Christophe Lemaitre 10.04..Can he break 10 sec ?

My perception is that that he found the perfect competitive setting for the 10.04 run. Championship environment, athletes who could push but not be him if he executed, very good facilities and pleasant weather. Other than maybe gaining a slight bump in mps of wind that may be tough to replicate until next year’s Euro’s.

Well if that is so, it might be best to try only the 200 if conditions are less than ideal. In that case, maybe that is the plan- enter both and then see what event the conditions favor.
Hopefully just one or the other before Berlin.

There is much less pressure on the young man in the 200m. He has set expectations into the stratosphere with his run at Euro Jr’s. A less than outstanding run in the 200m won’t have the same public relations effect, IMO. Yes just one and the relay in Berlin.

Not yet. Today in Castres, Christophe ran 10.20 (w-0.1), winning from Chris Lawson 10.29 and David Alerte 10.34. At 200m, he placed second in 20.73 (-1.1) behind Alerte in 20.65.

what was the weather like?..100m time is decent enough…

http://www.lequipe.fr/Portfolio/Aussi/bloc_photo.html?ID=12414

Big sun. He said he messed up the start. Was probably tensed to run against the clock, after a week of media fuss about his possible sub10 intrusion, beeing a white, a junior, etc…

Confirming my point earlier in the thread. :wink:

I totally agree, and I think this is what has happened with a number of British sprinters that were successfull at the junior level. Especially Malcom Lewis Francis. When he was a junior - he was the fastest junior in the world for two years, and he was only training three days a weak. In the summer, one of those days was sometimes just a competition day plus two training days. Then when he started to compete against the seniors he got beaten and I don’t hink his coach handled that so well. No I can happily train 6 days a weak (sometimes 7) because of the nature of my training, and cause I am used to it. But I think Malcom Lewis Francis probably ramped up his training, too much too soon, at high intensity level, and probably started doing 5 or 6 days a weak. Christian Malcom is another sprinter that was better as a junior than a senior.

Who is Malcom Lewis Francis?

I believe he is referring to Mark Lewis-Francis.

I tell you story about my friend and former teammate. You can guess his name. He is from the Czech Republic. At his teens he was long and triple jumper with the best of 24ft and 50ft. When he was 17 he tried for the first time 400m, without training for that. And he ran 49 flat. And since then he started racing 400m but again without special training (still more LJ TJ). He improved to mid 47 when he was 19 or 20. In 1997 because of triple jump exp. and with gool jumping ability and natural endurance his coach decided to start preparing for 400mH. The started training in March 1997. First competition over 400mH was at the end of April and he ran 52.0 hand time. Second his race was in mid May with result 50.04 and he continued improoving till August when he ran like 21-years-old 48.27 and he was finalist of WCH in Athen.

I tell you story about my friend and former teammate. You can guess his name. He is from the Czech Republic. At his teens he was long and triple jumper with the best of 24ft and 50ft. When he was 17 he tried for the first time 400m, without training for that. And he ran 49 flat. And since then he started racing 400m but again without special training (still more LJ TJ). He improved to mid 47 when he was 19 or 20. In 1997 because of triple jump exp. and with gool jumping ability and natural endurance his coach decided to start preparing for 400mH. The started training in March 1997. First competition over 400mH was at the end of April and he ran 52.0 hand time. Second his race was in mid May with result 50.04 and he continued improoving till August when he ran like 21-years-old 48.27 and he was finalist of WCH in Athen.

I tell you story about my friend and former teammate. You can guess his name. He is from the Czech Republic. At his teens he was long and triple jumper with the best of 24ft and 50ft. When he was 17 he tried for the first time 400m, without training for that. And he ran 49 flat. And since then he started racing 400m but again without special training (still more LJ TJ). He improved to mid 47 when he was 19 or 20. In 1997 because of triple jump exp. and with good jumping ability and natural endurance his coach decided to start preparing for 400mH. They started training in March 1997. First competition over 400mH was at the end of April and he ran 52.0 hand time. Second his race was in mid May with result 50.04 and he continued improoving till August when he ran like 21-years-old 48.27 and he was finalist of WCH in Athen. After 5 month of special training! He is now 33 and He never improved that time! He is very hard worked, may be harder he used to be! He ran more then before, but no improvement. In the past he did not too much. Just couple of running and mainly LJ and TJ training and with this kind of training he ran Czech record… And after that more, more… Does anyone know his name? :slight_smile:

Yes, that was Juri Muzik.

yes… In 1997 everyone thought he would run 47.xx soon, but never happened!.
Re: Christopher Lamaitre can run 9.9 or 9.8 or he never improve 10.04 any more… :slight_smile:

Hard work=improvement, sometimes it doesn’t work this way…

Correct. Well it’s been quite some time since he’s done anything in track, because of injuries, that I started to forget his name. Another british sprinter that’s got a lot of gym muscle mass, but did’t get faster.
As a side note; what happened to Dwain Chambers anybody? He opened up this year with a blistering 6.42 indoor 60 meters. What happened to ‘project Bolt’?

What comes to mind here is Charlie talking about ramping DOWN the training (volume) as an athlete gets more developed (and can handle less CNS volume)–with respect to Olu maybe not going over 3X3X60 and also Ben having shorter SPP cycles (re: The SPP Download) and starting with less volume as his speed developed.

I find it fascinating the link between the development of SPP and GPP and how an athlete progresses. I’ve heard so many stories of how certain athletes have had a good base of different events prior to starting their main event.

I’ve heard that Gary Reed was a 7m long jumper and 14m triple jumper coming out of high school. He carried that success to the 400m, and then eventually to a world silver medal in the 800m with a pb of 1.43.

Interesting how a base of skills forms the foundation of future success.

The GDR had their young athletes perform 5 different events for versatility. Sprinters would do long jump, high jump, hurdles and javelin. I believe this helped build a solid base of skill and physical attributes for future success.

Specific work varies through volume and intensity, but General work varies in type.

When an athlete stalls in progress at a young age, is it a function of special work or general? Is it a symptom of too much specific work not enough general?

I just found lots of high speed (300fps) lemaitre’s videos on youtube:

stride lenth drill:

//youtu.be/LEqOUx8sjCw&

//youtu.be/cGFmFgq1gRk

Start:

//youtu.be/Q2jFDZrUnDs

He even has an user.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CHRISTOPHELEMAITRE

sweet vids man, great find!
one thing I find remarkable is how smooth his triple extension is.