Bolt to race in Toronto

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/570625

Can someone keep us posted to this event? I would love to go watch.

I know I’d consider buying a plane ticket to Toronto (from Vancouver) to see him race.

Any more news on this event?

Why not by a ticket to our clinic? Consider it money far better spent. :slight_smile:

The level of the clinic will be so far above my coaching abilities to the point it might not help me very much.

You have over 400+ posts here, has the site helped you much? Imagine the in person experience.

It has, but a lot of the discussions are way over my head. I just try to pick up a few tidbits here and there while not getting stepped on by the big fish :).

I used to be like you, intimidated by the achievements and knowledge of senior coaches. But in 1985 (maybe earlier) I approached Charlie when I met him a couple of times in Europe and asked if he would mind answering my naive questions. He said that would be OK but I would have to buy the cappucinos :slight_smile: Then I asked if I could put a tape recorder on so I could digest his advice over time. He was good with that too. I learned so much from listening and he was so generous in providing less complex explanations on a million areas of coaching - program theory, session structure, S2L (which only the East Germans seemed to be doing much of), tempo, weightlifting (which exercises), technique, block setups, response and the first three steps, the lift, relaxation on the run…endless. Now you can get that all set out systematically on the DVDs!

I’ve attended one of his formal two-day presentations (brilliant!) and found that he was happy to field questions on the run at any time and explain the key points in a way which even I could absorb:o… but I also think a lot of information was exchanged during the drinks and meal breaks, with CF mingling and chatting and generally boosting the confidence and knowledge of everyone in the room.

You have got to meet this man, you have got to listen to him in person. Completely unpretentious, keeps it as simple as he can. He’s got a wicked sense of humour and a spectacular bredth of knowledge on all matters fast! Go to the source of knowledge. All the guys 9.7 and better are just working off the templates Charlie devised. . . if you’re serious, invest in CF “live”. kk:)

So…missing something or has been fixed a seminar in Toronto for next summer?

Is bolt workin off of CF templates???

Glad to see a seminar on the east coast. I visited Toronto to work with Charlie a few years back and it was an excellent experience.

When I went up there, I was in my 2nd year of coaching and didn’t know much at all (not that I know much now either :slight_smile: ). The following 2 years, our college team broke school records in nearly all sprints (m55, m100, m200, mLJ, w55, w100, w4x1) and we had several D3 national qualifiers and 2 All-Americans (my groups are very small: ~5each year). I could not have done it without Charlie’s help. I was stuck in the mindset of a lot of the combine type guru coaches who espouse that all you need is to lift heavy weights and do some fancy exercises. Charlie provides several extra dimensions of knowledge that help you go beyond that mindset that so many are stuck in.

When many people first see Charlie’s materials, they readily adopt the sprint drills, sprint workouts, and weightlifting sessions. One of the real secrets is learning to seriously focus on all of the other modalities that he promotes and people often initially ignore (EMS, massage, specific PNF stretching based on needs, core work). The best way to truly understand all of this is to see it done in person and be able to ask questions on the spot. That is the great benefit of seeing him live.

Don’t be intimidated as the seminar I went to 90% of the people never asked a question, of course I was in the 10% :p. CF answers all questions put to him and ensures there is understanding before moving on. There is also the interaction with others there. I consider the seminar I attended in Aus one of the most enjoyable and beneficial things I have done. If I could afford to go to other ones I would.

Thanks guys! Your checks are in the mail. (Hope the postie doesn’t decide to keep em this time!)

What is S2L? Thanks

short to long

I’m guessing Short to Long.

I really didn’t get it!:eek:

Doh!:o

Aths: Bolt to run in Canada in June Aths Bolt

KINGSTON, March 5 AFP - Jamaica’s triple Olympic gold medallist Usain Bolt will run in the 100m at the Toronto Festival of Excellence on June 11, the athlete’s agent said on Thursday.

``This is a new meeting and we are very happy to participate and give the many Jamaicans living in Canada the opportunity to see Usain compete,’’ Simms said of event that will be held at the University of Toronto’s Varsity Centre.

Simms added that Bolt will be accompanied by ``a strong presence from other Racers Track Club athletes, also coached by Glen Mills, including PACE athletes Jermaine Gonzales, Xavier Brown and Mario Forsythe.’’

Gonzales is an IAAF World Junior and Commonwealth Games 400m bronze medallist who switched to Mills’ Racers TC last year, while Brown is a former Caribbean and Central American 200m gold medallist.

Bolt set individual world records in winning the 100m and 200m gold at Beijing, and was part of Jamaica’s triumphant, world record-setting 4x100m relay.

He is scheduled to run his first 100m of the season next Saturday, March 14, at the GC Foster Classic in Angels, St Catherine, the same meet he ran his first 100m last season, when he won easily in 10.03sec.
AFP

THIS REPORT LOOKS MORE DETAILED…

KINGSTON, March 5, 2009 (AFP) - Jamaica’s triple Olympic gold medallist Usain Bolt will run in the 100m at the Toronto Festival of Excellence on June 11, the athlete’s agent said Thursday.
This is a new meeting and we are very happy to participate and give the many Jamaicans living in Canada the opportunity to see Usain compete,'' Simms said of the meeting that will be held at the University of Toronto's Varsity Centre. Simms added that Bolt will be accompanied by a strong presence from other Racers Track Club athletes, also coached by Glen Mills, including PACE athletes Jermaine Gonzales, Xavier Brown and Mario Forsythe.’’
Gonzales is an IAAF World Junior and Commonwealth Games 400m bronze medallist who switched to Mills’ Racers TC last year, while Brown is a former Caribbean and Central American 200m gold medallist.
Bolt set individual world records in winning the 100m and 200m gold at Beijing, and was part of Jamaica’s triumphant, world record-setting 4x100m relay.
He is scheduled to run his first 100m of the season next Saturday, March 14, at the GC Foster Classic in Angels, St Catherine, the same meet he ran his first 100m last season, when he won easily in 10.03sec.
Bolt’s first major meet is expected to be the Jamaica International Invitational in Kingston on May 2, and he is also slated to race at the Reebok Grand Prix in New York on May 30 - the same meet where he first broke the 100m world record last year with a time of 9.72sec.
Bolt’s manager Norman Peart said the athlete so far does not have any competition scheduled for April.
Bolt has three starts under his belt so far this year: a 400m in 46.35sec on Feb 14 in Kingston, another 400m in 45.54sec a week later in the Jamaican capital and a relay meeting on Feb 28 in Kingston where he competed in a 4x100m and a 4x400m.