Best technician of today

let me put the question to u guys here. in honest opinion, who do u guys feel is the best technician/mover in the sprint world atm?

in my opinion it is:

1. Christian Malcolm/Frankie Fredericks
  2. Maurice Greene
  3. would have to think about this spot!:sing:

we’ve had some greats in carl (the best ever in my opinion - i know i know what is going on atm lol lets not get into it).

tommie smith was great. quarrie was great for the 200m especially the turn and as was mike marsh.

who do u guys think honetly?

we should have a poll to decide who is the best.

1 vote for Frankie right here!!

Originally posted by prophet
Anyone at the elite level would have to be an excellent technician or else they wouldn’t be at that level! Doesn’t mean that their race is perfect but it’s better than the others.

Yeah right.
Look at Gail Devers arms. Check out Mary Onyali. Chandra Stirrup, Muna Lee. And thats just the girls.

i heard last off season bennett ran meets for his football conditioning and went sub-10. anyone else hear about that?

i doubt it… it prob wasnt F.A.T. and it would have been on the world list if it was.

Nice to have you here Floats!!! Any new spikes from puma??? I might even venture to put Ato up there, but you know i am going to agree with Frankie. As well, what about Kento??? Tommie Smith is an all time great!!! Edwin moses??? He was poetry. See ya

hmmm frankie…

watching him run, it seems he has little brute power ala mo greene and runs more with style…which is a good thing i guess…

ever noticed his hands on the upswing dont come up to the middle of his body? they stay out parallel with his shoulders…sure i read somewhere on this website that it wastes energy or something…

my vote?

i like the way mo greene cycles his legs and arms, seems to push out the back but in a good way.

carl was always good with that knee lift and end race speed :slight_smile: ben, i dunno, seemed more of a power sprinter rather than a stylist - no dorsiflexing, etc. (remember this is just my 20c OPINION).

of course michael johnson in the 400/200…took his own style and made it work for him…if u saw any athletics carnival after olympics or world championships, all the 400 runners were mimicking his style - now thats an endorsement- no matter how little it suited them. in that way he made a quantam leap in sprint style…opened a lot of ppl’s eyes methinks…

discuss

Mo Greene & Christian Malcom

Honorable mention Terrance Trammell(sometimes)

being a football guy, the guy in todays game that brings tears to my eyes when he runs is Michael Bennett from the vikings.

bennett’s bio

I would have to say without a doubt the best technician was/is Mo Greene. I have yet to see someone as impenetrable as Mo was during the 2001 World Outdoor Championships. Despite pulling both his quad and hamstring on the same damn leg, he still held form and ran a 9.82. A true warrior.

DWatling -

Repeat after me : Ben Johnson did dorsiflex, Ben Johnson did dorsiflex…:stuck_out_tongue:

top of the list would be CL.marsh was good but had some technical flaws which i can point out if you like.believe it or not burrell made huge gains in his technique from 93-94 onwards and i would rate him highly.mitchell was sound,ray steward,andre cason and FF are all relativly sound.

note that in 95 FF had alot of flaws even though he won the WC200m.the reason for that was tension,he has also changed his race tactics rather than coming from behind at 120.just a note to remember that all these elite guys have different techniques but one thing they all have in common is “relaxation”…

Originally posted by nightmare4d
being a football guy, the guy in todays game that brings tears to my eyes when he runs is Michael Bennett from the vikings.

I’ve seen him run plenty of times in high school and college, since I’m also from the milwaukee area. If he hadn’t put on so much weight for football he could have been right up there with the top sprinters in the world. Best thing I ever saw him do was in the 4x400 in high school. He was the anchor leg… got the baton about 20m back. He sprinted up to guy in front of him within the first 100m, then coasted right behind him until about 50m to go, and just took off. I also was in a 100m heat with him once, luckily I strained my hamstring that week in practice and didn’t have to get embarassed.

michael bennet is one of my favorite players in football to watch. being a diehard Vikings fan, i get to watch alot. the man is spectacular, and like mentioned above, could have been around world class if he hadn’t put on weight for football. he is a fabulous running back however, and has potential to be one of the greats. and who really believes that vick is the fastest player in football anyway?

Anyone at the elite level would have to be an excellent technician or else they wouldn’t be at that level! Doesn’t mean that their race is perfect but it’s better than the others.

Originally posted by ESPN3
i heard last off season bennett ran meets for his football conditioning and went sub-10. anyone else hear about that?

might be possible for hand time. He ran 10.12 or 10.15, can’t remember which, in high school, FAT.

What’s wrong with Muna Lee’s and Gail Devers technique? They look pretty good to me. I wouldn’t exactly call Mary Oynali “elite” and as for Chandra Sturrup, look who she’s working with!

prophet,there are sprinters on the circuit that mechanically are raw,do you remember daniel effiong…

Originally posted by dcw23

[quote]
You would have to see her from the front. She tries to hard to get her arms going directly back and forth. So it’s not a coincedence that she tightens up like you mentioned. That seems to be the exact reason why, now that I think about it.

I’ll take a look at the front angle when I get a little time then. I don’t seem to remember any probs? I’ll see if I can get some footage to post.

I think the reason she tightened was more likely Marion than anything to do with her arms! :slight_smile: [/quote]

Like Prophet and I are discussing now. The arms should go towards the center line. But Chandra’s arms go straight back and forth. And it’s pretty obvious that she’s actually trying to do that. You can even see that she turns her hands out to the side slightly to compensate for her arms being so close to her side. (I’m training a girl who does the exact same thing)
You can even try it yourself. Swing your arms directly back and forth and see if you don’t turn your hands out to the side. Even if you don’t try to conciously, it’ll still happen. Freaked me out the first time I tried it.:mrt:

I think Marion has something to do with it also.:smiley:

What’s wrong with Chandra Sturrup? See left.

I don’t know what happened to her last year, but I thought she looked great in 2001. Her major problem was tightening up like someone has dropped ice down her back in the last 20m.

Originally posted by dcw23
What’s wrong with Chandra Sturrup? See left.

I don’t know what happened to her last year, but I thought she looked great in 2001. Her major problem was tightening up like someone has dropped ice down her back in the last 20m.

You would have to see her from the front. She tries to hard to get her arms going directly back and forth. So it’s not a coincedence that she tightens up like you mentioned. That seems to be the exact reason why, now that I think about it.