attn. Charlie.. about timing your athletes.

if this was covered elsewhere please direct me to it but i would like to know how you timed your athletes during speed workouts.
in the rain today i did …

-3x30 meters out of blocks and clocked 3.9-4.1 (for these i had my timer set up at 30 meters and someone else near me giving commands) -is there a better way to do this…?then i did…

-3x30 meter flying sprints with a 20 meter fly zone -i clocked 2.91-3.04(i had my timer set up about 20 minutes from the finish line so he can get the best view when to click the watch however i still think it is difficult to judge when i cross the line) i finished up with…

-3x55 standing crouching start -i clocked 6.6-6.8 (for these my starter gave me commands from 40 meters away but started the watch on my movement)

can you please tell me if there is a better method for my timer?
also by the way how are my times?
i did not compete this whole year (redshirt/due to hip flexor injury last year) but have been training for approx 2 months seriously… my FAT Pr’s are 6.63 55 meters 11.00 100 22.02 200.

If you have the starter call out “go” from the finish line and press the timer at the exact time he calls out you can safely subtract .12 from the time and have a good indication of what your FAT time would be. (for a 30 meter sprint)

Cheers,
Chris

also, when timing the forty yard dash from a three point stance, do you go by first movement of the hand?

Hand timing in practice is so variable and used in so many different ways that I’d rather think of it as a comparison method for the coach and his own workouts only.

I always time from first foot contact. This has lots of benefits for the coach.

1. It is consistent across all start methods.
  2. It removes the coaches reaction time.
  3. It removes the athletes reaction time.

What it gives is consistency, which is the most important thing for a coach.

To get an indication of FAT time, add .5 second.

To hand time flys, stand back as far as you can, exactly in the middle of the cones. This gives accurate timing and lets the coach get a good feel for rhythm and consistency.

To get the most accurate timing, use a digial video, each field is 2/100ths of a second. Very useful for working on max v, also lets the coach see things that they wouldn’t normally see.

Personally, I don’t even see the point of hand-timing a FLY. For a short fly, 0.3 sec is huge, and the margin of error is typically greater than that.

Originally posted by briangates
Personally, I don’t even see the point of hand-timing a FLY. For a short fly, 0.3 sec is huge, and the margin of error is typically greater than that.

.3 margin of error on a fly! Maybe if you are in a rocking chair. :slight_smile: