Golden Gala Mens 100m Heats

Jackie Joyner K always spoke of those types of workouts. Maybe you would like to charge Bobby with child abuse :slight_smile: Not a bad idea actually…

JJK was no kid when she was doing that! She worked bloody hard but was prepared for that hard work over years.
I remember John Smith telling me about "this amazing athlete’ when she was a three sport star at UCLA before she specialized in track.

G’day Mortac8

I was talking about:
"who gives a very young kid who is training to be a sprinter’

As Charlie said Jackie Joyner was no ‘very young kid’.

JJK can chew up 600’s like they were nothing. A good friend who observed it said it was extremely impressive. As observed, she was in her late 20’s at that point.

Any person (I’m loathe to call them a coach) who gives a very young kid who is training to be a sprinter, a session of 15 x 200m should be charged with child abuse.

Grow up Youngy!

JB is coming up shortly.

:cool:

P.S. I really should not but…

If the kid is still able to run in 6 months it will be an achievement.

This kind of comment just proves that there are no coaches who could possibly coach pro runners. I call them punters.

I won’t disclose this kid’s identity but if you had a chance to know whom I am talking about you would really keep quiet.

600s are the key to 100h, LJ, HJ, SP, 200, and JT

Bring back memories of John Smith sprints, starts, and relays vid.

Sample End workouts:
10-15x200 70-80% 90sec rest or walk 100
600 500 400 300 200 wlk 100m less then run distance
distance or fartlek

Sevas - post your anti pro running crap on that thread you devoted to it, it has nothing to do with this thread. We’re all tired of your rants, that’s why those threads died out. Please don’t change the direction of this thread.

This is a totally different topic and having read that someone gives a very young kid a session of 15 x 200’s as part of a sprint prep I felt concerned enough to comment. In my view, it is tantamount to child abuse. It serves no purpose and would not help their sprints one iota. I doubt the kid will be around in 12 months if that’s typical of the training he gets.

btw, The training effect on VERY YOUNG kids doing sessions like 15 x 200’s is light years away from the training effect on mature aged athletes.

Apparently in Bobby’s mind 600’s are the key to all events :rolleyes:

Deleted…

This is weird.

“It seems that you are “cut” a bit and have been “stalking” those “online coaches” with a bit of agenda?”

What the hell you talking about? Cut about what? Stalking who? I didn’t even read that anti pro running thread because I wasn’t interested.

I was merely commenting on a training regime for a very young kid and now you’re on about something totally random to the discussion.

15 x 200’s for a very young kid is a fricken nonsense and I doubt there’s one self respecting decent sprint coach who makes a very young kid do that. That is all.

Deleted…

Believe what you want to believe. I’m not fussed.

The name of the thread was a give away that it was anti Jim Bradley so I chose not to read it. Plus the fact I’d read enough of your hatred on the Allan Wells thread.

Anyway back to the actual issue - 15 x 200’s to very young kids - that’s sad. The parents should be alerted that there are decent coaches available who are not so ego driven to destroy a young kid’s enthusiasm for the sport.

Deleted…

Can’t you guys argue in PMs? This is ridiculous. Nobody else cares who wins the arguments - you don’t need our approval and can win/lose in private. One of the reasons CF forums are the best IMO is the absence of crap like this. Get rid of it.

You are right rainy.here…done.

hi rainy,

I was simply discussing the training regime offered to a young child.

But every time I try to discuss things rationally, I get personally attacked. I’d love to know what I’ve written that has attracted such poisonous responses and to be personally villified.

Deleted…not thread related

Youngy

Stephen Francis, John Smith, Clyde Hart are some of the coaches who practice similar number of reps on tempo days over 200m.

My opinion on this type of training when it comes to developing athletes from my own experience is as follows;

1. Children generally have quicker recovery than mature athletes.
  2. Not all developing athletes are suited to this type of training.
  3. A careful and selective approach should be applied when giving such a training session.
  4. Those who have been doing this type of training over longer period of time are well adapted to it.
  5. The intensity varies from 70-75%
  6. Generally developing athletes can continue with the rest of the training session some 10-15 min. after completion of the 200m tempo runs.
  7. Heart rate after completion of such a tempo session should generally be within 120-150 range.

15x200m is done ONLY ONCE in a calendar year during SPP or during early PRE COMP phase at latest.

Clyde Hart has structured this particular block of 200m runs in this way;

16x200m at 36sec. with 2.5-3min break
15x200m at 35sec. with 2.5-3min break
14x200m at 34sec.
13x200m at 33sec.

5x200m at 25sec.

So when one wants to claim that running 15x200m is child abuse, one should also UNDERSTAND that running 15x200m @ 35 seconds is almost as fast as jogging during a warm up.

15x200m is DONE ONCE in a season and at a slow pace on a recovery day.

All of my athletes who either run 200m or 400m have been doing this type of training for years and each year have improved.

While doing this type of training with developing athletes I found it quite SAFE and also PREVENTIVE (from shin splints/injuries) if it is applied in a controlled and monitored fashion. None of my developing athletes EVER had shin splints, or any other serious type of injuries other than regular growth related ones when going through growth spurt or puberty.

Whilst observing our training sessions and progressions of my developing athletes numerous parents have approached and asked either to coach their children or alternatively recommend someone or give them some pointers. Many of these developing athletes have had suffered numerous injuries, chronic fatigue, and ultimately have underperformed at major meets.

The kid in question is more than suited for this type of exercising. It suits his physique, running style, and he has responded to this type of training quite remarkably from a season to a season improving not only his PBs but also club, region and state records.

Did I mention that after years of running the 200s on tempo days he never got injured, had a quick recovery and quite enjoys running on tempo days as he finds it EASY or much easier than some other stuff we have been doing.

So your nonchalant comment about child abuse while running 35sec. pace over 200m is quite amusing to say the least.

It tells me you either have not done it or worst, you do not have a clue about this type of training nor its application with preselected developing athletes.

Further to our ongoing discussion, some info about Ralph White and his style of coaching juniors, developing athletes etc.

As of September 10, 2007, the Indiana University of Pennsylvania has announced that respected track and field figure Ralph White would be the official head coach of the educational establishment’s track and field team. This news bodes well for the school’s program, as it had reportedly been deteriorating rapidly for some time now and White is known to be one who thrives on challenge.

Ralph White first began coaching around 1974, upon graduating from Pennsylvania State. He first tackled junior and senior high school programs (Laurel Junior High and Eleanor Roosevelt High School, respectively), and actually led his high school team to consecutive victories and the number one ranking before finally coaching in college. From there, White coached at George Mason (1980-1984), which resulted in the “birth” of fifteen All-American athletes, two national champions, and a two Olympians. By 1988, Ralph White has become part of the George Mason Athletic Hall of Fame.

On his DVD “Conditioning for sprinters” around the 55th minute into the DVD coach White starts talking about “eliminators” and after that “additional circuit training”.

Eliminators

Up to 10 400m runners in a group run 400m with jogging as a break. The last one drops out the remaining 9 continue until they have a winner. The winner runs 9x400m with jogging in between.

They usually do 6-10x400m (with jogging in between).

Additional circuit training

4-5-6 exercises/ per set + 400s

for instance;

Mountain climbs 30sec. rest
Crunches 30sec. rest
Push ups 30 sec. rest
Split Squats 30sec. rest
Toe rises 30sec. rest

400m in 70 sec. 1 min. rest
400m as fast as the 1st time 3min. rest

That’s one set!

They do up to EIGHT (8) sets!

Depending on the time of the season they could run 200s instead in 31-32sec.

Or down to 100s in 14-15sec.

Just a reminder;

Ralph White first began coaching around 1974, upon graduating from Pennsylvania State. He first tackled junior and senior high school programs (Laurel Junior High and Eleanor Roosevelt High School, respectively), and actually led his high school team to consecutive victories and the number one ranking before finally coaching in college.