clean grip snatches

I’ve been doing power snatches for awhile now and have done power cleans for years. My snatch has been less than impressive compared to my clean. I’m quite tall and have been told to put my hands as close to the sleeve as possible. I decided to to snatches with a pinky grip and could do like 10 lbs than I could conventionally. Obviously, I am able to exert much more power than with the normal grip (The bar moves farther and more weight. I also feel it’s better for my shoulder. Is there any reason why I should do regular snatches anymore?

BTW check out my post on the first sticky "Are cleans the exercise to do?’

do u mean snatches are easier to do with a wide grip vs a close grip so why should u do a close grip? (im not sure if thats what u mean) but snatches are supposed to be done with a wide grip so that your shoulders are more out instead of up when the bar goes above your head…personally id stick with snatch-grip (or wide-grip) snatches…i cant think of any advantages as to why u would want a closer grip

No, I can snatch more with a shoulder width grip than a wide grip. I’ve also heard that snatches can be bad for you labrum/rotator cuff, so I am wondering is there any reason for me to use the regular grip?

Clean grip snatch= excessive shoulder rotation, requires bar to be pulled higher in order to be secured overhead, stronger mechanical position (less stress on shoulders) with bar locked out overhead.

Snatch grip= less shoulder rotation, requires less pull height in order to be secured over head, yet weaker mechanical position (more stress on shoulders) with bar locked out overhead.

All things equal, a clean grip snatch is a LESS efficient method for snatching big weights.

What sport are you training for?

Track (multi’s/400H/800m)and Basketball (next season). I’m currently not going to school now but am starting college in january.

Here’s my current lifting routine
OL
Squat movement
Push Press
Pull-Ups
DB Push Up+Row or Dips and BW Rows
GHR

No you can’t.

end of discussion

Just make sure that you are constructing your program so as to develop that which you can identify as your weaknesses.

Personally, I do not see the benefit of performing snatches relative to the activities which you plan to participate in. If you were going to be competing in any of the throws there would be more of an arguement for you to perform snatches.

Always employ a cost:benefit analysis prior to the utilization of ANY training means or methods.

I am assuming you work the core adequately and just forgot to list that in your outline.

I’d recommend snatches over cleans any day. I find that they are a definite benefit to athletic performance whether you are running, jumping or throwing.

James, have you included snatches in your routine for any lengthy periods of time? I used to hate them too until I started doing them on a regular basis.

This is a very subjective view point. The utilization of any training means must be highly specific to the training goal, all the while realizing that lifting weights is GPP for any athlete other than a OL weightlifter, powerlifter, or strongman.

Additionally, in the absence of proper instruction, snatches are a very risky lift to be performing with respect to cost:benefit

I do not perform snatches in my training, as I train for powerlifting. I do not hate snatches by any means, I do however, feel that they should be reserved for a select few types of athletes.

It is important that coaches and athletes recognize that there are many many means for developing explosive strenth, speed strength, etc, and some are much more safer, and quick to learn by young/inexperienced lifters, than others.

This really comes into play when you strength coach for a team/large group of athletes. When I walk into the weight room at the school where I strength coach, during another coaches weight training class, I cringe at the sight of young boys and girls trying to perform the required cleans with completely horrible technique. Unfortunately, this is a common scene at many high schools, universities and even professional teams weight rooms in the US.

The OL debate, with respect to increasing athletic performance, will always exist. This is incidental; as the true significance is that training goals are realized. And in order to accomplish this goal, we have many training means and methods at our disposal, none any better than the other, only more optimal.

Yes I can. You don’t know me son. Never ever disrespect like that. Maybe it’s because I’m 6’5 and any attempt to get under the bar is futile. So I just need to raise it as high as possible. I also have brutally muscled/strong shoulders so I could probably do it just like an explosive front raise. I didn’t ask for someone to tell me what weights I can and cannot lift.
BW 200
PC 275
SNATCH 175
CG SNATCH 185

elars21, what you will find, as you continue to perfect technique, is that you will be capable of snatching more weight with a snatch grip. The only exception which I could forsee, from a biomechanical standpoint, would be if you possessed some structural abnormality which inhibited ROM or yielded unfavorable leverages with a wide grip, however height does not qualify.

Do a search for Cholokov from Bulgaria. He is about 6’9’’ (I think) and snatches over 200kg. I say this not to compare you to him, but to site an example of a very tall athlete with a huge snatch.