CFTS: GPP, SPP, Comp

Hi all,

I’m really sorry to ask basic questions but I was just wondering…is a similar structure to CFTS (GPP, SPP, Taper, Comp) to be used for all sports but in different quantites and dependent on other factors (athlete in question etc)? Or is this just one example of a periodization model?

Also I have a couple of other questions:

1.What is the actual role of GPP? To raise work capacity and bring about structural changes so specific work in the SPP can be better tolerated? I was wondering how this work actually benefits specific work if adaptations are not specifc to the event? Or is it an indirect effect e.g hypertrophy and tendon strengtherning better prepare the athlete for high intensity work?

1. Does the work done in the GPP continue into the SPP but in maintenance volume?

2. Is the 3/1 schedule used year round and just describe 3 weeks intensification followed by 1 week unload? And does this apply to all aspects whether sprints, med balls, weights?

3. When is the accumulation/intensification microcycle alternating used? And is this just used with weights?

4. With L-S, I take it you start with long distances in the GPP and gradually get shorter into the SPP? If so are gains experienced at the beginning of the GPP (SE) maintained all the way to comp? With S-L when you run the longer distances you are training the short distances before you reach the end distance which is why this confuses me.

Once again, Sorry to ask basic questions…I read up a lot on strength training but I am trying to get a grip on many methods of sports training.

Many thanks for your help,
Rob.

No one? :frowning:

I know these are terrible questions but I was hoping to further my understanding of Charlie’s system.

Also has anyone had any experience of translating the CFTS into other sports for example weightlifting? Are there drastic differences or is the structure the same (GPP, SPP, Comp) but obviously different exercises are used according to the sport and level of athlete?

Thanks guys.

I think a similar structure can be used for other sports. Certainly the principles, albeit with different exercises, are applicable.

The role of the GPP will depend on the level of the athlete, but in general it is to prepare the athlete for the specific work to come in the SPP and Comp phases. Whether this means an athlete needs to build his general fitness, hypertrophy, tendon strength, or other capacities will depend on the athlete.

Some of the work in the GPP can continue into the SPP. Tempo will capacity continue to improve; Jumps and Weights will continue to increase in intensity; Medball throws will often continue, but perhaps in lower doses; long hills sometimes are included on Saturdays; and of course speed work is pervasive in all phases. The key of course is progression.

The 3/1 schedule, I believe, is used year round. The exercises and quantities that are unloaded will depend on the plan and goals of the block.

Not sure on #4.

I think Charlie will state that SE in the GPP is inherently not possible because the level of speed required for the given SE is not developed yet. So the GPP for L-S will be longer than S-L, focusing a lot of tempo as well as hills for speed so as to develop the general fitness and initial acceleration required for the first SE runs that will begin in SPP. Some users also prescribe a period of Intensive Tempo to bridge the gap between GPP and SPP and tempo and SE.

Thoughts?

Option 1 is to restric yourself to run 100m or any competition movement in time and distance in order to be specific.
Option 2 is to gradually prepare and get ready to the competition time and distance. This includes non-specitfic items which develop ancillary abilities as well as compensation tools, and specific work in a modified way (lower intensity with shorter or longer distances) in order to increase work capacity.

All the exercices/items can be maintained but emphasis vary throughout the season.

3/1 means 3 weeks intensification and 1 unload, and you will have visual example with the graphs (vancouver’03?)

I don’t understand your question, can you rephrase it?

With S-L, the longer distances are done at <75% pace (tempo work), while the short distance are sprints, which eventually get longer and are called speed endurance; tempo work is maintained all through and pace remains <75%.

Question number 4 is worthy of it’s own thread.

The first question is what is the training age of the athlete? The second question is what event or sport do they compete in? Answering these two questions will help you define the parameters of accumulation and intensification.

I’m a fan of alternating accumulation and intensification in the weightroom. Keep in mind that on this forum intensification can mean the amount of weight lifted is going up or the running speed increases, regardless if one is in accumulation or intensification in the weightroom. Make sense?

I think you raise an interesting question in terms of balancing the available energy, taking into consideration what’s going on in the weightroom. Yes, the weightroom work is secondary, but you still have to factor in the stress it creates. I think the art of coaching lies in the sequencing of training as much as it involves manipulating volumes and intensities.

How does one use a 3/1 in the comp phase?

Guys,

Thanks for your replies I really appreciate it! It’s helped.

With regards to question 4 I will try to re-phrase. Basically an accumulation phase is one in which intensity is lower in comparison with intensification and a higher overall volume is used. Intensification is the opposite. They are alternated to prevent stagnation.

Thanks everyone.

Not so sure you needs to re-phrase.

-Yes, with accumulation the main stressor is volume and with intensification the main stressor is intensity. The primary reason given for alternating is to give the CNS a break and, to a lesser extent, maintain muscle mass.

-If working with younger athletes, a straight linear model can be used because the output is lower which means they don’t need to alternate. Also, because they’re young and neurologically inefficient they can get a strength training effect out of 8-10 reps.

-As an athlete matures, they can start to alternate but keep in mind something Charlie has said which is they first need to look the part. That tells you more time will be spent in accumulation or hypertrophy type training.

-As they progress through their careers, the average rep used ( Olympic lifts, Core lifts ) will drop which means more intensification type training. Also, they’ve become more efficient which means the 8-10 reps are now accumulation.