BFS Program

I would guess this topic has been discussed before, but I searched the forums and didn’t come up with much (maybe I suck at searching)

Just wanted to get some feedback from the experts about the Bigger Faster Stronger Program. I disagree with certain aspects of it, but can also see how such a program could be a good one for beginner and intermediate athletes (high school)

Could any of you give your feelings about this. What are the positives and negatives…etc

I may try the program for a few months and see what kind of results I get. I’ll let you all know.

+:
1: it has ol lifts
2: it has the major compounds movements

-:
1: the progression of loads are to fast
2: ignores supercompensation
3: the periodization model is very simplistic

Are you asking for yourself or for a team you are coaching?

I want to like it, but it seems that form isn’t number the most important thing. It also puts the focus on weight and always improving every session. This can be a double-edged sword.

I am asking just to get some unbiast info. Alot of high schools around here use it. Especially smaller schools were many kids play three sports.
I am also going to try it myself for the next few months…

Couldn’t agree more. We were using BFS during the early CF.com years and commented that perhaps it was a good program for novices.

However, in time we found that this program was a poor choice when used in conjunction with alactic and speed endurance track protocols. Overall sprint performances at each phase showed no improvement (in some cases regressed) when we followed the program as designed. It was subsequently eliminated altogether.

The software was relatively simple to use. Might work with moderations. And then again it wouldn’t be the program as structured, would it?:frowning:

I would try Mike Boyle’s Program. I know that’s a hot button here, but I think it’s straight-forward, good, and easy to apply.

You could also do what i do :smiley: .

Our winter sports programs had three state champions and two regions qualifiers this year.

Dude they are hs kids and will respond to anything, i can have them do HIT program and they may win a state champ.

That’s only partially true. What it really comes down to is how well you can get them to do the exercises properly, first and formost. Once you can get them to movem correctly (the hardest part), then the results can come. A lot of coaches just jump right to the coolest exercises because they supposed to (they think), but no one does the form right. Who cares if someone has squats, deads and cleans in the program. It doesn’t make the program good, if they can’t do the movements correctly. A lot of people only focus on choosing the right exercises.

Tamfb, do you coach?

Yes i do coach, how may i help you.

You coach in the weight room? What ages, what sports?

You know what I mean then.

You said it’s easy winning state championships, so how many have your teams won?

I am in no way saying that i was responsible for the teams winning (that would be stupid as it gets), but i am saying that winning a state title in Florida or Texas is a big deal and a very good accomplishment. I don’t think that you should say that it’s easy to do.

What do you mean "coach in the weight room? I’m a sports performance coach hs/college/pro athletes.

You could have been a football or track coach. I don’t know.

Where do you work?

I’m late on my sleep, we’ll chat later.

I would call this a negative within this programme, as it is aimed at novice to intermediate athletes and sold accross the internet - the risk of bad form and injury is high as they’ll just jump in and try to lift on their own.
IMHO compound movements should be tought first and the quickest gains will come from them. Why teach complicated movements where it could take a couple of years for an athlete to get anywhere near lifting heavy, when you could do a few squat technique sessions and get them up to weight pretty quick. I think that ol lifts are an expression of how well you can use speed-strength, but they don’t develop it - basically if you want to clean more (once your technique is good) you won’t get far just continuing to clean, you’ll go and do squats.

Keep in mind too, that BFS sells clinics to schools to teach technique to the kids and the coaches who will oversee the program.

I see a lot of kids getting stronger and bigger, but few get faster, and that is when I get a call.

I think the biggest problem with the program is the speed/plyometric program. The off-season program is MWF weights and tues, thursday, speed and plyometrics. I recently read the book cover to cover and this is were the biggest weaknesses lie. The speed workout is stupid. First of all it is done the day after squats cleans and deadlifts…then the prescribed workout is simply this…10 x 40 yard dash with 30 sec recoveries. I doubt I need to expalin why that is a bad workout to improve speed. They also say you should do your plyos on tuesdays and thursdays…throught the entire year!

So basically the program looks like this.

Monday

box squats
bench press variation
Auxillary Lifts

Tuesday

Plyos
10 x 40 Yard with 30 sec recoveries

Wednesday

Powercleans
Trap Bar Deadlifts
Auxillary Lifts

Thursday

same as tuesday

Friday

Squats
Bench
Auxillary Lifts

I think that the weight program is fine for beginners/intermediates and like someone posted before untrained inexperienced athletes will respond to almost anything. Plus the program leaves some flexibility with the auxiliary lifts.

I just think its retarded to do plyos 52 weeks per year and the “speed” training program is obviously stupid.

With beginners/intermediates, I don’t think there is enough time to recover to sprint/do plyos effectively, as there will be significant DOMS from the day before, most likely.

Not to mention doing the same workout 52 weeks of the year is probably not a good idea.

Is this for football or track?

I would imagine using a program similar to the one outlined in GPP Essentials, albeit with lowered running volumes (speed and tempo) and a focus on the weights (often I think the young beginner/intermediate athletes benefit the most from developing general strength), perhaps with weights (atleast lower body) on the same day after speed work would be a solid program for increasing strength and speed for football.