Becoming a competitive MMA fighter

Hello all,

I have a kind of complex question. I am focusing on following Jason Ferruggia’s members only workouts for the time being…but there will come a day when I need to deal with this question. In sum, I want to train MMA next year. I also want to hit the weights as hard as humanly possible. I know it’s a bit of a trade off…and I may need to adjust my lifting program a bit, but still, I want to train like, and look like, an athlete. I see football players putting in gruelling strength and conditioning sessions and then going on to the pitch to practice, so with a lot of hard work, why can’t I lift four times a week and train MMA 3-4 sessions a week?

Here is the timetable for my MMA gym:

http://u.jimdo.com/www64/o/s9bc19215449718fa/img/i47eb37a227c0cb38/1380296788/std/image.jpg

As of Jan 2015 I want to be lifting in the gym from 7AM til 8AM, then driving to University to do my degree, then hitting the MMA gym in the evenings.

How can I get into the appropriate condition?

My plan is this…

April, May, June - Follow members only workouts, get stronger and into better cardio shape
June, July, August - Follow members only workouts, then add in an extra workout later in the day consisting of sled dragging, done heavy twice a week and then light for restoration once a week.
August, September, October - As above, but this time with two additional hill sprint days or kettlebell work.
October, November, December - As above but perhaps little enhancements, like ankle weights for jumping rope, or heavier sled work

Jan, Feb, March - Start with two classes a week, add one class per month.

Then I think I’ll be adapted and rocking and rolling. I will then spend all of 2015 working my ass off to get proficient in MMA, and then in 2016 start fighting competitively.

Please help me plan my training appropriately to get the best adaptation. I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks,
Rav

If you want to be a competitive MMA fighter then the focus should be fighting skills, fighting skills and fighting skills. Skills practice will begin to get you into specific fighting shape, from there it will expose your weaknesses and you can begin specific fighting fitness (cardio, strength, flex, etc) and skills (striking, grapling, wrestling, etc). Instructors and senior fighters will be able to guide you at that point, but first and foremost focus on fighting skills. No amount of strength or conditioning can substitute for skill.