Concentric V Reactive Strength

I’ve been doing stuff like step ups lately and some isometrics. The step ups are working my concentric strength quite well. In concentric strength we’re recruting high number of units per contraction which is one way of looking at power. Though eccentric contractions seem to biuld the fast twitch fibres well and develope the ability to store energy, the reactive strength using the stored energy and releasing it efficiantly, which again, is of vital importance to sprinting. :slight_smile:
3 questions;

1. Am I compromising reactive strength by not using normal methods but instead using long hold isometrics, and concentric /eccentric step ups that don’t utilize the stored energy (becuase once you’ve put yer foot on the groung and re-set yourself you’ve lost allmost all the previously stored energy). :frowning:
  2. Is reactive strength more important to sprinting speed (5-100 meters) than starting strength/concentric power? :confused: (Of course starting strength most important pushing out of the blocks.)
  3. Do normal lifting methods/ e.g 2 secs down - 0-1 sec at bottom - x secs upwards develope MORE concentric strength or LESS concentric strength than “break the chain” type lifting?(e.g 2 secs down - rest on box for 5 secs OR re-set position such as with step ups/ dead lifts etc.) :frowning:
    Answers to any of above appreciated.
  1. You may be compromising reactive strength, but you can’t catch two rabbits at once, right? Your goal of the isometrics should be to see improvement and if you begin reactive strength again and you can improve given your past isometric work, then your training is successful.
  2. You’ve answered your own question. Starting-strength/concentric strength is important out of the blocks. Reactive strength/power is important in the sprint. Don’t think of these skills as separate skills, think of them as the integration of your strength training into your sprint. Of course like has been said many times, there’s nothing that can compare with reactive strength in sprinting.
  3. This depends on the type of concentric strength you’re trying to develop. Concentric-only strength development is just that: being able to lift more weight with no elastic energy. This has benefits but the goal should not be to compare elastic-concentric energy with non-elastic-concentric energy, the goal should be to find out how using these strengths in training will help you to your ultimate goal. If the goal of your concentric strength training is to push more weight up, then of course you’re going to require elastic energy.

You’ve said it yourself in another post, re-address the method!!

why would you take reactive strength out in the first place?

I wouldn’t. My point was that if you stop reactive-strength work and then begin it again and your abilities improve, then the isometric and concentric strength work has improve your abilities.

ok, i see, sorry; you mean as a “reference” point… :o