Critique my form please

Yeah the blurriness is my fault (crappy cam, and the distance). You might be right about the landing, but the quality can’t really determine much I guess huh.

Let me try to take some videos tomorrow from a closer distance, and hopefully the quality allows for a good critique !

Okay, following boldwarrior’s suggestions, I took a few videos of my start (no blocks, yes spikes), some 20m sprints, and some 30m sprints (all at the very last segment of the sprint)

I took careful notice of my arm swing and running ‘toe-y’, and tried to keep those in mind when I ran today

I noticed the following faults in my videos:

i) My start:
I rise too quickly(although I was not using starting blocks)
I don’t achieve full extension (i think?)
I rebend at the knees a little

ii) My acceleration/Max V
My elbows aren’t perfectly 90 degrees
I seem tense
My head is up and back
I may not be achieving full extension

I’ll upload the videos in slow mo either later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Keep those comments in mind when you watch my videos though.

Edit: Video is here! Sorry about the text in the center…hopefully it’s not too much of an obstacle.

//youtu.be/dwMS5bbDwc8

And if the video doesn’t play, it’s still processing to the server. And if it won’t play in the embedded player, click on it twice to open it up on youtube and it should play

Thanks

…bump… ^

No need to bump. it says still processing.

I think you should all-in-all revert back to what Charlie says. Less is more and stop thinking. All of this worry at this point is a bit unnecessary. I understand the feelings of worrying about every little technical point, but it is unlikely to be a productive endeavor at this point if you just started back and are not in shape.

The video plays for me, but not in the embedded player yet. Double click on it to open it up in youtube and it should play

Well anyways, it’s not like I’m going to stop training because of some technical faults. I always like to know where I’m making mistakes, so I can fix them. Trust me when I say I’m not stressed out about this. My form will get better, but only if I know what’s wrong first of all.

It is not processed. That’s the message. You having it in your cache and being the person who uploaded it is going to change things.

You missed the point. At least some technical faults are likely from simply not running as much and being out of shape. Changing them at this point is not going to be productive and possibly counter-productive if they induce bad habits of their own. I mean, stuff like that arm movement… You don’t need video analysis to work on that.

Gotcha, it’ll probably be processed sooner than later heh

Anyways thanks, hopefully my form improves as I get back into it.

alrighty, I have the video up and running a few posts up! Sorry about the crappy quality once again, but hopefully it’s clear enough to get a good look. I spliced together 6 different clips…2 starts, 2 20m, 2 30m (filmed at the final meters)

Dorsi flex = Your toes point Towards your Knee - you do this just before Foot strike so your foot lands Under your center of gravity and therefore you have less ground contact time. Your doing the exact Opposite

Your knee should be getting somewhat higher. Basically it should be at 90deg to your body - not parallel to the ground though - unless your completely upright. Doing the strength drills at the end of a session will help with this, as said in the Spp seminars. Severe lack of height like your showing = shortened stride length = slower.

IN the start - your head is actually Hidden its that far down. You want a nice straight line from your head, across your spine, into your hips, into your knee and finally into your foot. Your tightening up your shoulders and upper back with your head down like that. Not good

Your popping up out of the start, your almost Upright from the go. If you do the GPP correctly, you’ll fix that.

Your not getting Any hip height - that will come After you fix your form, do a proper Gpp, loosen up tight muscles and develop some nice power and strength. It will come, but not running like that :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, the video is a vast improvement, but it never was up until now. For some reason there are words in the middle of it?

If i were you, i would do the Gpp, work on Flexibility and get some Foam rolling done on them Hips, legs and back. Gpp rules. Fix them arms duriing Gpp should be easy enough. Learn to Dorsi flex them feet. In 7wks time, you’ll be a new man.

Wowowow, now THAT’s what I’m talking about :slight_smile: Thanks for really taking a good look at my form man!

I feel like if I dorsiflex I’ll land on my heels, but maybe I just need to give it a shot and it’ll be just fine.

Can you explain the strength drills that you mentioned? I’d like to try those out

PS I used a freeware video editor to slow down the video, and it put those words in the middle of the video because I didn’t buy the full program. Looks like it didn’t stop you from tearing me apart tho :slight_smile:

The strength drills are just basically High knees done at walking pace. But ya got to do em right. Form form form

Do you have any of Charlie’s products?

Just the CFTS

Vital products - Do some overtime, get a 2nd job, buy cheaper food, sell something you dont use much on ebay, borrow from ya mum n dad or somebody - do whatever it takes until you have these, they are vital. Forget doing anything else until you have them.

get Bundle # 2, 3 + 5
Thats about $150 u.s.

Without these, your holding yourself back YEARS or maybe forever. they are not worth just $150, they are invaluable.

p.s. i dont work for cf.com

Let me second that. I have everything, and I learn something new every time I watch a video over again. There is so much to absorb.

Seriously, if you are going to put the time in to do this, do it properly. Spend the money, it’s a bargain.

Just an update:

I’ve been making steady improvements in my form. I can tell by video analysis, plus feel, that my arm swing is much much better. Also, I seem to have corrected my backwards lean(which I must have been doing to try to run tall, but didn’t realize it just made me look like a retard), my head stays down, and when I start my head is roughly in line with my spine.

I think back when I injured my ankle or hamstring, I picked up a bad movement pattern and it stuck. The biggest change that seems to have the biggest impact so far is the correction of the backwards lean. It feels normal to dorsiflex now, whereas earlier in this thread I noted how unnatural it felt.

It’s all coming together…

Feel is very misleading, when I feel fast I’m running slow, when I feel slow I’m running fast.

lol that’s weird, but since I’m going by video and feel together I’m not really worried

You should try to always have your head in line with the spine. There really isn’t any benefit to having it down except for maybe (questionable) very early acceleration from a low position.

Yea oops, I didn’t mean down, but precisely what you said. After a few more sessions I’ll post an updated video, hopefully showing an improvement to the experts here lol

By the way, I have trouble staying low when I do my starts. Any tips?