Best technician of today

Originally posted by prophet
What’s wrong with Muna Lee’s and Gail Devers technique? They look pretty good to me. I wouldn’t exactly call Mary Oynali “elite” and as for Chandra Sturrup, look who she’s working with!

Are you serious! Muna Lee’s form is awful. There’s no way you can’t see that. One of the worst.

Gail isn’t as bad but, she has problems with her arm carry. She holds them out way too wide.

How come Mary Onyali isn’t elite? You didn’t see her in the 200 final in Atlanta.

Treble, check out the thread on Muna Lee(it’s near the bottom of the page of Biomechanics). I think if you watch her video clip in the 60 you will see her technique is good.

i’d be happy to see chandra sturrup from any angle hehe

[quote][i]Originally posted by Treble
Intead of swing her arms back and forth she swings them across her body and she ends up running with her shoulders and not her arms.

Isn’t this what you’re supposed to do? Watch Ben Johnson’s races his arms always swing across his body to centerline. Why? Because this allows full rotation of the shoulders which in turn allows full extension of the hips. As for her running with her shoulders, it could be because she’s tightening up and her shoulders are raised. I’ve noticed she does this at the end of her races. I do this sometimes as well, usually when i haven’t raced for a while. [/quote]

I should have phrased my self a little better. I know your arms are supposed to go towards the center line, but this isn’t what Muna is doing. Not by a long shot. When I said she swings her arms across her body, she’s not really swinging them, she’s twisting her torso, and her arms really aren’t doing much. Her arms don’t swing back and forth as much as most. Thats why she dies in the homestrecth of the 200 so often. At least at NC’s she does. It’s just amazing she can run that fast, with her form being that bad.

Treble, check out the thread on Muna Lee(it’s near the bottom of the page of Biomechanics). I think if you watch her video clip in the 60 you will see her technique is good.

I have tapes with her running. Her form is not good, believe me. She twist a lot because she doesn’t use her arms. Intead of swing her arms back and forth she swings them across her body and she ends up running with her shoulders and not her arms. And to think that this years form is an improvement from last year!

[i]Originally posted by Treble
Intead of swing her arms back and forth she swings them across her body and she ends up running with her shoulders and not her arms.

Isn’t this what you’re supposed to do? Watch Ben Johnson’s races his arms always swing across his body to centerline. Why? Because this allows full rotation of the shoulders which in turn allows full extension of the hips. As for her running with her shoulders, it could be because she’s tightening up and her shoulders are raised. I’ve noticed she does this at the end of her races. I do this sometimes as well, usually when i haven’t raced for a while.

You would have to see her from the front. She tries to hard to get her arms going directly back and forth. So it’s not a coincedence that she tightens up like you mentioned. That seems to be the exact reason why, now that I think about it.

I’ll take a look at the front angle when I get a little time then. I don’t seem to remember any probs? I’ll see if I can get some footage to post.

I think the reason she tightened was more likely Marion than anything to do with her arms! :slight_smile:

Chandra Sturrup GIF… still don’t reckon she looks too bad :)… maybe her arms could come to the centreline just a little more… I don’t know though, look at her knees.

Her shoulders are moving quite nicely. Nice hip height and foot contact too.

and frame by frame

great post dcw23 :clap:

her style looks ok to an amatuer like me…

ok now compare video of her and mo greenes arm and shoulder movements - all top sprinters have that looseness in the shoulders

credits to whoever originally posted this gif