Consecutive Speed Sessions

I was talking with a couple of soccer players and they mentioned that they were doing speed work (along with their normal soccer practice) virtually every day of the week.

For example, everyday before their practice (or a weight session) they would warm-up and then do a short session of something like 6 x 30m accelerations plus a few jumps. They said they never have problems with DOMS in their legs except with the occasional heavy squat session.

Do you think this is another possible way to train for non-sprinters (other sports where top speed/speed end are not really a part of training)? Very frequent workouts with very low volume.

At first I saw their training schedule and I thought it was crazy, but it seems to have worked for them and they don’t have problems with overtraining or not enough recovery. It seems that also this way they are able to do a little speed training each day and follow that up with their regular soccer practice - if they were to do 2 or 3 full volume sprint sessions per week, then the days in between they might be too sore to do their regular soccer work?

After all, with soccer (and a lot of other team sports) there is probably more importance placed on game specific speed/agility which can only really be practiced in a game situation and this method allows them to work on this without being tired from high volume linear speed work.

Just a little food for thought, hope to get your opinions.

Not only is that low volume but im sure they’re doing it in cleats with partial recvoery which im sure makes the intensity even lower as well. There body has adapted to this by now im sure.

Their coach has them rest 1 minute per 10 metres sprinted, so I guess that is pretty much full recovery for their level of speed, although they do train on grass in cleats (same place I train).

i see. definatly though the sprints being done on grass in cleats are not as taxing as if they were being done on the track with spikes on out of blocks. Even still 6x30 is a low volume as far as total volume goes and as far as duration of repitions are concerned.