Bolt beaten in Rome!!

Don’t matter - it’s early.

i know. its much better than his last 100, plus if he had relaxed he wouldve won this race, but jgat has had a few more than bolt this year

Speaking of relax. I just got my copy of Relax and Win by Bud Winter. It’s going to be interesting to see how this book and the contents shaped Jamaican training.

I am sure you remember reading on this site many times how several of the Jamaican coaches were seen carrying around Speed Trap and The Charlie Francis Training System?

It’s interesting he put himself in the position to get beat.
I was not able to see the race from this post.
Did Bolt really not look great?

Ang he looked like he had no top speed at all (for him). Start was good, acceleration was fine for the speed he hit, and he maintained his speed well through the line, but he just never got going the way he normally does.

Yes Ma’am, I sure have!

I just think he isn’t training hard and takes off a few seasons here and there. Setup an Olympic Games and he’ll crush the field.

He’s obviously not in the best shape at the moment, but we’ve him drop his times in a matter of weeks previously.

Yep, this looks like nothing new. Right now he doesn’t look his leanest and seems to be missing force production at top speed (hips are sagging, ground contacts are longer, isn’t standing as tall). What’s scary as others have pointed out is his start looked phenomenal, if he gets into top form with that start look out!

perhaps he only ran it out to 30m and his instructions were to cruise it home from there… :wink:

Short to Long program?

exactly…

“I have always said you need at least 5-7 100m races before you can find your peak form. (400m sprinters need a bit less, like 3-5 races)”

Isn’t that almost word for word what Charlie has “always said”??

He references Charlie often.

He is probably one of us talking on this thread??

Were did the link go?

But jimson the owner of the speedendurance site works with Derek often.

I think it’s more of a concurrent program, i.e. speed is developed short to long and endurance long to short. This also makes sense looking at his current form. Acceleration is in place and so is speeed endurance (19.79), but top speed is not quite there yet.

Yes, that seems like the type of program that Usain follows and that is exactly what Charlie has promoted in his works. But let’s be honest, it’s mid-June and his National Champs are one week away. His top speed should already be in place for the most part. From all reports, Bolt has had a full year of training and hasn’t had any real injuries that would force him to miss training, so it’s really very confusing how his performances have gone this year. Worlds are less than 2 months away now! How much can you reasonably expect his top speed to improve?

Spot on. Without going back and looking at past years’ times, I’m pretty confident that he was dropping some nice stuff at this point in '08 and '09. He just looks “off” (and the times support that). Sure, 19.79 is solid, but he also had some wind. It’s a far cry from the easy 19.5s he’s dropped in pouring rain.

It feels like the year for Tyson to take the gold. His MaxV looked great early on, so if he’s healthy, it could be fun.