Critique my start form

please let me know what you think, sorry it’s just 3 photo’s but the camera keeled over before it took anymore, and the continuous shot isn’t fast enough for the speed of the movements.

Hard to tell if you’re doing anything wrong from just 3 pics, but I can tell that you’re way too close to the line. For the front block set it 2 foot lengths away from line and for the back 3 lengths. Further adjustments can be made to that if necessary, that is just a starting point. Video would be needed to accurately critique form.

Yes, very cramped. Agree with Prophet on everything. There’s a lot of info on starts in this forum. Have you done a search? It could be a great place to start.

Agree with all of the above, plus if the feet were further back and shoulders slightly further forward in SET then this would allow the back to be straighter. You can see the back is quite bent in each of the pics.

Need a little more space between the line and the front foot. The spacing between blocks is prob Ok.

Difficult to give opinions with just 3 pictures, especially since they are missing some “key” moments.

I agree with Charlie with the fact that front foot is maybe too close to the line. For me ther’s 2 solutions:

• more space between line and front foot
  • smaller knee angle in the leading leg on the blocks, so that the hips are lower, and the push-off angle is better to use your strength potential. This is obvious for me looking at the position of this right leg in the 3rd picture. Also, i don’t think the push of your left leg is enough, it seems that you use mainly the front leg to push on the blocks, and the left leg isn’t active enough.

The bad…

Your body needs to be a little lower. You should be coming out of the blocks @ 45 deg. Moving your front block might help this. Your arms need to be more agressive at the shoulder. This might sound nit picky but… You look like your sticking your neck out. Try to keep your whole spine in a straight line actually keep your whole body in a straight line from your neck down

The good…

Your foot strike is in the right place. Which is pretty important. Your technique should be easy to improve.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that’s more true if you’re expecting to run a 9.9 100. :stuck_out_tongue:

The start angle should be determined by the amount of acceleration you can generate- not by a preconceived idea of how it should look, compared to others.

True. He might not be able to break 10 but he’ll look good running high 11s :slight_smile:

Trying to force yourself to do anything that the body can’t handle will make you slower and increase risk of injury(or falling flat on your face, how good will he look then :smiley: ).

:confused:

Why tell people to train for mediocrity? Is it wrong to tell someone the correct way to do something? So he may not be able to come out of the block strong now but, he can keep the thought in the back of his mind so when his strength gets better, he can at least have the form to go with it. Also can you honestly say that you have never told a sprinter to “not stand straight up” or “come out of the blocks a little lower” regardless of how strong the guy was?

If you were to hold a 1 day clinic and this particular runner asked for your opinion on his start, What recommendations would you make?

Depends on what I saw. I can tell you what I wouldn’t say, and that is that the athlete should attempt to copy a model that he doesn’t have the strength to emulate.
In every case, it is important to develope the forces necessary for success FIRST, rather than to suffer “paralysis by analysis” attempting to “learn” a start- only to have to “unlearn it” later, when strength is available, before doing it right.
We are in the process of finishing up a video on the GPP which will have a series of examples of how the start can be perfected away from the blocks- stay tuned for its release next week!

Yohoo!!! Cant wait video. Will there be any members from here? :smiley:

Damn this is a touchy subject. I am new coach (just got the level 1 from usatf) so I’m still learning. Question: Would you let a new sprinter get in the blocks during the GPP or stick to med ball accel first?

I am going to get so ragged on when I post my start video :stuck_out_tongue:

I would leave the blocks out of the GPP for beginners (or even intermediate level) There are so many other ways to attack the issues more effectively.

Telling someone to come out of the blocks a little lower and coming out of the blocks at a 45degree angle are 2 completely different things.

From what I saw in the three pics, you could drive your arm more, keep your toe up when it strikes the track, it’s pointed down and it’s breaking your stride. You could also lower your hips just a tad so your front leg is at 90 degrees and the back is 120.

You would be amazed what back angle can do for power out of the blocks. You almost feel coiled, ready to spring and the whole pos chain is “loaded”.

It is a big difference. Almost like doing a powerclean with a bent back versus proper form. (I wouldn’t recommend you try that analogy though hehe) :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks guys really you’ve all helped me stacks, I am going to training today, and I’ll get a video of my start and hopefully my 100 before the camera bonks out, and I’ll throuw it up tonight.

Cheers, and thanks for all the help.

As for the body angle, or starting lower, I think I did that at the meet last thursday, but because the surface was ashphalt the spikes didn’t go in and I slipped, still pulled a 12.08 to qualify for the final heat.

Thanks guys

Alex