Week 4 (1/12/03): 85% of ORM for 3 sets of 4 reps
Week 5 (8/12/03): 90% of ORM for 3 sets of 3 reps
Week 6 (15/11/03): 95% of ORM for 2 sets of 2 reps
Week 7 (22/11/03): Test for 1 set of 1 rep

1. Barbell shrugs 4 sets 10 reps
  2. Split jumps with dumbells 4 sets for 20 reps
  3. Calf Raises 2 sets 5 reps - heavy

Deadlift Workout:

1. Squat (light/fast) 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps (pyramid up with weight)

2. Deadlift Week 1: 60% of ORM for 3 sets of 8 reps
    Week 2: 65% of ORM for 3 sets of 6 reps
    Week 3: 70% of ORM for 3 sets of 5 reps
    Week 4: 75% of ORM for 3 sets of 4 reps
    Week 5: 80% of ORM for 3 sets of 3 reps
    Week 6: 85% of ORM for 2 sets of 2 reps
    Week 7: Test for 1 set of 1 rep

3. Good mornings 4 sets for 10 reps

4. Bent over rows 4 sets 10, 8, 6, 6 reps

5. Pulldowns in front 3 sets 8 reps

6. RDL 3 sets 8 reps

Because I am top heavy, I will not push too much weight on the flat bench, on the incline I will go heavy because that part of the muscle is used for sprinting.

Bench Workout (Light chest)

1. Bench Press 3 sets 10 reps 2. Incline Bench Press 3 sets 5 reps 3. Barbell shoulder press 3 sets 8 reps (Behind neck) 4. Side lateral raises 3 sets 8 reps 5. Nose breakers 4 sets 8 reps 6. dips 4 sets 15 reps

I have taken most of it from David Knowles article and modifide it so that it meets my needs.

If anyone can modify it further please do. My weaknesses are lower back, hamstrings and core. My strengths are quads and upper body. I will be sprinting on Tue and Thurs, resting on Saturday and Sunday. The deadlift workout will be done on Friday.

I will add core work later.

Add your core strength stuff NOW!!
Swiss Ball Swiss Ball Swiss Ball!!!
It will improve every part of your training (Gym and running)

LOL, thanks dirty, I meant I am working on a plan for my core now. I should have it done by Monday. I need criticism of the above…

oly lifts…? and i’d put the bench day between the squat and deadlift day to allow for more recovery…

I thought oly lifts are used for power only? How shall I combine it in the program?

Ok, IMO thats not a strength program, thats for hypertrophy. Also, moves like side laterals are useless for strength. And moves such as upright rows and behind the neck OH pressing are hell on your rotator cuff

heres my opinion of a strength routine

Squat, Squat workout:
Week 1+2 : 80% of 1RM for 3 sets of 5 reps
Week 3+4 : 90% of 1RM for 3 sets of 3 reps
Week 5: 95% of 1RM for 2 sets of 2 reps
Week 6 : 1RM of 102.5% max or whatever coach/partner believes you can handle

1. Good mornings/Stiff leg deads 3 sets for 5 reps
  2. Calf Raises 2 sets 5 reps - heavy

Bench Workout (Light chest)

1. Bench Press
    Week 1+2 : 80% of 1RM for 3 sets of 5 reps
    Week 3+4 : 90% of 1RM for 3 sets of 3 reps
    Week 5: 95% of 1RM for 2 sets of 2 reps
    Week 6 : 1RM of 102.5% max or whatever coach/partner believes you can handle
  2. dips 4 sets 15 reps
  3. jerks/push press 3x3

Deadlift Workout:

1. Deadlift
    Week 1+2: 80% of ORM for 5 sets of 1 reps
    Week 3+4: 90% of ORM for 3 sets of 1 reps
    Week 5: 95% of ORM for 2 sets of 1 reps
    Week 6: 100+% of ORM for 1 sets of 1 reps

2. cleans/snatch 4 sets of progressively heavier singles

3. weighted pullups/chins 3x5

When your doing a strength routine you shouldnt grow much so thats no reason not to go heavy on the upper body moves

Thanks help. Is it not too early for performing single lifts? How would I change this routine after 6weeks?

If you want to change it but keep it still focussed on strength and improvement of your weakness’s(posterior chain etc) then just swap the excercises for a fairly similar one

ie do cleans for 6 weeks, then snatches for 6
SLDL’s for 6, GM’s for 6
maybe even do dumbell bench instead of barbell bench

That’s what I thought. I will place dumbell work in my next cycle. How would things look different for a power program? As fas as I know, it will include oly lifts, low reps and a high number of sets? Correct me if I’m wrong but is that known as low volume, high intensity?

:smiley: :smiley:

Leave your swiss ball to your gran…

Hassan: I have to say, I don’t like your program at all.

• Pyramiding by increasing itensity and decreasing volume is at best inefficient. There is insufficient volume later to support the gains made earlier.

• I would drop the following: Bent over rows, Barbell shrugs, Split jumps with dumbells, Calf Raises

• If your form permits, substitute deads/good mornings with cleans

• One pressing exercise is sufficient (Bench, incline or military)

• Absolute itensity must be >75%. Do the following test with each exercise: Load 75% onto the bar and lift to failure. Subtract two and that is the HIGHEST number you should use on that exercise. (<5’s for pulling exercises from the floor)

• Add hypers or GHRs

I could go on…

David, I was hoping that you would give some advice. Please go on. So your saying that there is no point doing flat bench and incline bench?

Not at all. Just that one pressing exercise per session is sufficient.

Let me illustrate one problem with your squat workouts.

W1 Total volume = 24 reps
W2 TV = 18 reps
W3 TV = 15 reps
W4 TV = 12 reps
W5 TV = 9 reps
W6 TV = 4 reps

There is a volume threshold that must be breached to stimulate/support strength gains. If you really want to pyramid in this fashion (I wouldn’t!) at least increase the number of sets as repetitions decrease (e.g. 4x5r; 5x3r, 6x2r).

In terms of exercises, I would simply do squat, bench, cleans and hypers each session. You DO need to change the stimulus fairly frequently (particularly as training age increases) but you need not change exercises. Instead manipulate volume or intensity. I have a very basic program I could mail you (it’s in excel form…)

Sorry this is hurried, the wife is waiting!!!..

No worries, if you could mail me at hali99@hotmail.com, I would appreciate it. I have changed the program.

Squat -Week 1- Moderate loading 80% of 1RM 3sets of 5reps
Week 2- Average loading 88% of 1RM 4sets of 4 reps
Week 3- High Loading 92% of 1RM 5sets of 3reps
Week 4- Average loading 88%% of 1RM 4sets of 4reps
Week 5- High loading 92% of 1RM 6sets of 3reps
Week 6- Super loading 95-100% of 1RM 1set of 1 rep

I will have to good mornings as I can not do reverse hypers at home.

The same is for bench and deadlift.

isnt the point of periodisation routines to take u beyond your 100%? eg there is no point doing a periodisation routine that stops at 95%, surely and surely not 85%.

David W what is the volume threshold? I take it you are not a fan of Tsatsouline, in this area at least?

Seems like I’ve said this ten times this week but let me try one more time:

My philosophy, which is outlined in my ‘Buffering’ article, is that you should never lift at a RELATIVE intensity of >95% unless you are testing a maximum. For athletes who typically train with 3’s or 5’s ABSOLUTE intensity (i.e. %1RM) will NEVER exceed 90% (Even when testing maximum!)

As an example, lets assume that an individual has a 5RM of 170k and a 1RM of 200k

Applying the MINIMUM buffer (i.e. 5%):

95% of 170 = 161.5k = 80.75% of 1RM

Since the lower threshold for training strength is 75%, the RANGE of available intensities available to design a ‘periodized’ program with 5 reps is only 5.75%!!

No it is safe to say i’m not a Tsatsouline fan!

David, is my new plan ok?

Week 1- Moderate loading 80% of 1RM 3sets of 5reps
Week 2- Average loading 88% of 1RM 4sets of 4 reps
Week 3- High Loading 92% of 1RM 5sets of 3reps
Week 4- Average loading 88%% of 1RM 4sets of 4reps
Week 5- High loading 92% of 1RM 6sets of 3reps
Week 6- Super loading 95-100% of 1RM 1set of 1 rep

No!!

You are lifting at RELATIVE maximum EVERY session!! What are your 3 & 4RMs? My guess is 92 & 88%!!

Do you understand? You must employ a buffer between your training load and repetition maximum. See above post for example.

This buffer thing has got me feeling like I am doing ‘a’ level chemistry again. I think I will read your article.I got your mail. Thanks. I will study that to.

Ok David, almost there, the example given on your email is 5rm = 100k, training load = 90k, buffer = 100 - 90 = 10k(10%).

What I want to know is why did you chose 5rm? Could it have been 6rm or 2 rm?