Brauman training

Nice facilities :slight_smile:
How close is your gym/weights area?

With the sled…highest volume reached for my group was like
2x5x20 +1x5x30…

1.5 mi or 2 km

I don’t have access to the high school weights which are nowhere close to what 24 hour fitness has.

Lance Bauman seems to be doing 4X10 + 4X20 + 4X30, which is less volume and with world class people.

Anybody have any thoughts about the wisdom (injury risk) of doing this with 50 pounds on the sled?

Why was Charlie not a big fan of field turf?

I don’t remember him ever saying that. I remember him saying ASTROturf but not field turf.

I thought CF’s issue with turf was more related to tempo work-preferred grass.

This is the thoughest week, with sneakers…with no other speed work that day,
it will quickly regress to 2x (2+2) x 20 and 1x (2+2) x 30m with spikes on, to 1 month with just 2-4 reps of 20m preceding actual acceleration work.
I emphasized sled work to work on some minor adjustments on accelelration technique.
My top male is in the 10 "40 area.

He didnt like the way it absorbed and gave off force, almost like you had to wait for it to rebound…somthing along those lines

Make your calves tight.

Exactly. Charlie didn’t like the surface and the effect of running on that surface.

And the way I see it, those comments apply just as much to pulling sleds as they do to tempo or strength endurance. Doesn’t matter much to me, because the local places that have field turf aren’t going to let me pull a sled with 50 pounds on it on their football field anyway.

Have you experienced this?

I have not and I have to run on field turf probably 5 days out of the week in winter.

Yes, in both of my calves…

Just to clarify, we are talking about the black rubber gritty stuff with the fake grass right?

You got it!

I’m not going to argue with Charlie on something like this. I sometimes do warmup strideouts on the field turf, but that’s the extent of it.

By necessity, all my athletes train on field turf for tempo and speed work. I have not seen any calf cramping. With some of my faster athletes, I have seen several hamstring issues doing accel work on it however. Not sure if it is due to turf or not.

an Olympic 100m athlete I worked with hated field turf. He said it absorbed too much and he always felt really sore in the hamstrings after tempo on it. Like ESTI said it is often out of necessity more so than preference.

I don’t like the feel of running on it but sometimes that is all you have.

Agreed grass is better I switched to field turf after a month of grass and felt stiff after a few sessions.

Now… if you HAD to use field turf the more padding the better right? I was thinking of getting some used turf for team sport guys and for doing drills for sprinters but not for real sprint work.

What do you guys think of the ones with the thick padding.

http://www.ondecksports.com/index.php?fuseaction=products.artificialturf_used

Mate it is nothing more then compacted sand that is held in place by strands of green nylon that gives it the appearance of grass. I know of an athletic club that use it for the discus and shot circles, they have to share the field with cricket and are not allowed to have concrete circles.