Dietrich Buchenholz aka DB Hammer

I ordered his book. I figure it’s better to give it a go now than when it’s more expensive later and that I’ll never know unless I try. I’ll be sure to post a review when I get it.

Similar training concepts to Jay Schroeder although applied slightly differently
anyway I am hearing of some amazing strength gains with his concepts

Maybe its the German to English thing, but he has the same “cryptic” problem as Schroeder :frowning:

Charlie,
thanks for always insightful answer.
Actually YOUR approach to training in its ever unfolding process has really challenged-and changed- my own reasoning and “system” in depth.
Hammer has helped,and stimulated so far in His antagonist role.
As youngsters we still have to learn the hard way through everyday real life with our Athletes of our own times…

Thank you again!

pakewi

Where do you hear this?

Where can i read more about him other then supertraining and his website?

www.elitefts.com has some articles posted but no end-user reports.

I’ve been following him ever since he started writing on elitefts and have read his book now multiple times. I have a good 20 pages of notes just from his articles and posts that cover all the basics. His system is really quite simple and easy to implement once you get past the terminology and such. In a nutshell he bases everything on prioritizing deficits in both the nervous system and muscular system. Nervous system through analyzing and correcting speed and length of neural impulse signaling, and structural through analyzing and correcting muscular vs elastic strength and optimizing static-spring harmony. He has a bunch of tests he uses that involve analyzing speed and various forms of analyzing strength deficits and RFD.

He’s always been very helpful and gives a lot of his time via email to everyone I know who’s ever contacted him. His personality irritated a lot of people on the supertraining group but he did contribute lots of quality information. I’d encourage anyone to read through the supertraining archives starting from around mid-July. The Todd E. Hamer project was definitely fun to watch unfold and the end results were even more impressive.

DB also stated that he started posting and writing articles because he used to consult for free because he wanted nothing more than to raise up the quality of global training practices. Apparently this allowed some self serving individuals in America to plagarize his work and make a buck on the content he had taught them. I’m writing my own perspective on this right now which I’ll probably post here in a few days but most who read his book will be able to do the math.

Did he get kicked off the ST list?

I am guessing who these Amercians are he speaks of :slight_smile:

do you recomend the purchase of his book?
is it more specific in its aplications than his articles?
and what topics does he cover?

thanks

Would he happen to live in the west? Near California maybe…

No Colin I dont think he got kicked off the ST list but he did get warned. He left after the Todd Hamer project started.

The book does go into more detail then his articles. For one it lists all his numerous abbreviations and methods of exercise (RFI, OI) etc. and how to implement and regulate each one. It goes into some detail on every aspect of his system and then also comes with a 10 week speed training program and 10 week upper and lower body strength training programs.

Does he do any regular reps? I guess these are called PIM, why use a new name for this!?

Something about his writing style makes simple things sound 10 times more complicated! I hope his book isn’t like that…

Kelly (Baggett by any chance?)

Did you find a great deal of commonalities with what is presented by Zatsiorsky in Science and Practice and methods of Jay Schroeder (what I know of his training methods from articles and video, anyway)? I don’t think DB would admit such a thing, but after re-reading S & P some light bulbs went off.

I’ve read his book a couple of times and as stated in another post the hardest part was understanding DB’s use of his own terminology. It was much easier to understand and apply the second time through. The example programs also help understanding arrangement and programming.

I would also agree that he is most helpful to all via email and is answering quite a few questions on his site that helps clarify his methodics.

The good thing I see in the book is that is stimulates thought as to how you’re applying methodics on an individualized level based on needs of the athlete and managing fatigue rather than just creating it.

Bill Hartman

Hi Bill,

I have never had a chance to delve fully into Zatsiorsky’s book so I really can’t say. I borrowed it (Science and Practice) briefly from a friend and read through a few sections but that’s about it so I really can’t make a comparison. The sections I do recall involved determining various strength deficits and that’s actually what originally jumped out at me with DB’s writings.

However, I have read through supertraining multiple times and have long wondered how to best apply, organize, and arrange some of the various training methods in there like Isometrics, various shock methods, static-dynamic work etc.

When I first saw some of the highlights of Schroeders program a couple of years ago I thought to myself “man that looks like an answer to a lot of the questions and notes I had from supertraining.”

After 2 years, as far as I know, Schroeder has not really divulged a whole lot more other then a few additional highlights of what he does - by selling his video.

And yeah their does seem to be a lot of similarities with the system taught and revealed by Inno-Sport (DB) and from what little I do know about Evo-Sport (Schroeder).

Maybe Jay is one of those so called Americans DB mentioned… :eek: :wink:

They both harp on about force absorbtion. They both used timed sets, reactive exercise performance style, and they even both like the word “methodics”…

Something so similar but yet slightly different…which came first the Chicken or the egg? :slight_smile:

Anyway I have Science and Practise, and most of the stuff in there is common knowledge now in the strength world, explosive strength deficits etc. S&P doesn’t really delve into isometrics the way Jay and DB use em though.

just read one of DBs articles reffering to RFI (reflexive firing isometrics)

could this be what J Schroeder is doing in pics ive seen on his site/vid clips when he has EMS pads hooked up to hams for Glute/ham raises etc?

using the EMS to maximise the iso contraction, and enhance the relaxation phase when the eletro signal is shut off?

Jay Schroeder is a mythical being, like the Care Bear or Smurf… until I bust out my maxed out credit card.

DB Hammer is on the side of free loaders and presents lots of free info :cool:

That’s all I can see :eek:

EvoSport…InnoSport…heh

Ok, I just got S&P and haven’t seen much referring to all this OI, RFI, AREG, etc. type stuff.

He says on his site you can find more info by searching around. The only places I’ve found are 2 articles on elitefts and the project on the ST list. Is there anything else?

What I don’t get about all of his stuff is that he says it’s not just for elite athletes, but he never talks about building a base level of strength with any normal means or hypertrophy in any remotely normal way.

All of his samples are so cryptic just like that Schroeder rugby program.

I have access to the Soviet Sports Review, but can’t find anything related to these kind of things. It’s all stuff about training kids in gymnastics, physical education, and some track stuff.

Jay Schroeder is a mythical being, like the Care Bear…

I used to be a huge care bear fan myself. I reccomend the movie

dr.sprint

The comparisons I was making in relating it to S&P was not direct use of terminology (OI, RFI, AREG are strictly DB’s territory) but rather the way DB has created his own terminology for “common” concepts such as recovery (DB’s rule of thirds is very comparable to the two-factor theory, see S&P, pg. 15-16), optimizing static-spring (muscles and tendons as springs in series, see S&P pg 46-48), interval rate (rate coding, S&P pg 78), targeting neuro-duration (strength), neuro-rate (velocity), or neuro-magnitude (power). Obviously Supertraining also presents many of these concepts as well.

What I see as novel is simply in the application just as with Schroeder’s programming (again what little is available).

Bill

maybe im missing something, but it seems as though things are just being over complicated, because arent methods like that covered with isometrics, “plyometrics”(i think of this including any move with a fast stretch, ie on DE upper letting the bar fall fast then reversing it), etc…