Charlie Francis Speed Seminars in Australia

if you wanna stop and kick every dog who’s barking at you, you will need your whole life to walk 100m…

Nanny, U look better in the blue two piece than U didin the red tee shirt.

JD

charlie i think the uk/ireland maybe the next best area.ill try my best guys…its not about the beauty of a country but its the number of participants that matter to me!!

Damn right.
Now that’s more like it.

Nanny, U look better in the blue two piece than U didin the red tee shirt.

JD

welcome to the site JD i’m sure you will love it.
speak soon.

By MIKE HURST

ATHLETICS Australia has banned coaches on its payroll from attending seminars conducted by controversial sprint coach Charlie Francis but other sports are embracing the chance to attend his Sydney clinic.

Undeterred by his role in the infamous Ben Johnson scandal at the 1988 Seoul Olympics, top strength and conditioning coaches in the professional sports are signing up to hear Francis.

I think the man has done his time. These people are often cast away and there's no redemption,'' the Kangaroos and Sydney Roosters strength and conditioning coach Ron Palmer said. He is the guru, the most knowledgeable speed coach in the world.’’
Francis coached history’s first 9.7sec performer in Ben Johnson, but the Canadian sprinter lost his stunning world record and gold medal (edit) at the Seoul Olympics.

Since then Francis has coached the coaches (in the case of Maurice Greene’s mentor John Smith), written the training program (for Tim Montgomery and his mentor Trevor Graham who now coaches Justin Gatlin) and published the training manual (used by Asafa Powell’s coach Stephen Francis - no relation) for the other four 9.7 sprinters.
He was a pioneer with a lot of the speed development things he would do in training,'' said Dave Misson of AFL premiers, the Sydney Swans. I’ve read his training system and a couple of his books. They’re excellent.’’

Sydney FC’s Anthony Crea, who did such a magnificent job conditioning the Socceroos for this year’s World Cup, told The Daily Telegraph at the end of the day Francis had to teach Ben JOhnson how to run, so I'm 100 pwer cent interested.'' I definitely want to go. It’d be fantastic to listen to him [Francis].’’
The Australian Boomers basketball strength and conditioning coach, Nik Popovic, said he wants to attend the Sydney seminar on January 6-7.
Francis's influence on the five guys who've run 9.7 means he has a wealth of experience to listen to and perhaps tap into,'' said Popovic, who has trained the Sydney Kings for the last seven years including during their historic NBL premiership three-peat. It’s the knowledge of his training I’m interested in.’’
But they may also be interested to know that Francis was employed on a project basis at various times from 1987 to 1995 with the NBA’s Chicago Bulls.
After Francis’s discussions with Chicago fitness expert Al Vermiel, Michael Jordan’s Bulls dumped the drill known as ``suicides’’ and also eliminated additional plyometric (jumps) training.
Francis also holds a fascination for football team conditioners because of his previous project work with six NFL teams including the San Francisco 49ers, Kansas City Chiefs, St Louis Rams, Detroit Lions, Denver Broncos and Dallas Cowboys.

another question:

Am i allowed to record the stuff on DVD? So i make sure that i can get everything, bc i m not a native english speaker, lol :slight_smile:

thats ok, let them miss out!! that will just mean once i start competiting again this coming season, most people should be overtrained that i have to compete against. lol

Hey Bold

the positive feedback i have received outstrips the negative by a country mile…

I have fielded calls from almost every major pro team in australia all dying to listen to what charlie has to say.

If some of the track community miss this opportunity for their own various reasons well it underlines why we are in the mess we are in now.

Nanny

Many others registered from NZ?

Maybe at the next AGM i will put a vote in for Nanny69 to be presedent of AA. That way we can get everybody doing things the way it should be done. ANd pull our sport out of the hole/mess. What do you say? Perhaps we make a Poll on the forum 1st??

got 2 kiwis already trying to get through customs… will tip customs off later in the year just in case some decide to go live in Bondi after the seminars…

:cool:

not Bondi for me, been to Sydney a couple of times, and it doesn’t hold much appeal. 1st time was for a Bledisloe Cup rugby math AB’s thrashed Aus and last year tied it in with State of Origin Game 2 …Hobart was ok :cool: … have only been to Brisy airport on way to GC…which was ok but toursity as expected…haven’t been to Melbourne though and that sounds more like me :stuck_out_tongue:

Is anyone going to create DVD’s for this event (i.e. Vancouver series)?

I’m sure we’ll have a download, we’ve more or less phased DVDs out.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

By the way - are you getting to visit beatutiful Oz too Rupert?
:slight_smile:

Rupert, what happened to the Al Vermeil and Francis seminar, I thought these sessions were taped and there would be a DVD? Getting hold of Vermeil info is very difficult. Thanks.

john

you have a valid point, coming from NZ, melbourne would be best for you, cold and rainy it would be just like home… :smiley:

would you like me to transfer you across… lol

nanny

you never know what may happen one day :stuck_out_tongue: but not in the short - medium term anyway :smiley:

From what I have picked up Aucklanders prefer Sydney and us Mainlanders (South Island) prefer Melbourne.

It doesn’t matter who’s president, the order not to attend comes from the top! Even if Nanny69 was president, the IOC (and others)would apply pressure to the AA president not to have any of their members attend the seminar; otherwise, they would be repremended.

Don’t be surprised to see a few members from AA attend in disguise! Besides if they do attend who’s gonna tell the AA president? :wink:

P.S. That reminds me, how much does a flight cost to go to Australia?