Asafa, Mo, Tim, Ben Splits

My bad regarding the times. However, no others under 10 and as pierre jean said his training is completely different to the top guys with regard to strength training or in Pat’s case lack there of strength training. I mean who cares if the strength training makes a person feel heavy, it’s giving you a lot more power and thats what you’ve gotta have to compete with the best these days. Every time ive seen Pat run the 100m with a big name in the same race he has been blown out of the water and i think that’s a concern probably related to the lack of strength training. But thats just my opinion. He’s been going pretty well in recent years maybe he’s on to something with the way he trains but who knows(any way you look at it he’s an awesome talent, i gotta give him props for that.)

Sorry mate, but what you’re saying is a complete crock of shit.

Why does losing to big names reflect a lack of strength training if he has run 9.93 without strength work in the past?

He feels heavy when he does strength because he runs slower when he is heavier. Believe me, if PJ felt heavy, and ran fast - he’d put up with it!

I ve heard all sorts of things about Pat Johnson’s training but i do know for sure that HE DID strength training for a good few years. Do not believe all you hear its all flim flam, in particular that year where he ran 9.93 he did 1/4 squats of 200kg+.

Actually it was 180kg. Read what was said up top. Didn’t say anything about notlifting weights, it was upperbody weights he stopped, cuz he did get to top heavy.

As for bucking in comp, he did OK in Osaka in 2003 against Monty and came 6th at WCs in the 200m this year.

In these 2 cases, yes. But I have to agree with shanco that Patrick Johnson had his best performances in “smaller” meetings and was more or less disappointing in the “big” meetings between all the big US guys.
Maybe it’s his nerves. Who knows. In Paris it seemed to me like he was one more victim of “the Drummond affair”.

Would more weightlifting bring him further? Who knows. Patrick said in an interview that his most perfect races were the most relaxed ones. And he could not run relaxed between the big US guys.

About “little sprinters with little or no weightlifting”: If you look at Kim Collins for example it seems obvious, that 4 races in a row make him a LOT faster and what makes others tired brings him into form. So in Kim’s case I’d say he probably lacks stimuli in his trainig program. Patrick seems to be different. He is quite strong, he just has no thick limbs.

I don’t agree re-Collins: he ran very well in London just before the WCh, and again very well in sheffield. Why he didn’t ran well during the heats and quarter-final, and back to form the second day to take a medal in final is beyond me. He really struggled in heats and QF. I don’t think it’s strategy like Aziz did, he told me that he planned to run as slow as possible with his coach Riddick.

Crock of shit is a bit harsh but we move on. What you need to understand is that your upperbody does a hell of a lot of work in a sprint and if your upperbody strength is inferior to someone elses of about the same sprinting talent then of course that other person is going to have a huge advantage. Also understand that your mind will also play tricks on you in a race. What i mean by this, is that no matter who you are you are always going to compare yourself to other people in the race and if you see someone physically superior to you your always gonna think “damn maybe this guy can beat me, i mean he looks stronger than me”.
I guarantee you that people do this. I f you walk in to a room full of ladies your going to systematically rank them from hottest to not hot at all. Its just human nature :smiley:

the problem with PatJ don’t seem upper strength but posture
It’s difficult to see a sprinter of that level with his postur, also in Italy!

You mean posture while running or outside ?

Yeah thats what i said earlier in the forum. But it is also a good point. His posture is pretty stooped for a sprinter. Can it be corrected or is it too late?

“Flying” I think he means posture in general.

What I’m trying to say is that nobody blows 9.93 ‘out of the water’.

If he has done it in a small meet then he can do it in a big meet, no matter who he is up against.

If it’s confidence issue - weights aren’t the solution.

Which of asafa’s 3 9.77 runs were these splits taken from?

I would guess it was the Athens run as this thread was from 2005 and the other 2 runs were in 2006.

If you want splits (unofficial of course) from his other runs, I have them. I think PJ did some of them.

looking at mo’s data, there is certainly a huge accel(speed burst) from his 40-50m and 50-60m. A closer look at both splits show concurrent speed burst at this point of the race. Could this be a result of his John smiths idea of holding back during the first 30m?

mo’s splits are so weird. Its as if he goes 100% from 10-30m then relaxes as the momentum carries him and re-accelerates after his transition at about 50-60m.

Huh? Look again at Mo’s first 30m splits.

his first 30m meters are all out, but it seems as thought he takes his foot of the gas from 30m - 50m and reaccelerates.

Sometimes accel patterns are related to breathing patterns - higher on exhalation under pressure (valsalva) and less on inspiration.

oooh shit…would have liked to have seen more thoughts and discussion on this