Asafa 9.74 in Rieti!!!!!!

Agreed.

But what CF has been trying to get inside of is the “reason(s)” Asafa shit himself.

And whether there is any way to Resolve Asafa’s issue(s).

sounds pretty familiar to me.

As I’m certain AP’s training is part the problem, there will always be a question mark about his ability to perform under pressure until he’s able to produce similar results with the Tyson’s of the world breathing down your neck.

Like Mr. CF mentioned a before one doesn’t want their legacy to just be a WR holder minus titles.

RG

wow that is a sick race, he eased off soo much. Asafa please for your own sake win something now!

Great time. Where was the opposition?

I do hope he gets it right for Beijing next year, and there are 3 or more men around 9.90 (or under)

what a spectacular performance! Looks like the bigman with the shortmanstyle remains the same.

I think if Powell continues to run WR’s every year and by the end of his career only has one Major Champs win(WC or OG) folks will have to give him the nod as the G.O.A.T.

Their is rumours, of a 6.25 60m split, floating around at sprintzone.

If so, that is a pretty scary thought to see a guy 8/100ths of a second faster than Ben and Mo at 60m.

the front view is the best of the run, just the lift he is getting off of the ground compared to everyone else is amazing

What a boring sounding commentator!!

I prefer RECORD DEL MUNDO!!! RECORD DEL MUNDO RECORD DEL MUNDO RECORD DEL MUNDO

The extraordinary fact about the run was that it was only a semi-final - the final was due 50 minutes later - and not even Powell could have been expecting anything special as he shut down five metres from the tape crossing the line upright and clearly braking. His manner changed when he saw the time, though. Naturally shy, the 25-year-old allowed himself the almost embarrassed comment: “That’s what happens when I listen to my coach.”

That implies that he was not listening to his coach, Steven Francis, in Osaka two weeks ago when he threw away the 100m final and even gave up, on his own admission, the fight for silver.

In Rieti, 50 minutes later in the final, Powell almost repeated the feat when he won in what must be regarded as a better time of 9.78 with a nil wind. This time he ran all the way to the line and had he had just the gentlest of breezes behind him he would have gone close to 9.70. Not only has he broken the world record but recorded the greatest double in the history of track and field.

“I’ve been working on a few things with my coach and correcting some things,” said Powell. “I’d like to say to my fans that Asafa Powell is back.” The time of 9.74 erases the embarrassing stalemate for the International Association of Athletics Federations that, until Rieti, Powell shared the world record of 9.77 with America’s Justin Gatlin who is involved in a lengthy court case to clear his name of doping. But one thing Powell’s run does not dispel is the sensation that he is not a championship runner. In the 2003 world championships he was disqualified for a false start after setting the fastest time in the heats. In the Athens Olympics he failed to deliver when he was touted as the favourite and could finish no higher than fifth and in the Osaka world championships he was beaten by American Tyson Gay. But in Rieti, on a sunny Sunday afternoon with the Lombardy poplars bathed in sunshine, Powell was in his element, running in a small meeting with nothing to trouble him except the clock.

Powell had run 9.77 three times before, first in Athens 2005, then in Gateshead 2006 followed that same summer by Zurich a few weeks later. Gatlin had only run the time once, in Doha 2006, and with the same following wind that Powell enjoyed yesterday. So for many, Powell was already the fastest man alive because he had enjoyed a lesser following wind in his three 9.77s. Now, though, he has left no room for argument.

Lowers the previous WR twice in one day in Rieti, Italy.

We all knew he had it in him. This man will break 9.70.

“Today I proved to the world that Asafa is back,” confirmed Powell. “I ran easily in my heat (9.74 World rec).

“I made some mistakes in Osaka (World Champs) but today I competed as I normally should do.”

Not sure whether to be ecstatic about this new record or profoundly disappointed that he didn’t deliver it when he should have. And on top of that after chickening out of Zurich.

The previous World Record (Asafa’s) was 9.77. He did not lower it twice in the same day.

Charlie,

When i watched the WR tape on youtube, i was thinking something like “What a fabulous high stride frequency!!!”

I’ve read about Ben, over his carreer, improved his frequency. I woulk like to compare those numbers that u written down about his stride frequency with Asafa"s WR. Is it as simple as to count all the steps he took and devide it by his time, or did u adjust Ben’s time with his reactiontime, or anything ?

Cheers !

the frequency was indeed devastating until roughly the 85m mark when he started coasting and as a result: strides 41, 42, 43, and 44 were longer freewheeling less frequent relaxed strides.

I had the total strides for the race at around 44.5 strides. His normal stride frequency is roughly 46, sometimes slightly higher, when he maintains his natural frequency.

http://web.wcsn.com/article/news.jsp?ymd=20070909&content_id=41191&vkey=athletics_news&id=34003&dpre=

the 9.74 video on this page from WCSN, can be used to analyse the frequency. The pause button is sensitive and precise.

would like to now see the 9.78 0.0wind race. It is said in this race he ran right thru to the line. As well frater, ran 10.03, which with a decent tail wind in coming races should put him sub 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeCdXaKVgIU&feature=PlayList&p=724C04A2935F6473&index=0

Since the introduction of fully automatic electronic timing in 1968, Carl Lewis has been the most prolific world record runner at 100m with four accredited marks.

Asafa Powell has now equalled that with his fourth mark in Rieti (albeit his two times last year were “only” equal world record times).

When i was looking for some pictures of the Rieti race, i could only find a few, this one is from the IAAF site :

Somebody else found some great shots ?

By saying “That’s what happens when you listen to the coach”, I guess he means that he has to race every race, not ‘cruising’ tru the heats. He has the talent, the power, to give it all every time. He prooved it by running another 9,78 with 0 wind…

it looked fast…but im not sure if it was that fast…the clock says 9.74 < RECORD EL MUNDO!!! RECORD DEL MUNDO!!! RECORD DEL MUNDO!!!

From TV he looked more cut and defined…his muscles ready tp exèlode…maybe they just missed correct taper, other than psychologycal issues