have no bearing on the validity of his ideas, and if I am unfairly maligning Mr. Buchenholz, then I apologize immediately and without reservation.

– Update: a whois check on the domain www.inno-sport.net shows that it is registered to Proxy Inc. (GoDaddy.com), a provider of anonymous domains.

I am always extremely dubious about endorsements from a member who has put up exactly one post- and slams a direct competitor to Hammer at the same time. I qualify this post as an AD - plain and simple!
Snelkracht has a legitimate point. Who are these amazing athletes? Where are they? And, most importantly, what have they done in any sport? Where are the athletes who hold their top speed for “over 8 seconds”? Do you think such results would go unreported in sports-crazy Germany?
I see and hear this stuff all the time, and, frankly, it grows tiresome, but, as Gerrard Mach used to say, you can judge any coach in 5 minutes. Who are their athletes and what have they done?

As a European I have too never heard of Dietrich either. Despite the fact that my coach has studied with the Germans over the years (1980s+) he too has never heard of him?

For a European his knowledge of US sport is outstanding (baseball, football, hockey) which I do find quite surprising.

Most of the material that he has written is filled with emotive language and terminology (guru language) that doesn’t exist in the ‘real world;’ in that respect I would agree with the comments made by CT.

Indeed. My gut feeling is that “Dietrich Buchenholz” is a rather elaborate fraud. I hasten to add that I have no proof of this. Readers Kelly B and Todd Hamer say that they have corresponded with “Buchenholz” and apparently his advice has led to some impressive strength gains, so I hesitate to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Nevertheless there is a remarkable lack of substance to the persona of “Dietrich Buchenholz”, and I think I will refrain from purchasing his book until more reliable details are available.

Even having as stated been in touch with Dietrich Buchenholz via email over the last couple of years,I agree with the points You brought up…
Only thing I can add: along with Colleagues in Italy,reading DB’s book we still miss some individual facts,such as athletes’ names,which by themselves represent a whole story,and many times the details of how a coach copes with individual realities and situations tells more than a thousand theories!

Problem of real world identity comes here afloat,but is it legitimate to base judgement exclusively on such a matter?
The book itself could be worth buying anyway,in the internet market jungle,at least as a thought provoking item in itself,and again some interesting points to investigate further.

I seem to remember the town of Grande, in the Hamburg city area,was mentioned in some writing.

The two athletes I am referring to both tested out as being neuro magnitude dominant, thus we did mainly strength work during the last micro cycle (ISO) and (OI) work. We began our second micro cycle yesterday and we are incorporating neuro duration (PIM) in the 0-9 and 9-25 sec ranges, and neuro magnitude work (PIM) and (FDA) in seperate workouts. The system is easy, just find your athletes weaknesses and train accordingly - anybody can do that, it is not rocket science.

To all of the strength coaches who disagree with what Dietrich does. How do you manage your volume - what system do you use to train each athlete individually - to what drop off point do you train each athlete before you know enough is enough. What are some of your guidelines? Do you really disagree with him or do you just not understand what it is he does?