Clyde Hart on Training for the 400m

Ok, thanks, Atlethicscoach and Charlie.

This is where I am at when trying to connect the 100m swim and the 400m run- or any swim distance/intensity with comparable run distances/intensities:

• 25% distance equivalent does not fit in the real world: I generally find
    50% more appropriate (think of the 100m on the track as the 50m in the
    pool)

• high intensity lower limit as defined by Charlie (95% best time for a given
    distance) might be upped to somewhere around 97,5% for swimming.*

• low intensity upper limit as defined by Charlie (75% best time) might be
    upped somewhat in swimming,especially if considering using >50m reps.*

• duration of given exercise bout on the track might be doubled in swimming

• rest intervals between reps might be cut by 50% in swimming,while
    maintaining the ones in between sets.

• overall prescribed volumes (all the above already taken into account) might
    be increased by 1/3.

*To account for the less intense nature of swimming when compared to sprinting.

All the above are just very practical observations,which take into account apparent CNS and muscular impact, recovery times needed,repeatability of performances and progressions vs. failed positive adaptations I personally experienced with a number of swimmers in the last few years of trying to adapt the CFTS to sprint swimming.

Thoughts?

What kind of training can I start with a High School freshman, who plays every sport, so training time can be tricky. Personally, I think he should focus on track, but he’s not ready to make that level of commitment. Are these training models too advanced for a 15 year old? I think he has a chance to make the state meet as a freshman, and training time is limited so we need to be very selective to get the best bang for the buck, so-to-speak. Can you guys give me some examples. Right now he still spends at least 6 hours a week in the weight room, some of that time could be converted to track time, plus we could probably squeek out a little more time everyday other then Tuesdays and Fridays, as these are game days right now in Basketball season.

Does he sleep in the weight room? What’s the point, 6 hours? Tell me what he does now, I could give you something that accomplishes just as much in less than 2.

Well, right now he’s pretty much doing a body part type workout, trying to put on size. He has a leg day shoulder day back day and chest day, he does start every workout with a compoun lift like squats or deadlift, clean and jerk, power cleans, and so on. He has made tremendous progress. Like I said, he is ready to start spending some of that time on the track. Today in fact, his game didn’t start untill 7:00pm, so he went to the track and after warming up, he ran 4-200s resting 5min. in between. For a warmup he did the 1 mile in and outs as prescribed in the article at the beginning of this thread.

By the way, as far as supplements, I let him us Bio-test, Grow, Surge, and ZMA. He has a very good diet, better than just about any High School kid I’ve ever known.

Is there anyway I could get the model number as well please - would come in very handy :slight_smile:

There’s a new(at least I think it is) four part article on Clyde Hart’s views on training at www.sprintic.com/training/clyde_hart_coaching_part_1/

Some things in this article I had not seen in print before and it does not seem to be merely a re-printing of one of his old articles. There are some other articles there related to sprinting and hurdling including one by Tom Green.

I somewhat agree with his first point, I dont see much need in timing every single sprint in workouts during the fall, its time to train and not worry times.

1: Clyde is very clear that ‘training’ is just that – it is where you get fitter, not where you prove yourself. "We race when they fire the gun, we train to train.”

Interesting point, 20mins must be nice!
The longest workout we have ever done - not counting warm up and warm down - would be under 20min, I think we have never worked more than 20min. That’s not counting the Fall phase.”

In conclusion Clyde told us: “Very little of what I do is scientifically proven - it is based on 40 years experience.”

The athletes do use the gym: “There are certain muscles that need strengthening in the weights room. We feel that abs are key and the upper body is more important than some people seem to think. We do hamstrings and compensate with the quads. There are a lot of pull-ups and dumbbell work, lots of flies, a lot of sit ups with weights.”

I haven’t seen that Clyde Hart article before, thanks Pioneer. Its great. Maybe even the 200m is more aerobic than we all think, hence why MJ managed that 19.32. He had great speed endurance. 0.6 second differential between that first and second 100m in Atlanta. wow.

Hard work + Patience = Results. Forget the rest.

MJ’s formula is different: (Talent + Opportunity) x Hard work = success

:wink:

Great find Pioneer, that e-mag looks very good, certainly has a nice blend of items but the Clyde Hart stuff is the very best by far. I’m going to cut and paste it all long-version into the 400 thread - the “lactate threshold” tome. :smiley:

I find that hard to believe. The “longest workout they’ve ever done”?

Why is that hard to believe?

He is talking about in season not fall training.

Take a look at a standard session the 200’s

In season; 6x200@26 r=2min total time about 13 minutes. Running time=2:36 rest time = 10 min

No problem, Jumper. Someone actually posted it on T&FN forum and I’m just passing it along.

I was just lucky enough to see it posted elsewhere.

I agree, that 4-parter is the best Hart work I’ve seen. It’s not nearly as generic as a few of the other articles and Hart actually goes into detailed descriptions of the various phases and what the goals of certain workouts are.

The underlying philosophy remains the same. Coach Hart evolves the program and adds elements such as plyo’s as he feels comfortable. He understands the progressions and how they work for the right athlete.

Training MJ “like a 4-minute miler” is pure BS though as there is never very much volume.

As noted, all of Hart’s training is very concise. I think that this is down mostly to NCAA time restrictions.

Anyway we all know that for certain athletes, the right ones it works, but for every Jeremy Warner, how many Mark Teter’s are there?

MJ did six mile runs according to his book. :slight_smile:

Edit: My bad 5 miles through Waco, once per week. Then every Friday at 6AM they met for a 3-mile run at Baylor landing. And they even did 1 mile time trials!

I’m pretty sure that the 6-mile runs (done in the a.m.) were added after he left Baylor. In anycase the volumes drop off after the fall and are in no way similar to a what 4 minute miler would do. Additionally the tempos are very slow, 7-minutish.

It didn’t really say but I suspect your right!

Edit: Coach Hart’s fall training program at Baylor was exhausting and complete. Besides shorter races and intervals…5mile runs ect. So I suspect he did do these at Baylor according to the book. You are correct though it was for the fall but according to the book it was in college then in 1990 they set up a new program with more emphasis on weights, strecthing ect. Did he keep the mileage though? Anyone know?